Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Richard6959

Hot water heater DSI FLT lights ??

I read on another forum that the DSI light means the hot water heater is trying to lite when its in LP mode. Is this true? Then shouldn't I see the light each time I turn on the LP switch? I remember seeing it once about a week ago and it went out after a short time.

Also, prior to this, we were able to take a hot shower without running out, but this past week we have been running out of hot water quickly.

I usually run both the electric and LP while we are taking showers, then switch the LP off.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The DSI fault light will turn on when you activate the LP side of the water heater. It will GO OUT as soon as the flame has lit, so yeah each time you turn on the LP side, the light will come on and then go off when the flame lights.

Taking a hot shower without running out depends on how you do it. Without knowing your model, I am betting that your H/W tank is 6 gallons. If you leave the shower running, it doesn't take long to use it up. Using electric and LP at the same time helps with recovery, but I find the best way is to get wet, shut the flow off at the shower head, soap and shampoo, then rinse. I have yet to run out of hot water using this method. And FWIW, I leave both electric and LP heaters on all the time if I have hook-UPS. Doesn't seem to me to use a significant amount of extra propane.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

On our wall-mounted HW switch, there is a small red light which will come on for a short period of time when you press the switch to ON. (Operating on propane). After the HW tank goes through a short ignition cycle, the red light will go out indicating that the furnace is now lit and is being heated with gas.

If the HW firing cycle is functioning properly, the red light should eventually go out after a very short period - a few seconds.

If the switch is left ON - in the propane mode - the red light will remain off. If the switch is pressed to the OFF position, the next time you want to use propane to heat the HW tank, press it to the ON position and the red light will again come on for a short time.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Richard6959

We turn on the LP switch every afternoon because we take showers in the early evening. For the last 4 weeks we have been in the TT, I only saw the DSI light come on once, and was puzzled by it. What your saying is that I should see the DSI light for a few seconds each time I flip the switch, but I don't.

Tomorrow, I will turn it on, then check the water heater to see if its burning LP. Is it possible the igniter is so fast that the light just doesn't come on?
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6959 View Post
Is it possible the igniter is so fast that the light just doesn't come on?
If you have the electric side on, then the water is hot already and turning on the LP side will not start the igniter until the water temp falls low enough to start the heating cycle, and you wont see the fault light until the igniter starts, then it will go out as soon as the flame starts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #6
Stuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
On our wall-mounted HW switch, there is a small red light which will come on for a short period of time when you press the switch to ON. (Operating on propane). After the HW tank goes through a short ignition cycle, the red light will go out indicating that the furnace is now lit and is being heated with gas.

If the HW firing cycle is functioning properly, the red light should eventually go out after a very short period - a few seconds.

If the switch is left ON - in the propane mode - the red light will remain off. If the switch is pressed to the OFF position, the next time you want to use propane to heat the HW tank, press it to the ON position and the red light will again come on for a short time.
Two questions: what would cause the red RESET light to come on and stay on? I've had hot water without issue for a week, and today the red reset light came on.

Also, where do you switch it from propane and electric?

thanks
Stuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #7
Lee

Hi,

If your HW heater is like mine, open the cover to the HW heater and you will find a small rocker switch. This turns the electric side of the HW heater on/off.

Take care,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:36 AM   #8
Stuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

If your HW heater is like mine, open the cover to the HW heater and you will find a small rocker switch. This turns the electric side of the HW heater on/off.

Take care,

Ok, thanks! I will check the propane supply too. The range burners are still lighting, but maybe I am low on propane and that is causing the HW heater reset to come on...

Update: upon opening the WH cover, there was a small flame in the initial burner orifice, I guess that was keeping the burner from lighting. It soon went out and the burner came on, and the red Reset light went out. So I guess that's what the reset light does, indicates there is something wrong that means the HW burner is not lit.

Do these campers burn propane or butane? When I refill the bottle, I assume propane?

And I did see the small black rocker switch you mentioned, it had a small metal pin in it keeping it in the OFF position. Wonder why it needs a pin...?

Man, there's so much to learn about how these thngs are designed and how they operate!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
Ok, thanks! I will check the propane supply too. The range burners are still lighting, but maybe I am low on propane and that is causing the HW heater reset to come on...

Update: upon opening the WH cover, there was a small flame in the initial burner orifice, I guess that was keeping the burner from lighting. It soon went out and the burner came on, and the red Reset light went out. So I guess that's what the reset light does, indicates there is something wrong that means the HW burner is not lit.

Do these campers burn propane or butanePROPANE? When I refill the bottle, I assume propane?CORRECT

And I did see the small black rocker switch you mentioned, it had a small metal pin in it keeping it in the OFF position. Wonder why it needs a pin...?Some rigs have two switches for the electric side: one outside on the actual tank and another switch inside. On my Raptor only have the one on the tank and I use the breaker inside to turn it on and off. NOTE that pin is used to ensure nobody accidently turns on that switch when there is no water in the tank. Before I drain that HWT I shut off the switch on the tank and pin it

Man, there's so much to learn about how these thngs are designed and how they operate!
My comments are included above in red
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
Stuka

Roger that. thanks for the lesson.