Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 07:59 AM   #1
Weldon

Made it to Jekyll Island, but it was ugly

Made the trip from Atlanta to Jekyll yesterday, but the bands of the tropical storm were not very nice along the way. Random 55 mph southwest to northeast wind gusts and pouring rain. At one point i was going 40 mph on 95 South. Several 5'ers with 350 duallys were right there with me with flashers on and randomly getting pushed 2-3 feet right or left with the wind gusts. Thankfully, the storm is not reaching here until the end of the week, possibly the weekend. We leave Sat morning, so we may be able to avoid duplicating the effort it took to get here.

The pics show our setup and my "office" today and tomorrow. I have a few work things that I have to get done like my monthly 1:1 meeting with our Corp Controller/EVP. My early bird son woke up before I started eggs & cheese, hashbrowns with onions, bacon, sausage, and biscuits this morning. The Mrs. bought me a cover and travel bag for the Blackstone for dad's day, which was awesome. My family eats any and everything that's cooked on the griddle.

By 9:30 am, my 8-yr old met up with another 10 random kids we've never met, riding bikes all over the campground and playing basketball.

Nothing special to report. We love this place, and come annually. It's well worth the trip if you like non-hectic, non-crowded, non-loud camping spots near the beach. Quiet time is actually quiet here. No campers are to our left or right, but we do have a family behind us. However, they have 2 boys that are 8 and 10, so it works out perfectly.

On a random note, this minivan has a trailer hitch attached and a Grey Wolf TT. No WDH that I can see. I can't assume that this is the TV, although between 5pm yesterday and now, I have not seen a truck. They aren't our exact neighbords, but are fairly close. Not inquiring about it seems wrong to me, but I don't want to be an arse either. How do you suggest I let them know I'm just concerned for them an everyone else on the roads? For all I know, they could be the camp supervisor and they live in it full-time and the TV is at their home near here. I don't think this is the case; you can normally tell who permanently resides in their TT. I don't see how the back bumper and tongue wouldn't be a fireworks display going down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210621_082301.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	34195   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210621_082341 (002).jpg
Views:	149
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	34196   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210621_082353 (002).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	34197   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Mini Van.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	34198  
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
Made the trip from Atlanta to Jekyll yesterday, but the bands of the tropical storm were not very nice along the way. Random 55 mph southwest to northeast wind gusts and pouring rain. At one point i was going 40 mph on 95 South. Several 5'ers with 350 duallys were right there with me with flashers on and randomly getting pushed 2-3 feet right or left with the wind gusts. Thankfully, the storm is not reaching here until the end of the week, possibly the weekend. We leave Sat morning, so we may be able to avoid duplicating the effort it took to get here.

The pics show our setup and my "office" today and tomorrow. I have a few work things that I have to get done like my monthly 1:1 meeting with our Corp Controller/EVP. My early bird son woke up before I started eggs & cheese, hashbrowns with onions, bacon, sausage, and biscuits this morning. The Mrs. bought me a cover and travel bag for the Blackstone for dad's day, which was awesome. My family eats any and everything that's cooked on the griddle.

By 9:30 am, my 8-yr old met up with another 10 random kids we've never met, riding bikes all over the campground and playing basketball.

Nothing special to report. We love this place, and come annually. It's well worth the trip if you like non-hectic, non-crowded, non-loud camping spots near the beach. Quiet time is actually quiet here. No campers are to our left or right, but we do have a family behind us. However, they have 2 boys that are 8 and 10, so it works out perfectly.

On a random note, this minivan has a trailer hitch attached and a Grey Wolf TT. No WDH that I can see. I can't assume that this is the TV, although between 5pm yesterday and now, I have not seen a truck. They aren't our exact neighbords, but are fairly close. Not inquiring about it seems wrong to me, but I don't want to be an arse either. How do you suggest I let them know I'm just concerned for them an everyone else on the roads? For all I know, they could be the camp supervisor and they live in it full-time and the TV is at their home near here. I don't think this is the case; you can normally tell who permanently resides in their TT. I don't see how the back bumper and tongue wouldn't be a fireworks display going down the road.
I would have to ask the mini van folks if they tow with that & unless they start cussing ranting & raving I might point to the sticker on the door & the tag on the rv just for educational purposes. An RPod would be too much for that mini van especially with all the seats full of the family.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I think I would wander around to get a better view of the back of the little van to see if it had a receiver and/or hitch ball. If so I would make a point of being somewhere around so I could tell them hi and strike up a short conversation; where you from, how long you here etc. and then ask about the minivan towing. If so, go from there; if not, just go on with whatever comes to mind.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Weldon,
I guess you can only hope "Dad" comes "home" next weekend after working on a local pipeline or highway project and he has the proper TV that pulls that trailer around. If not, sourdough has a great approach. If things get dicey just summon for the Weight Police Special Ops team and the previous posters ( also myself and a few others) will paratroop into the CG and have your back!
Let's call it the SWIT team, See What I Tow.
Ok, Ok, I'm done.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
notanlines

I don't quite see that TT behind our Chrysler T and C. It has done a fine job keeping (so far) 35K Florida miles off the F-450, but to put a hitch on and tow that thing? Ain't no way WDH or not.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #6
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Weldon,
I guess you can only hope "Dad" comes "home" next weekend after working on a local pipeline or highway project and he has the proper TV that pulls that trailer around. If not, sourdough has a great approach. If things get dicey just summon for the Weight Police Special Ops team and the previous posters ( also myself and a few others) will paratroop into the CG and have your back!
Let's call it the SWIT team, See What I Tow.
Ok, Ok, I'm done.
Good luck
RMc

That made my day. My plan was to mention the grey wolf, tell them it's nice, ask how well it tows, then ask about the van, etc. If that doesn't work, I will call the SWIT. There is a golf course if you need to HALO, and of course the ocean if you have a Mark V or RHIB handy.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

That made my day. My plan was to mention the grey wolf, tell them it's nice, ask how well it tows, then ask about the van, etc. If that doesn't work, I will call the SWIT. There is a golf course if you need to HALO, and of course the ocean if you have a Mark V or RHIB handy.
Typically we arrive in the garage of a 43' toy hualer pulled by a F150 with air bags. Very stealth, no one suspects until that ramp drops down and all hell breaks loose. No "hup, hup, hup" sounds but plenty of ohs and ahs and "oh my back or knee" moans upon exiting. With weight slips and load rating flying through the air it can get messy so make sure you need us before sending out the call for help!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
notanlines

Weldon, don’t let him fool you. Sometimes we tow with the new Tesla ‘Plaid’!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:59 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dang it man you gave away our secret assault vehicle! Now they'll know what to look for!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
As long as it looks like this electric tesla, y'all would be fine. I don't think this is what you were referring to
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cybertruck_profile_transport-copy.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	34231  
Old 06-24-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
Weldon

The tropical storm was not as nice to some campers. I hate to see this. Thankfully no injuries.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210624_155406.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	34271   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210624_155427.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	34272  
Old 06-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Well, at least he won't have issues with water pooling on his slide awning.....

We got about 20 inches of rain in about 3 minutes last night (well, not really that much that fast, but a LOT of rain in a short time) and our slide cover was holding about 100 gallons of water this morning when I pulled it in to empty the "pool"...

We're about 20 miles north of Fort Wayne and last night's rain was as heavy as any hurricane I've been through.... At least there's no trees around us to help build that "drainage mod" he has on that motorhome.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
insidegeorgia

Quote:
We have wanted to try Jekyll for some time now. We generally go to Crooked River, just down the road in St. Mary's, at least once a year and we love it. I had driven thru the Jekyll campground and liked what I saw.

Is there a particular area of the CG that you like? We might try it sometime this summer.
insidegeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #14
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidegeorgia View Post
We have wanted to try Jekyll for some time now. We generally go to Crooked River, just down the road in St. Mary's, at least once a year and we love it. I had driven thru the Jekyll campground and liked what I saw.

Is there a particular area of the CG that you like? We might try it sometime this summer.
If you want to stay at Jekyll, book now. Call and talk to Ronnie if you run into any problems. He's the campground manager and has been there for years. You might (key word) be able to schedule time late this summer or fall. Some of their spots book a year in advance. I like the "T" area. It's the newest area of the campground and is considered the "quiet area." We stayed in T13 where there was no one to our right or left, but another camper directly behind us. We go annually to Jekyll. Next year we'll stay somewhere in the T section again. The store at the campground sells propane and a bunch of essentials, and there are 2 bath houses.
If you plan to stay on the island, just buy a 1-day pass to enter Jekyll for $8. You will only need to buy another pass if you leave the island 24 hours after you purchase your 1-day pass and want to come back onto the island. For the 7 days we were there, we bought 2 1-day passes. Much cheaper than buying a 7-day pass. If you have kids, take their bikes. Our kids met 10 others on day 1 and played with them all week. Every kid there had a bike. The roads are mainly dirt/shell so scooters don't work too well.

I normally cook / grill breakfast and lunch, and then we eat dinner somewhere on the island. This trip we tried Tortuga Jacks and Sunrise Grill for breakfast after one of the campground ladies gave us a 10% for breakfast at Tortugas. Both were fantastic. Tortuga Jacks is tex-mex (for example, I had huevos rancheros, and their margaritas are enormous).

Things to do while at Jekyll (there are more, but these are a few of our favorites):
-Bird Sanctuary ($0 cost - in campground)
-Sea Turtle Rehab Center / Museum
-Jekyll Mosaic Museum - provides a great history of the island, from Native Americans through 1900's.
-Summer Waves Water Park
-Red Bug Pizza (beside golf course and putt putt)
-Putt Putt Course
-Tortuga Jacks (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
-Sunrise Grill (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
-Driftwood Bistro (Dinner only)
-Jekyll Market - inside this "market" there is a to-go restaurant in the back that sells shrimp, oysters, clams, etc. and really good BBQ. You have to order in person, but it's well worth it.
-Horton House & Horton Pond ($0 cost)
-Driftwood Beach
-Beach by the pier
-Horse riding on the beach (stables are on the road with the pier)
-Bike trails through the interior forest
-Public Beaches and picnic areas

Note: There is no grocery store on the island. The "market" has some groceries and essentials (we bought aloe after i baked while taking the kids to the water park). Closest full grocery store is Wal Mart in Brunswick (15-20 min drive). If you like nature, drive slowly around the entire island around 7pm at night. You'll see dozens of deer along the road, in people's yards, etc. We would eat dinner out and then drive around the island before going back to our TT.

Hope this info helps.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #15
insidegeorgia

We have been to Jekyll several times, driftwood beach mainly, but never stayed overnight. Thanks for the rundown and the tip on the passes. I might wait until the fall to try and book something.

We are going next weekend to Watson's Mill State Park between Athens and Elberton. Its a SP we have never been there and are looking forward to it. I will post something here about our trip.
insidegeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote