Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
tree1668

Road stress

what kind of damage can I expect from simply pulling my fifth wheel down the road? Are there things I can do to minimize any potential problems? Are aluminum framed campers really stronger then wood framed?
"The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
tree1668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree1668 View Post
what kind of damage can I expect from simply pulling my fifth wheel down the road? Are there things I can do to minimize any potential problems? Are aluminum framed campers really stronger then wood framed?
Are you talking about structural damage to your 5th wheel? What kind of damage you are concerned about?
Old 03-11-2015, 03:16 AM   #3
EricLynnAllison

Get a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). Most damage on the rode is from blown tires. Always allow extra space in front to stop.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
bsmith0404

I have never experienced any structural damage from towing. Damage you get will be from road debris, or from shifting contents that were not properly stored. Mainly from items such as chairs rubbing on trim, or things falling off of the counter. Although most items ride very well on the counter and you get very little movement, I have had the coffee pot come off during an emergency braking event. Which reminds me, other drivers are your biggest concern for damage. I once had to brake so hard it relocated the couch and pretty much everything else in the RV.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 AM   #5
GaryWT

As said, if everything is put away and everyone stays out of your way, all should be fine. Sometimes weird things happen, I moved the trailer once, just in the yard maybe 40 feet and we had something fall off the table and smash. Another time we left something like the salt and pepper on the counter and drove for 2 hours, they did not move an inch, go figure. From time to time something might fall off the wall but it usually takes a realy bumpy road or something to make thing happen.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Desert185

I'm thinking what is in contact with the ground suffers the most. Roads aren't always in the best condition, so have good, balanced tires and upgrade the suspension with a wet bolt kit and heavier shackles.

Aluminum construction is a good thing in my opinion.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If I read the original question right, your asking about structural damage. Been through 4 fifth wheels in a variety of construction type and many miles over lots of different conditions.

As stated above, the only damage I have had is stuff inside.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
tree1668

Yes I was mainly talking about structural damage caused from simply towing the unit. I have read a few posts here recently that people complain that the newer rvs aren't built very well and so on an so forth. My personal belief is that Keystone is an excellent product but just like anything else if you don't take care of it, it will go down hill quickly.
Is there an emergency check list that everyone keeps with them? Such as this Dicor I keep hearing about? I always have a set of tools with me, and I have been considering a 12 volt air compressor.
As for tires I am checking with my dealer now to see what kind are on there as the unit is there at the moment.
The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."
Old 03-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Lci (Lippert component) makes the majority of frames for the RV industry. Not just fifth wheel but also bumper pull, and not just for Keystone.

With that in mind, I wouldn't worry about the "structure" of your fifth wheel as far as the chassis goes. Seems like most complaints are with the interior fit and finish. As I stated before, I have towed a total of four different trailers since 1989, over too many miles to count on too many different types and quality of roads, without any structural damage.

As far as an emergency checklist. I am not aware of any, but over the years I have learned to carry enough tools to change a tire, change a fuse, and in my case being an RV tech, enough tools and supplies to fix plumbing, wiring, and HVAC issues. IMO a person can "what if" themselves into not carrying any food and toys for fear of not having the right tool or replacement part.

My thinking: as long as there is a Wal mart or Lowes or Home depot near by, anything can be fixed with a quick trip. A wise man on another forum once summed it up. Carry a credit card with a high limit and low balance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
tree1668

Ha! Thanks Chuckster! I will plan for the basics and worry about the rest when it happens. Love the quote by the way truer words were never spoken...
Old 03-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Wood will rot when leaks happen and do not get fixed. Aluminum will not although there is still much to rot besides the framing. I was at Arctic Fox factory around 3 years after they switched to aluminum frames. This is what the plant manager said. Aluminum is easier (faster) to build with and little waste compared to wood. I understood the waste met buying bad wood. The 990 camper build with aluminum frame was 75 lbs more heavy than when build with wood frame and nothing else was changed. Would you not think it would be lighter with aluminum? but, apparently not.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote