Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #1
Woodz71

Backing for TV Mount

I want to mount a TV to the wall in the bedroom. Did the factory install backing to accept a TV mount? I would think they would but just wanted to make sure before I perforate my wall.....

Keystone Sprinter Limited 3551FWDEN fifth wheel.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Mount.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	27752
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Most likely not if it doesn't have a sticker stating mount tv here. Even it had the sticker I'd recommend using a stud finder to make sure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

I can’t tell from the pic, but are those black wall plates cable connections, power, etc or just switches? I agree that if there was meant to be a TV there, you would see some sort of sticker. Otherwise, maybe just use the tv pedestal mount that comes with the TV and before you move the RV lay it flat on the bed during transport.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:16 AM   #4
Woodz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I can’t tell from the pic, but are those black wall plates cable connections, power, etc or just switches? I agree that if there was meant to be a TV there, you would see some sort of sticker. Otherwise, maybe just use the tv pedestal mount that comes with the TV and before you move the RV lay it flat on the bed during transport.
Yes, the one to the far left is a receptacle and the other 2 are for cable connections. I bought the 5'er used so I'm not sure if there was a sticker there to begin with and it was removed or there was never one there.
I'll err to the side of caution and use a stud finder for the new mount.

Thanks for the advice!
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There probably is a 12"x12" plywood backer plate located somewhere near the center of that space. That said, I've seen decals located "kind of close" and I've seen decals located more than a foot away from the actual backer plate.

And, I've seen trailers with a decal where the backer plate 'should be located" and the factory failed to install the plywood backer between the studs, so there's "nothing but a 1/8" thick sheet of luan and foam where the decal is located.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure there's a backer plate there, then check again and have a second person confirm that it's really what you think is where you think it's located.....

Remember, the outer walls are 2" thick, the outside is 1/8" luan (possibly a double ply (1/4" thick) and the outer FILON sheeting.

When you tighten the screws, you dimple (distort) the interior wall, possibly making that 2" thick wall, really 1 and 7/8" or 1 and 3/4" thick, so take all that into consideration or you might just "screw through the outer wall and have a sharp screw point on your exterior wall.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tv mount