Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
McClure

Heater

Keystone Laredo pull behind 2006. My heater is starting to do some funky monkey stuff. It is currently working but soon I think there will be a issue. After the gas heater runs for a while two things happen. One thing is: a loud and fast pace clicking that comes from the Thermostat. The other and more puzzling issue is: After the heater is on for a while it will pull power from the electrical system. The best way that I can describe it is like a flash light that has batteries going bad and it begins to flicker down with its power just before the battery finally dies. The lights in the camper do the same. So just trying to find out some ideas before it actually breaks.
McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
cw3jason

your furnace relies on 12vdc from the battery, sounds like your battery is week or going dead. if you are plugged into shore power your converter is not supplying 12vdc and your heater is relying on the battery alone. also if your plugged into shore power your battery does not appear to be charging or it may be damaged and not taking a charge. How old is your battery? what is the water level of said battery? are you plugged into shore power?
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Post #2 is asking good questions if you want help. I question the loud and fast clicking you here. You say it comes from the wall mounted thermostat?. What you describe is from a propane ingnitor in the furnace when it is not getting properly lit or lack of propane and keeps trying to restart. The furnace pulls power to start and than to run the fan to blow the heat. If it really is a wall mounted thermostat clicking, I have never had any or knew about any ever make noise.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Tbos

My 2810 had a problem with clicking when the thermostat was set to 1 degree difference. It was so touchy it seemed like it couldn't decide what to do. Went back to 2 degree difference and it seems to work fine. Sounds like a professional may need to look at yours.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Tom, are you saying the wall mounted thermostat clicks. Are these digital?. I never have used a digital or owned one in a RV, both homes I have have digital thermostats those do not make any sound. Maybe the clicking is more common with what is in a RV.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Tom, are you saying the wall mounted thermostat clicks. Are these digital?. I never have used a digital or owned one in a RV, both homes I have have digital thermostats those do not make any sound. Maybe the clicking is more common with what is in a RV.

I have OEM (read that as builder grade) digital in my house and a relay in it clicks when the furnace clicks on or off. In the TT it is a Dometic digital that is integrated and controls heat and AC. The clicking when it was set for 1deg diff was actually occurring in the AC on the roof. It sounded like that blower wanted to cycle on at the same time the furnace was. I changed it back and the only clicks are the furnace cycling on and off. Previous TT had old style and it did not click or control the AC.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Ok, thanks good to know. Ken