Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Would you buy an extended 5 year bumper to bumper warranty?
Yes 2 13.33%
No 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Dave and Lynn

Warranty on Exterior of Unit?

Hi, Our dealer was telling us about a product that they apply to RVs that guarantees that there will be no fading of any of the paint or decals for 5 years. They say it actually lasts longer than 5 years, but the warranty only covers the first five years. It is a one time application, we wouldn't have to wax all of the time.

I am going to do some more online research but have wondered if anyone has heard of it or bought the product. It is called First Place Finish by Metro Tech Chemicals.

For our 40 foot unit, it would cost 1499.00. Any feedback, good or bad?

Thanks,
Lynn
Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Unless there is some reason (other than having an RV which is 40' long), why you can't wax it yourself, I would take the $1500 and spend it on some other upgrade for your RV! After a dealer sells you the RV, the next two items he tries to get you to buy are the extra 5 yr warranty and the one-time "never wax again" application. Save your money.
For the amount saved, you can buy a lot of wax and still have lots of $$$ left over.
I would get a good quality wax and if you want to make the job easier - get an electric buffer.
For your decals, some members have had good results by using Aerospace303 which has good UV protection and is safe for use on them.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Dave and Lynn

I'm glad you asked if there were other reasons we might not want to wax it ourselves. I am disabled and my husband has had 4 back surgeries. So pure labor like that will be difficult for us.

Our unit will be stored outside in the hot Colorado sun we get in the higher elevations.
Thanks,
Lynn
2 Fantastic Grandsons
2 Dogs, 2 Cats

2008 Ford F450 DRW
BMW Companion Hitch
2011 Keystone Alpine 3555RL

Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

That would do it and it does put a different perspective on your query. Having it outside in the sun for long periods of the year does increases the need for additional protection as well.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
tgaffney

First Place

We recently purchased the warranty and low and behold, we have some peeling paint (after the application). First Place Finish declined our claim. I don't know why, but I will be finding out tomorrow. I am starting to think it may be a waste of my money!
tgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Jager

Personally I'll be completely amazed if this isn't a complete con job. If there were such a thing higher end RVs would have it or at least offer it. My guess . . . they'll collect as many $1,500 payments as possible. Wait for the claims and to get sued. Then magically go out of business and declare bankruptcy. JM2C
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
antiqfreq

I would think depending on how your RV is stored that maybe paying someone once a year or so would be worth it.

Like said before, just filing a claim and getting it denied and now the hassle of having to get involved with that is enough for me to consider not getting that warranty.

This is just my 2 cents worth.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
pakuma

5 year protection

I just retired from the Automobile business. These "protections" are just money makers for the dealership. We called all of them "Mop and Slop", I finally stopped selling them because we always ended up covering "warranty repairs" as they were routinely declined. I paid for them because I wanted to continue to take care of my customers. If you choose not to wax your coach that $1500.00 will cover a lot of details.
Jeff E. Frankel
2013 Cougar 279RKWS
2011 Ram 1500 Hemi
Once an Eagle always an Eagle.
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Hoojs12840

Warranty on Exterior of Unit?

I tend to agree these companies are not "value added". I'm sure some are legit.
It's better and more bang for your buck to pay someone to do it once a year. My dealer charges $340.00 to do a detail, that includes a spray wax, tires, awning, roof slide outs. For $470.00 they will do all that and paste wax it instead of spray wax.

I'm 37 and in decent shape and have ample equipment to handle it, but I've learned what my time is worth, so we decided when we bought our new Cougar that part of the deal was we take it in once a year for a detail with paste wax.

$470.00 divided by 12= $39.00 a month. If we did it twice a year it would be less than $100.00 and have professional record and care and I would recoup that in resale.

Plus the dealer can let me know if they see any areas of concern.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
bsmith0404

Find someone to do a detail twice a year. Make sure they use a sealer not a wax. Wax will only last 2-3 months in the weather before it is gone and you are left without protection. A quality sealer will last about 6 months. The auto detailing industry uses a one step sealer for daily drivers for a nice look and longevity. A high end carnauba wax is used on show type cars, not as much longevity, but gives a much nicer, wet paint appearance. Typically $300-400 is the going rate for a unit the size of yours. Only takes two years to equal your $1500 "never wax" deal, but I would feel much better with a twice a year detail to protect my investment.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chemicals, decals, paint, warranty