Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
Steve Martin

Fresh Water Tank Fill Problem

We just took delivery of a 2011 Avalanche 290RL. Try as we might, we can't get the fresh water tank to fill above 1/3 using a standard garden hose. When it hits the 1/3 mark the water begins gushing back out. We've leveled the rig, raised the front, tipped it to the off side and nothing works. We even resorted to a funnel and bucket, but no luck. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
Steve Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Hi, How are you determining it is only 1/3 full. The tank guage? This sounds like an issue with the gauge light and not with the tank itself. This is something your dealer should be able to remedy for you.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

It sounds to me as though your problem is with the gauge rather than a plumbing issue. Usually, when water starts gushing out the filler cap, it is a sign that the tank is full.
Might be a long process but after "filling" the tank with a funnel and bucket, count the number of buckets you pour into it. Then open the drain/petcock on the FW tank and see how many buckets come out. If water keeps coming out after you reached the same number of buckets, then you know that there is still water remaining in the tank.
If you are close to your dealer, take it back to him and let him solve the problem - if it is still under warranty.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Idaho Avalanche

I had the same problem on my 2011 Avalanche 290RL. Gauge indicated 1/3 full. Drained tank into a 5 gallon bucket, only 26 to 28 gallons in the tank. I did this twice just to be sure. Removed the covered panel in the pass-through storage to obtain access to the tank vent line. Blew a mouthful of air into the line several times. That solved the problem. Not sure why the vent line was blocked. The tank had been filled (full on the gauge) before. Hope that solves your problem.
Idaho Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
geo

Steve -

I had a similar problem in an Alpine 3640. In the Modifications section, I posted the problem and my fix late last summer with pictures. Look for an elevated water fill line or a vent line that has a right angle kink. When the fill water would weight the line, it would slowly pull the right angle to almost close and I would get an unwanted outside shower.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
gkainz

something like this Water Meter can help you know just how much your hose has dispensed. I found one for less a few years ago at some drip irrigation online web page, which I can't find now.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
RAR

Problem Filling fresh water tank?

Water flowing and filling into toilet instead of holding tank? have no idea what is causing it? any ideas?
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote