Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
co99tj

Single Valve Hot Water Bypass Question

Hi All - new Cougar Half Ton owner here and new to the forum - what an awesome resource for information!

I have a quick question regarding the single valve hot water heater bypass on my Cougar travel trailer. I searched the forum but did not find an answer to this question.

Long story short - I'm trying to figure out which direction for the valve bypasses the heater. It would seem to me that the valve shown in the picture - perpendicular to the cold water line - would block the water heater from filling - but I don't know if that line should be perpendicular to the hot or cold water hose.

Can anyone help a newbie out here? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9030.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	23966  
co99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!! If your water heater only has one valve, look at the handle. The water will flow in the direction of the handle. If it’s pointed towards or away from the cold line IN then the water will flow into the tank. If it’s pointed up or down (in line with the bypass line) then it will flow into the bypass. There is a check valve at the tank on the hot OUT fitting so in bypass mode it won’t back flow into the tank.

Are you totally confused?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

In regular operation, the handle/tab is parallel to the blue pex water line. In bypass operation it would be perpendicular to the blue pex and parallel to the red pex. In your picture, you are in bypass position
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
co99tj

Awesome - you guys are the best - thanks so much! That makes sense to me now...so the red line is the bypass and the water will hit that valve and flow up the red pipe (and out the faucet if I turn on the hot water there) instead of going into the tank. Do I have that right? HUGE help - thank you guys!
co99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by co99tj View Post
..so the red line is the bypass and the water will hit that valve and flow up the red pipe (and out the faucet if I turn on the hot water there) instead of going into the tank. Do I have that right?
Yes and yes.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water