Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
dozer1964

Fresh water tank vent

On our 2015 313RLI the fresh water overflow/vent drains onto the underbody cover then to the ground. All of the other campers we have had, it would flow back up to a vent by the fill tube when full. With water coming from underneath the camper I thought something was broken or loose. My dealers service manager told me that that is the way the overflow is now manufactured. It seems to be a odd that it should dump onto the under body cover. Is the information that I received correct?
dozer1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
jsmith948

Doesn't sound right to me. There should be a little (about 3/8" dia.?) vent hole with a mesh screen next to your FW gravity fill. Sounds to me like your vent hose from the tank to the vent opening is disconnected/broken/missing.
I refuse to believe that the tank 'overflows' into the underbelly. You either have a vent hose that is disconnected or you have a FW tank that is cracked.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
dcg9381

Ours flows from the belly to the cover, which I think is bad too. I've seen it both ways with an overflow vent and with an overflow under the unit.

Not unique to Keystone.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
billstuart

Ours has a screened air vent at the tank fill and the overflow dumps out under the trailer through a 3/8" or 1/2" pipe that hangs about and inch below the coroplast.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
gary31

we had a over flow tube from the fresh water tank that hung down from the tank. Problem was that when we traveled the water would slosh and drain out. I was loosing 20% of the water by the time I got to my destination. Solved the problem with a shut off valve, just opened when filling and then closed it off for travel, no more wasted water.
gary31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Irving Ray

Fresh water drain , won't unless I turn on the pump, I did open the valves inside and even the cap off the filler nothing drains until the pump vents it, doesn,t seem right , could probably loosen the hoses on the pump , any ideas what I'm missing, maybe a vent I don't know about ? Thanks for any thoughts. Bart
2013 Cougar 28SGS
Old 09-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Ray View Post
Fresh water drain , won't unless I turn on the pump, I did open the valves inside and even the cap off the filler nothing drains until the pump vents it, doesn,t seem right , could probably loosen the hoses on the pump , any ideas what I'm missing, maybe a vent I don't know about ? Thanks for any thoughts. Bart
2013 Cougar 28SGS
Are you sure you're removing the cap on the fresh water tank drain and not from one of the low point drains? The fresh water tank drain on the Cougar XLite series is a direct connection to the bottom of the tank with a half inch PVC fitting and a PVC cap. You can literally remove the cap and insert a small diameter rod into the inner space of the tank. In fact, you can peel away the foam seal around the fitting and visualize the lower portion of the FW tank.

There is no vent capability through the water pump (one way valves), but there is a vent at the top of the fresh water fill port and, of course, removing the fill port cap will vent through the large corrugated hose. Removing the cap from the bottom of the trailer should cause water to flow from the tank. If not, I'd suspect you haven't removed the correct drain cap.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
Irving Ray

Thanks

Somehow I thought the low point was it, on the third look and your direction , I see the right place, daa ! Thanks , Bart