Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
SLCRVING

Norcold Fridge Problems on Propane

Hello...we just took delivery of a 2015 Carbon 357 last week. I decided to test the appliances in the yard since we will not be go camping anytime too soon. Everything works great with the exception of the Fridge when on propane. Trailer is level, both LP tanks are full and on, stove and range work awesome as well as the furnace. The fridge works great on AC power but on gas mode it will error out after about 4 hours. I can hear it light, and I can hear the flame when I stand by the outside vent. It appears to be working fine, but after about 4-5 hours the lights begin to flash and it never gets cold. The flash is regular about once every second and according to the manual "it could not light" or something like that. Hoping that it is something simple but I may need to take it in for service. Curious, if anyone else has experienced anything like this?
2006 Honda Rancher 400
SLCRVING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It needs to go back for service IMO. There are a couple of things that come to mind, could be the control board, high limit switch, a kinked propane line. A few tests the the dealer can perform should take care of it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
SLCRVING

Well...good news is I may have found the problem. I removed the back panel and had DW flip the switch so I could hear what was going on...not much to see with all the metal housings. It was lighting and going and then after awhile it would just stop getting gas, flame went out, and igniter would spark until it errored out. I removed some of the housings and cleaned the ignitor and flame area, still did it. I then removed the gas line from where it transitions from the trailer to the fridge. Surprised, I found debris in the line, big enough to move around but not small enough to exit through the openings. I cleaned it out, reconnected everything, and so far it has been running without a problem. I'll keep watch on it...but may have saved me a service trip over something really easy. So far 10 hours and its still going strong!
2006 Honda Rancher 400
Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It's good that you found the problem. Seems that says a lot about the dealer's PDI, eh? I'd keep a close watch on the "other stuff he probably skipped" <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #5
Rick

If that was truly the problem, keep an eye on your furnace, stove and oven. They may display the same problems at some point. If they do, and I don't know how hard it would be to do, you might disconnect propane items one at a time and blow compressed air through the lines (after the propane regulator) to clear them. Hook the item back up and move to the next.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
SLCRVING

Good points...I'll keep a close watch on those appliances for sure. So far...still working and its nice and cold inside. Keeping my fingers crossed it keeps working and it was in fact the problem. Could have just been me inside messing around with stuff too I guess and that worries me because who knows when it may pop up again. At this point I have no reason to make a 200Mile round trip to the dealer...but if that changes (hoping it doesn't), I'll be sure to insist they check everything out just to be sure. Although, I can hear them now..."if its working then everything is fine". Im not sure how long they would test the fridge on gas during the PDI, like I mentioned the fridge would look like and appear to be working fine for as long 5 hours before it faulted. As of yesterday though it wouldn't even stay lit for more than 5 minutes prior to the clean job I performed. Thanks everyone for the input!
2006 Honda Rancher 400