Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2015, 04:39 AM   #1
kguess

Axle type

I see others talking about a 7000lb axle or 5000lb axle, how do I find out what I have on my Hideout 19FLB?
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Crawl under your trailer and check. There is a "tag" attached to the center of the axle beam (in the middle of the underside of your trailer. On that tag you'll find the weight rating, manufacturer's name and probably address as well as part numbers and build dates for the axle assembly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
kguess

JRT, I got under it but of course there is no tag..... Any other way to tell? Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You can tell the "axle rating" from the decal on the forward driver's side of the trailer. It will list the axle rating (not the model or capacity). Most axles are "de-rated" from their maximum. In other words, the decal may indicate the axles have 205/75R-14 LRC tires and are rated at 3300 pounds each. You might find, if the decal were on the axle beam, that the axle is an ALCO axle part number 3500-10.5-14/4 (I made up this part number, it's not valid for any specific axle) indicating that it is a 3500 pound capacity axle with 10.5" brake/hub diameter and fitted for 14" four lug wheels.

The axle rating on the decal likely will not be the maximum capacity of the axle. Many times Keystone will "de-rate" the axle and install tires that don't "add up" to the carrying capacity of the axle. This information is then listed on the GVWR sticker on the side of the trailer.

Most times, even without the decal, any trailer maintenance company or your dealer would be able to identify the capacity of the axles under your trailer.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect that your axles are probably Dexter 3500 pound axles that have been "de-rated" to 2200 pounds with 14" load range C tires. But that's a guess, not anything that I can confirm.

Have you contacted your dealership or Keystone Customer Service for information? I'd start with your dealership, then Keystone if the dealer's answers don't sound "believable"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
kguess

Ok, you are correct, the sticker on the side is 3500 axle. Thanks again, you are very helpful , I appreciate you info and time , Kenny
PS Learning so much on this site!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

If they are dexter axles, they have a dot stamped number on them. (meaning each number is stamped with a series of dots to make a number). These are hard to find and read but, will be there. About the center of the axle tube and should be facing the rear. I phoned them with this trailer's dot stamped number and they emailed me everything about the axles, brakes, bearings etc. so when and if I need parts , I know which part is needed to fix them. Helpful tip, if looking for the numbers, clean the axle tube with a wet rag, hold a flash light at a angle not 90 degrees but, off that,say 45, so the light shows along the tube, not directly at it. Much easier to find and read that way.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote