Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 05:17 AM   #1
skids

fighting wind

Traveled from Home to Colorado Springs to Las Vegas NV yesterday. The wind was horrid against the right side from Walsenburg. Every time we went under an overpass that blocked the wind the trailer swayed. Then, the highway turned South and west where we fought strong head winds. The F150 was only getting 7 mpg!!!
Old 05-09-2021, 06:20 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Traveled from Home to Colorado Springs to Las Vegas NV yesterday. The wind was horrid against the right side from Walsenburg. Every time we went under an overpass that blocked the wind the trailer swayed. Then, the highway turned South and west where we fought strong head winds. The F150 was only getting 7 mpg!!!
Notuncommon for a 1/2 ton pulling a long trailer, I found out years ago and went with F250. Day and night difference, especially in challenging weather or situations requiring evasive manuvering.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Not fun for sure, even for us DRW owners. Back in ‘09 towing my previous fiver west in Wyoming on 1-80, my steer axle was on the right line of the slow lane. Rear axle was on the left side dotted line. Trailer was in the next lane. Big rigs with double trailers were even worse, lasted for about 4 hours.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

My thoughts, experience and opinions since we have about the same trailer. I have "an old school WDH and anti sway bar." The type with round bars and chains, the sway bar is a sliding type with adjusting tension. It helps, but there are much better systems nowadays. I am not the one to help you with those. You may need the best there is on the market.
I posted several times in the last year about winds I have dealt with and here is an example. I-84 northbound in Oregon just before dropping into Ladd Canyon. I noticed the semi in front of me with 2 empty flat beds weaving in his lane more than normal. I figured he was not paying attention. I was not having any/no weaving problems. We were around 60 mph as I recall before entering the downgrade. Near the bottom of hill we stopped at the rest stop. I opened the drivers door and it also most flew out of my hands. I had no idea the wind was blowing hard. I than thought back about the truck in front of me, it was showing me wind was a problem for him.
After many years of towing smaller TTs and other trailers with SUVs and 1/2 tons. Having a bigger, wider and heavier tow vehicle is an advantage. I am not saying you need one just pointing out they make a difference. I have towed in winds that 40-45 mph was as fast as was safe with the last F350.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I-70 and I-80 are "notorious" for windy conditions. I've driven on those interstates with truck campers and "flat sidewall trailers" a number of times. Every trip has those moments when the rig just "won't stay in the lane"... Go under an overpass or try to pass an 18 wheeler and you "get sucked into the lack of wind pressure"... When we had our Airstream, I can honestly say that there was "minimal crosswind induced sway".. It truly was a "much easier to tow" trailer.

It's part of towing with heavy crosswinds and not a result of the hitch (although the hitch can contribute to the sway). Motorhomes "fight" the same issues with crosswinds and they don't even have a hitch. Motorcycles are the same. Just look at any cycle rider who has to "lean into the wind" to keep the cycle going in the same direction... Sit upright on the bike and you'll be in the next lane. Go under an overpass where the wind is blocked and you can't keep leaning or you'll be in the lane on the other side....

Depending on the wind speed, gusting conditions and wind direction, sometimes it's just "easier, less tiring and safer to "park until the winds die down".... Now, we try to travel those two interstates at night or in the early morning hours when the winds aren't as strong....

During my days of "being stupid" we owned a 9' cabover camper and mounted it on a Dodge half ton supercab long bed truck. I honestly believe that there were times when the running boards were all that kept us from laying on our side. These days, even with a properly equipped (much heavier truck), we just "wait it out if the winds are too bad"...

And, to end this, don't believe that a fifth wheel "doesn't have sway problems"... Just like that motorhome that's leaning with the wind and moves over "half a lane" in the underpass, so does the fifth wheel.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I've lived my life in a part of the country that is known for high winds and being barren (except for a few years I was blessed to be in the TX Hill Country). Last 2 days have been 40+ winds and brown skies. I sat in the sunroom yesterday and watched brown clouds blowing off the roof of the house - depressing.

What you experienced is normal and it will happen any time you hit winds like that. The trick is to be prepared for them and to know which way it is blowing and anticipate what is going to happen when you pass that semi, go under that bridge etc. because you ARE going to move in some direction.

Sounds like you are in pretty good shape hitch wise, and probably weight wise, if the trailer didn't try to fishtail or wag the dog. I've had setups that in 40mph winds, with gusts, the gusts would affect the big trailer sides more than the truck and get it to start wiggling requiring me to get it under control. That was caused by too much trailer for the truck. HD truck fixed that part. About the best you can get is the constant "push" from whatever direction the wind is coming from, counteract it then anticipate when a passing vehicle etc. is going to interrupt that "push". If it's blowing hard you can shift an entire lane easily.

As far as gas mileage; a gas engine is not your friend in a strong headwind. 7 mpg. for a 1/2 ton is about right (avg). Might even drop lower than that (my maiden voyage with our last bumper pull - 10k ggvw - into a 50mph headwind had me running in the high 5s - 6 mpg. Should have stayed but had to go and it was 50 miles...directly into the wind so white knuckled it all the way - at about 40mph, maybe.

As for us, with all the modern technology I try to keep an eye on the weather along the entire route I am going to take. If there is going to be some sort of weather issue I stay put until the coast is clear. But, I am retired and can do it; sometimes other requirements make that impossible for a traveler.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote