Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
bsmith0404

Hydraulic Issue

Couldn't find anything about this with a search and haven't dug into it yet, thought I'd look for some advice from someone with expertise/experience on the hydraulic system to save me some time.

Recently my slide outs started coming out when I operate 6 point level system. The problem seems to be worse or really only happen when it's cold outside. I can't tell you what the temp needs to be for it to happen. I'm assuming there is a check valve somewhere that is freezing up/sticking that is allowing fluid to flow to the slide rams while the pump is operating for the jacks. Also, is it possible there is moisture in the system that is causing cold weather problems and should I do a fluid flush?

At least the slides are moving when I operate the jacks instead of the other way around. At least with the slides I can shut the valves off to each slide. Would really suck if the jacks retracted when I opened the slides

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Looks like I may have stumped everyone with this one. I sent a message to Lippert as well, haven't heard back from them yet either. There has to be a valve somewhere in the system to prevent the fluid from flowing to the slides when the pump is operating the jacks. I'm just hoping there is some way I can get it working properly without having to completely open up the system and deal with a big hydraulic mess. I guess this would be a good time to use the warranty.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
bsmith0404

I spoke to a Lippert service tech today, he said it is most likely a blocking valve. Apparently the blocking are operated by 12 volts to snap the valve shut when other items are operated. They said they can sometime get debris stuck in them and working it a few times may clear it up. I ran the jacks up and down and the slides in and out several times and no luck. I did notice that when I select to retract the jacks, every now and then the back jacks were left down about 4" as well. Since I'm still under warranty they recommend I take it to the dealership for repairs. I'm taking it in on Friday.

I know, if it's under warranty, why am I messing with it. Just don't like taking it in if it's something simple I can fix fairly quickly myself.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Off topic I suppose, but what are you doing with the landing gear once the slides are out? Just making some adjustments? Or do you put the slides out and then level the rig?
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
Off topic I suppose, but what are you doing with the landing gear once the slides are out? Just making some adjustments? Or do you put the slides out and then level the rig?
I actually noticed it the first time when I was getting ready to leave. Put everything away, put the slides in, hooked up t the truck and raised the jacks. Next thing I knew, the bedroom slide was coming out. My control box is right under the slide so I was a little surprised when I almost nocked my head on a slide I thought was in. Didn't connect the dots at that point. That evening when I got home and went to disconnect, I started dropping the jacks and sure enough, out comes the slide again.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 01-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
tdawg

I have a 2013 Alpine on it when i lowered the front landing the slides would start to come in. on my right front landing gear cylinder there is a solenoid valve i removed it and took apart and cleaned out a piece of metal slag that would not let the valve seat and allowed the fluid to bypass.
tdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I actually noticed it the first time when I was getting ready to leave. Put everything away, put the slides in, hooked up t the truck and raised the jacks. Next thing I knew, the bedroom slide was coming out. My control box is right under the slide so I was a little surprised when I almost nocked my head on a slide I thought was in. Didn't connect the dots at that point. That evening when I got home and went to disconnect, I started dropping the jacks and sure enough, out comes the slide again.
Oh I see. I was thinking the other way around.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Update...since the camper is still under warranty I went ahead and took it to the local Camping World for repairs. Here is what they found, NOTHING! The darn thing started working fine. Apparently the fix to this problem is to make a service appointment and drag the RV 30 miles down the road.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 02-07-2015, 06:12 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Sometimes, especially with hydraulics, letting the system "sit idle" will create problems with sticky valves, leaks, actuators that malfunction, etc.

Using the system on a regular basis is the best "maintenance preventer" in most situations. I well remember airplanes that would "reliably" break on the 5th "nonpowered day" and others that could sit for 2 weeks without developing hydraulic leaks/malfunctions. Yes, they each have their own unique "personality"......

It may simply be that you "exercised the system" several times before taking it in for repair and when they "exercised" the system to check for problems, that cycle was the one that "fixed the sticky valve" ???? Who knows, but the best thing you can do is keep using it

Good Luck and hope for no "repeat malfunctions"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote