Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
lightning79

Some Springdale thoughts

Hello friends,

Just wanted to share a few thoughts with you all about my 2014 camping season and my Springdale.

So I'm a teacher in northern Alberta, and this is now my third summer of full-timing it for about 8 weeks. Two years ago I bought a new, 2012 Springdale 179, and I pull it with a 2008 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton diesel. I'm a single guy, and I had never owned a camping trailer before I bought this one, so I pretty much just dove right in.

I know I'm overkill on the tow vehicle, but I'd much rather be overkill and have a super-easy towing experience than be with something smaller and more challenging, and the exhaust brake is great for the roads in British Columbia, where I am at the moment.

I know that Springdale is the economical line of Keystone, but I have to say that I'd strongly recommend it to anyone. In about 115 nights in this trailer so far, I haven't had any issues at all that weren't my own doing. After being stored for 10 months, twice now, the trailer is rock-solid. No leaking, water spots, funny noises, or anything at all. I feel that it is a solidly-built machine. I even accidentally left cookies in the kitchen over the winter, and they were still crispy when I got back here! ( I of course didn't sample them!) No bugs or mice got in at all.

Everything else has been great. The cabinets, heat, air conditioning, floors, walls, joints, and everything else still look like new. The wheels, tires, undercarriage and tow hitch are all solid, and I have absolutely no complaints.

The only issues I have are small ones: I found the mattress to be poor, which is certainly a common issue with all trailers it seems. A trip to Wal-Mart and a $50 1.25" foam mattress topper solved that problem. Also, the plastic valve thingy that looks like a mushroom on the black tank flush broke over the winter. No spillage or anything, but it seems to be a poor design, as I had just replaced that last August. Finally, the blinds in the back of the coach have thin white strings that go up and down each side, and they can get uneven over time.

Other than those tiny little things, I have absolutely no complaints about Keystone or Springdale, and I'd certainly buy another if I ever need a bigger trailer (The 266 RLS model is my favourite).

Just wanted to share a few thoughts, feel free to comment, and I hope everyone is enjoying a safe and happy camping season!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	6410  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
JoePK

Springdale

Hello, we loved our Springdale 266RLS too. It was always reliable and made really well. We just traded it in for a Cougar 28RLS for the bigger bathroom. Glad your enjoying it!!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Andymon

We have been very pleased with our 08 Springdale. We've really had no issues with it at all.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
cabinfever

Love our 2013 303BHSSR. Agree for an entry level unit, well built.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
gabell

2009 Springdale 266 RLSSR

We love our 2009 Springdale 266 RLSSR as well!
gabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
lightning79

Glad to hear I'm not the only one liking the Springdale!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
EcoBullet

Well, I wasn't all that pleased with a 2007 252RDLS.
1. There was an inside storage bin/hamper near the back door that was above an exterior storage area. The floor of which was thin luan paneling, stapled from below. It pulled loose and contents fell through.
2. There was a leak, probably around the slide, but neither I nor a dealership service department could find it, that caused a soft spot in the floor right in front of the back door.
3. I towed it less than 1500 miles and one tire was completely worn out. It looked like it was badly out of alignment.
EcoBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #8
poncho62

I bought a 99 Springdale 5th wheel last year...It had been neglected, had a couple of roof leaks, but picked it up real cheap. Got everything fixed up and am quite happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16R,!y0E9s2S6cvTBR+kuC6)Qg~~48_20.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	6445   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (2).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	6446  
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Criptix

I too have a 2012 179QB and overall it is a great RV. Small issues like you mentioned. Had to upgrade the cabinet mounting screws to longer ones so the doors would stop falling off, same with the microwave. It was hanging half out on our first trip down a bumpy gravel road.

Biggest complaint me and the misses have is the bathroom size. Toilet is super close to the shower and vanity. Makes it a tight squeeze to maneuver toilet paper in the right area if you get my meaning

All they had to do was get rid of the tiny table by the bed and extend the wall of the bathroom right upto the bed and you would have the 6" that are so badly needed.

Our goal is to use it enough this season to justify getting a bit larger unit next year. Maybe a toy hauler..........
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
CUFFS054

My 2010 rksl was my first TT and it has been great.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
dtas

We bought a 2014 202 Springdale and we are very happy with it. I enjoy making it exactly as I want it. The only "thing" is that the bathroom is tight, but we are small people and make due.

Me-Danny
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCat-Dottie
NewCat-Billie
'98DodgeRam1500/ClubCab/4X4
'14Springdale202QBWE
dtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
lightning79

dtas, I like the 202 model a lot, it's pretty much the same as mine, but the extra two feet or so allow the bed to be positioned lengthwise, which is more convenient, and gives better access to under-bed storage.

Glad to see lots of others like a Springdale, too!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #13
dtas

lightning79...access under the bed was a chore, so I "cut" in a sliding door. It seems that there are so many things to do to make it just as we want it. Cheers!

Me-Danny
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCat-Dottie
NewCat-Billie
'98DodgeRam1500/ClubCab/4X4
'14Springdale202QBWE
dtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
lightning79

Really, a sliding door? That sounds interesting, I'd like to see a couple pics if possible.

Kevin
Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
doug neely

electrical

I was hopeing to be able to contact Keystone on this site I have an electrical problem and would like to print off a copy of the electrical system for my 2001 Springdale fifth wheel but I cant find a way to do it on this site Doug.
doug neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug neely View Post
I was hopeing to be able to contact Keystone on this site I have an electrical problem and would like to print off a copy of the electrical system for my 2001 Springdale fifth wheel but I cant find a way to do it on this site Doug.
doug neely,

Welcome to the Keystone RV Forum. If you'll check the red disclaimer at the bottom of every webpage, you'll see that we are not associated with Keystone RV, Inc and they are not members here. Whether they monitor the site or not is questionable, but to my knowledge, they don't. You won't get a response from the factory at this website, but you can get loads of good, valuable information from owners who have been where you are with your RV.

Keystone, unfortunately does not make electrical, plumbing or chassis schematics or blueprints available. You simply won't get a wiring diagram from Keystone. And, if, by chance, you should find one somewhere, I've no doubt it would be more valuable than gold to other owners.

If you need to contact Keystone, their website is: http://www.keystonerv.com/

click on the "customer service" tab along the top of the webpage and you will have a number of options. One of them is "Service/Warranty Inquiry". Click on that, fill out the form, be as accurate and complete as possible and send it to the factory. They usually take a week or so to respond.

Again, Welcome to the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #17
twolabcamper

Well these are good things to hear...We are moving up from a popup to a 2011
266RL. We have not finalized the deal, but it looks good.
twolabcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #18
twolabcamper

Well, now we are looking at a rear kitchen model.
More counter space vs rear living.
But, what about input about buying in Indiana?
Not worried about the travel costs etc. just comparing to RV Direct/RV Wholesalers.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a long, essentially accurate line of complaints posted by members who have purchased their Keystone RV product away from there local area and subsequently having significant issues trying to find someone to service it, manage any warranty issues and support them with anything they may need from the dealer network.

Saving $3 or 4 thousand dollars may seem like a "good deal", but when you factor in the travel costs from PA to IN, you may well find that your local dealership can not only come close to the total cost, but also opens a relationship with a local service center.

Remember that Springdale is an "entry level" RV and since it costs much less than some of the more expensive models, there is less profit in the purchase. (25% of 20K is much less than 25% of 40K sales price).

The "price of the coach" is important, but shouldn't be your only consideration when looking for and negotiating your new RV.

If you are considering RV Direct/RV Wholesalers, ask them for the address and phone number of their "local service center" that's near you and call that dealer, ask them what services they provide to RV Direct/RV Wholesalers' customers. Don't always believe everything you see in an advertisement !!!

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
twolabcamper

Good advice.
Going to the Atlantic City show next week.
We are in PA, so I assume a PA dealer will do the warranty work from a NJ purchase?