Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #1
Hey Louie

Fridge condensation drain.

While camping on our last trip I noticed a lot of condensation dripping off of the cooling fins on the inside of the fridge. After a little investigation I noticed the center seal was not closed all the way as I could feel cool air coming out from between the side by side doors. After making sure it was closing properly it greatly reduced all the condensation. But what I noticed when investigating was the drain pan was filling up, so I opened the access panel on the outside of the camper and found the drain line going to a drain cup with no kind of drain on it. Just doesn't seem right unless that cup is just suppose to overflow and spill down the side of the camper. It is a Norcold 18 cubic foot side by side believe the model number is 2118. Does this seem right
Hey Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
travelin texans

The tubing in the cup outside has a plug in it with VERY small holes in it to prevent small insects from entering. If you pull that plug you'll probably find it's plugged with dirt or water scale, clean it up & put it back (or not) & the inside tray will drain. Try pouring a small amount of water into the inside tray to make sure it will drain properly. I've never found that cup full of water so it either evaporates or blows out during travel what ever little bit it collects.
Another thing that will help with condensation is to put the small battery operated fridge fan in the lower rack of the fridge to circulate the air, we've had one in ours for years.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Norcold uses that cup and it sits close enough to a heat source that the condensation should evaporate.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Norcold uses that cup and it sits close enough to a heat source that the condensation should evaporate.

Tnanks Chuckster57, that makes a bit more sense. I think ours was full because we did not have the center seal seated properly. Since seating the center seal properly we have little condensation.

Is the heat source present when using electric or gas?
Old 06-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Hey Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The tubing in the cup outside has a plug in it with VERY small holes in it to prevent small insects from entering. If you pull that plug you'll probably find it's plugged with dirt or water scale, clean it up & put it back (or not) & the inside tray will drain. Try pouring a small amount of water into the inside tray to make sure it will drain properly. I've never found that cup full of water so it either evaporates or blows out during travel what ever little bit it collects.
Another thing that will help with condensation is to put the small battery operated fridge fan in the lower rack of the fridge to circulate the air, we've had one in ours for years.
Thanks Traveling Texans, I think ours was full due not having the door sealed properly. I found the plugged in the end of the line made sure it was clear and replaced back in the end of the drain tube. Since reseating the seal we have greatly reduced the amount of condensation.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #6
IHnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Louie View Post
But what I noticed when investigating was the drain pan was filling up, so I opened the access panel on the outside of the camper and found the drain line going to a drain cup with no kind of drain on it. Just doesn't seem right unless that cup is just suppose to overflow and spill down the side of the camper.

That cup is probably there to catch enough of the condensation to cover the end of the hose. The reasoning is to prevent warm air rising back into the fridge causing the fridge to work harder. Back in the day when we had just an ice box in the campers we would rig a small tin can to catch the ice melt water and cover the end of the drain hose so ice would last longer.

I noticed that the drain hose on my Dometic has a loop in it I guessed for the same purpose.
IHnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Heat source is there anytime the fridge is operating. Either the AC heating element or the LP flame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, fridge