Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
b&k on the road

Thumbs up Dometic side by side RM1350MX

On vacation right now for a week in our 2012 Alpine and having problems with this refrigerator unit. It already has had a new cooling unit back in June and really hasn't been tested by us till now. Cooled well on propane while on the road it was at 39 when we set up. It was set on Auto so it switched to electric once we plugged in as the next day started it warmed up to 48 degrees so I put it on propane at about 1:30 in afternoon took till next morning to cool to 34. But then as the day went on the sun beat on the side of the refer and the outside temp got to 77 the frig went to 54. The interesting thing is that the freezer has stayed cold and everything is staying frozen. I just started measuring the freezer and this am it is a minus 6. Would like a littile of the cold air into frig. Have been keeping a record of temps in the frig and outside. There seems to be a corelation between outside temp and how the unit responds. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. Still under warranty.
b&k on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Ruffus

Unhappy Fan

The cooling fins have a slide on the one of them, it should be all the way over to the right and all the way down on thr fin for the coldest temp. You might try one of the battery powered refridgerator fans, it helps mine keep the fridge cold.
A fellow camper and friend of mine was having problems with his double door fridge and after replacing it three times the technition noticed that the outside vent on the trailer was to small from the factory. The larger unit needs a larger vent.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
b&k on the road

This unit has done away with the slide on the fin. But by outside vent do you mean the outside wall opening that you can access the back of the cooling unit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
The cooling fins have a slide on the one of them, it should be all the way over to the right and all the way down on thr fin for the coldest temp. You might try one of the battery powered refridgerator fans, it helps mine keep the fridge cold.
A fellow camper and friend of mine was having problems with his double door fridge and after replacing it three times the technition noticed that the outside vent on the trailer was to small from the factory. The larger unit needs a larger vent.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Ruffus

Angry Yes

Yes B&K, the upper or top vent cut out on the outside of you trailer. When my unit was replaced I found that the flue needed to be cleaned because of a little bit of sute. I took the flue apart and had no problem cleaning it. When I tried to do it on my buddies double door unit I wasn't able to reach the flue because the outside vent cut out was the same size as my single door unit. The only way to reach his flue was to remove the whole unit from the inside, that's when the tech told him that the vent was cut wrong at the factory.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
kroencke

We have a 2012 Alpine and started having issues exactly like yours. We took it in and they tested it and it cooled fine for 4-5 days. We ultimately discovered that the black flap on the left door of frig (when we had a lot of weight in the door) was not closing completely therefore letting the cool air of frig out leaving the same effect as leaving the door open. My husband adjusted the bottom hinge on the door and now everything is doing fine.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
b&k on the road

Thanks for the tip....I still may have other issues but I did look closely at the, for lack of a better discription, flapper or filler piece that is attached to the left door that fills the gap between the two doors does not snap forward far enough therefore the right door seal cannot seal...wow..cold air coming out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroencke View Post
We have a 2012 Alpine and started having issues exactly like yours. We took it in and they tested it and it cooled fine for 4-5 days. We ultimately discovered that the black flap on the left door of frig (when we had a lot of weight in the door) was not closing completely therefore letting the cool air of frig out leaving the same effect as leaving the door open. My husband adjusted the bottom hinge on the door and now everything is doing fine.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Jerry Roberts

RM 1350 MX Door (2014 Alpine)

I just discovered that when we close the left side door the black flap was not spring forward all the way 1/8 of an inch gap. We had the dealer check the thermostat and cooling unit all OK.

We discovered that if you push on the left door to make sure it is closed, it will cause the flap to "gap" and cool are will leak out the bottom. We have a very cool metal plate at the bottom of the food department, but the freezer dept works great and no cold points at the bottom of those doors.

The last few days we close the left door pull flap forward then close the right door. It works great: setting 3 holds at 36 degrees and setting 4 at 34 degrees.

We have in shop now and will post fix later. If any of you have a fix please let me know.

Jerry Roberts
Jerry Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote