Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
FRANANDTOMMY

Electric awning

we were told by our service advisor not to put tie downs on our awning while camping. Is this correct?
We messed up our old (non electric awning) last year by not having tie downs and while we were fishing a storm came through and before we got back to the campsite our awning was bent.

just want to do the right thing....
FRANANDTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
f6bits

Everybody tells me that mine (electric) had better not be out if its windy, so I comply. With tie downs, the wind is really going to jerk the awning around, and I don’t want that kind of stress on the awning system and mounts.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I'm not that familiar with electric awnings and perhaps that caution might apply to those. However, we almost always secure our manual awning with tie-downs. By doing this, it does reduce the strain on the awning and its supports and I would recommend that people use awning tie-downs for the manually-operated ones.

If we are just going to be in a site for 1 day/night and want to get away early, we sometimes leave the awning retracted- one less thing to do in the morning.

If it looks like the wind will be picking up and pose a threat to the awning, we put the awning in. We do this before going to bed as we don't want to be wakened up by the awning flapping about at 3 am in the morning. If we are going to be away from the campsite for an extended period, we also put the awning down.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
twstdpear

The sales person we were working with when we bought our TT said that the electric awnings are designed to withstand wind gusts, and that he personally has been in some pretty serious wind with it open and was surprised to find he had no issues or damage. He further explained something along the lines that the way the arm is designed with the gas props allows the awning to stay deployed while absorbing the awning assembly bouncing up and down.

Camping World's description for the Dometic 9100 Power Awning (looks similar to mine) says, "Knee Action design lets the awning fabric and hardware flex in moderate wind to prevent damage."

Needless to say, I'm a slight bit skeptical. Although given his stated experience and the bit about the Dometic awning above, there may be something to it. I still would err on the site of caution, though.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We have a manual awning so I can't address the "survivability" of the electric awning system, but I'd be somewhat skeptical of Dometic's statement regarding "MODERATE WIND" sounds to me like "lawyerese" for their way out of having to accept responsibilitly. All they have to do is be flexible on what moderate means and they're covered. Like you, I'd much rather err on the side of caution.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twstdpear View Post
The sales person we were working with when we bought our TT said that the electric awnings are designed to withstand wind gusts, and that he personally has been in some pretty serious wind with it open and was surprised to find he had no issues or damage. He further explained something along the lines that the way the arm is designed with the gas props allows the awning to stay deployed while absorbing the awning assembly bouncing up and down.

Camping World's description for the Dometic 9100 Power Awning (looks similar to mine) says, "Knee Action design lets the awning fabric and hardware flex in moderate wind to prevent damage."

Needless to say, I'm a slight bit skeptical. Although given his stated experience and the bit about the Dometic awning above, there may be something to it. I still would err on the site of caution, though.
I agree. I pull ours in when away or if there is any chance of wind at night. Believe me, even in a low wind (5mph??) it WILL wake you up at night unless your a real sound sleeper. Yes, the gas props work but it makes a big racket as if moves up and down

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
richf28

Last year I bent two arm supports on my Dometic electric awning. The first time it wasn't anchored the second time it was. It cost me 260.00 the first go around and the second time it was 500.00. Both times it was an unexpected gust of wind and I wasn't the only one in the park that happened to. From now on it's in at night, in if I leave away from the camper and in if it gets breezy.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
byrdr1

Wind will affect the electric awning. tied or not. I have had both experiences with mine. Tied out with straps and springs it will bounce with gusts of winds, I worry about it pulling from the rail at the top . Without tie outs it will flex the awning and it can pull the two poprivets on the right hand side that hold the rails to the body of the camper out of the wall... Easy repair!!! if you can find the large poprivets (got 4 extra now they come packed 6 in a box) and have a friend who just happens to have the right tool for the job. Nice to camp with buddies who do HVAC for a living.
I have tied mine out and will continue too as long as I take it down if we leave the camper and at night. It just is not worth it to leave it out. ITS not as strong as the older manual ones in my opinion.
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Stublejumper

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twstdpear View Post

I like that "sales person" in other words he will tell you anything for a sale and at the same time offer a discount price on parts if you bought the trailer from them knowing that you will be back to buy parts from them after the awning rips off!!! I would play it safe and tie it down.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #10
camper 2010

A few weeks ago someone had a post with pictures of his electric awning and had made some leg supports for the outside edge. With these supports, it will withstand about the same wind as non electric awnings. The electric ones will not stand as much wind.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
therink

I have been tying my electric awning down with ratchet straps for 3 yrs now with no issues or damage to the awning or arms. The key is to make sure the tensioner knobs are good and tight and that the tie off points in the ground are good and tight/secure. I use 12" rebar spikes. I have only brought the awning in a few instances when big storms rolled in or were forecasted while leaving the rig unattended. I see no point in having an awning if it needs to be brought in everytime it is breezy or raining.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
Brantlaker

Tie Down Poles

Here is Posts: 45
Power Awning tie down Poles
Here are the pictures of the poles I bought a set and they work as advertised they held up in South Carolina in high winds after Sandy went by on October 28th. This is not my RV. search in awing tie downs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awning Tie Downs worked great.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2222  

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
n4qpcham

Let me tell you about my Carefree electric awning on my old Kodiak TT: We were tailgating at my son's college football game when a thunderstorm blew in. We had left the awning out, and even though someone was in the trailer at the time, they weren't able to do anything. The wind ahead of the storm did the damage. Our Carefree awning had the "breakaway" feature, but it was overridden by a quality of workmanship problem. There were supposed to be two screws holding the tube that the cloth wraps around, to the hub that is attached to the motor on the end. One of the screws apparentley went sideways between the hub and the tube, instead of through them, probably during a hurried assembly(on a Friday afternoon or the day before a holiday?). It was not removed or another screw installed, so now the system is being held together by one screw. By chance, the improperly installed screw was on the lower side of the tube when the awning stopped when it was opened fully. The high winds hit the awning from the opposite end, lifting it above the end with the defective screw. Since that screw was not installed correctly, the bottom of the tube pulled loose from the hub immediately as the other end of the awning lifted in the wind, pulling the good screw on top of the tube out of its hole in the hub, tearing the hole completely. The support arms on both ends were twisted badly, but the mounting rail stayed attached to the TT. I was able to remove the bad screw and install it properly, and with giving the awning motor some assistance by pushing hard on the twisted support arms, get the awning retracted and locked for travel. I believe the "breakaway" function would have worked if the screw had been installed correctly. I now have a Montana High Country, and even though my Good Sam Insurance fully replaced the 1-year old awning, I never leave the 5er with the awning extended.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
billb800si

Simple:
Electric awning = only out when we are present. NEVER out when we are gone. It only takes a few seconds to retract an electric awning.

Back in 2006 lost a brand new awning on our brand new Jayco while I was inside when a wind came up. Threw the awning on top the roof and put two holes in it. Weather looks bad then retract!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
rwjejits

Typical advertising job, but fun to watch...

rwjejits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjejits View Post
Typical advertising job, but fun to watch...

Impressive, I've got a Dometic awning, but it's an entirely different arm support system than the one shown. I wonder if it's an "improved version" or a "meet Keystone's price version" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
billb800si

Here's a more detailed video of Dometic's Premium Electric Awning. This video shows not only the 100 KPH ( 60 MPH) but also the rain test. Finally it shows the retracting feature.

This truly is an amazing awning...
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Bluewater

I have heard that some of the electric awning manufacturers now have an optional wind sensor switch that will automatically bring your awning in if the winds picks up. good idea
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #19
wallet14

We had our electric awning out in ocean city md when a storm rolled in overnight. I woke up and went out to put it in. As soon as I opened the door a huge gust of wind blew and the awning went up folding in half with the supports sliding as though the awning was closed. It popped right back down to the open position with no damage. I was extremely thankful and I put it in right away. I think if it had been tied down it would have been damaged. For reference the tension knobs were tightened but the gust was powerful enough to still move the awning.

Josh - 28
Sara - 29
Son - 10
Daughter - 3

2004 Ford F350 dually crew cab diesel
2013 Springdale 282bhssr
wallet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
Brantlaker

I have electric awning on my 5er and I tie it down with adjustable poles in the front and ratchet tiedowns. I bought them from a fellow that used to be on this forum. They have held in 50-60 mph winds with no damage to the fabric or the supports I have attached pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Tie Downs worked great.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	4772

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	4773

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1808.jpg
Views:	266