Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Loom24

No power in camper

I've searched around but haven't found anyone with this same problem. I have a 2014 hideout and I'm not getting power when plugged in at my house. I have power to the camper for sure but no lights, ac, or fridge. When I connect to my house, the microwave display does illuminate and this is the only indication of power. Could the inverter be bad already?
Thanks.
Loom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

By connected to house do you mean to a 30amp or greater outlet??? If you are plugged into a 15amp outlet using an adapter you may have blown some circuit breakers in the trailer. Do you have a battery disconnect switch. Your lights are 12v dc and supplied by the CONverter and battery. Check your trailers circuit breakers.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Loom24

I have power just to the trailer lights when plugged into the truck. None of the inside 12v lights come on when plugged in to truck.

I do have it plugged to a 20amp outlet with a 30amp adapter. I only have it plugged in to run ac at 87 degrees and a light or two.

Thanks for the reply
Old 07-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
robo

Check breakers and fuses. 12 volt lights have blades also breaker/fuse near battery. Is battery hooked up correctly one last thing is there a switch on or near info panel or near main entrance
robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Loom24

I don't have a disconnect switch by the entry door. I checked the 2 40amp fuses and they are good. The breakers never tripped and I reset them anyway. I'm puzzled. This is my first camper so my experience is limited but I do know a little about electrical circuits. Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
GaryWT

First off, where are the 2 40 amp breakers you are checking. What is the household outlet you are plugged into usually used for? Have you unplugged the trailer and plugged in a light to be sure it is good. With the trailer unplugged, do the lights work off the battery. Does the adaptor show any signs of burning or melting. Plug back in, if the microwave is on, does it work or just the panels? So no disconnect at the battery but any inline fuses up there. Then I guess I would double check all the breakers and fuses again. Good luck. One other thing, have you tried the fan without the AC.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Loom24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
First off, where are the 2 40 amp breakers you are checking.
On the circuit panel next to the breakers

What is the household outlet you are plugged into usually used for?
Just an outdoor receptacle on garage

Have you unplugged the trailer and plugged in a light to be sure it is good.
Yes

With the trailer unplugged, do the lights work off the battery.
Nope

Does the adaptor show any signs of burning or melting.
Nope

Plug back in, if the microwave is on, does it work or just the panels?
The microwave works. This is the most puzzling thing.

So no disconnect at the battery but any inline fuses up there.
I need to check. Didn't know they have in line fuses there

Then I guess I would double check all the breakers and fuses again. Good luck. One other thing, have you tried the fan without the AC.
Yes. The fan won't run solo either

Thanks for the replies. If I'm getting power to run the microwave but no lights or ac could it be a bad circuit panel by the breakers??
Old 07-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #8
GaryWT

Are the breakers in one line or two. Do the outlets work, are the ground faults ok?
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Loom24

There are 5 or 6 breakers in a single line and all the gfci aren't tripped. Does anyone know how to test the converter to tell if that's going out?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

There is an almost identical thread (OP Peter- "Real Odd electrical issue") running at the same time as this in the same forum......two members who seem to be having the same electrical problem.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
Loom24

I noticed that. Hopefully one of us can figure this out. I'm bringing mine in this week. I will keep y'all posted.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

In the 9? Rvs I have owned, I have had all kinds of problems with electrial. First off the trailer plugged into the TV will not supply power to the inside lights only tailights, clearence lights, brakes and maybe a charge to the rv battery.
I would unplug the trailer from shore power, as others said made sure that outlet has power. Turn off every breaker, every GFI and look for ALL the GFIs, look everywhere for them, you may have missed one. Make sure the battery is charged by testing it. Make sure the wires are tight. Then see if you have 12v power, if so plug in to shore and test again. ALL my problems have been with tripped GFIs, fuses, tripped breaker, bad battery and ground problems. Checking and double checking will not cost any thing. But, I would not purchase a thing until all things mentioned have been checked. It may take you awhile, I once missed a tripped GFI and when from one end of the trailer to the other 2 times, about 4 hours before finding it. I have had nothing but problems when hooked up to 15a or 20a. At home and vacation home I had 30a outlets added just for the rvs. Each was about 200 to have a contractor install them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 AM   #13
Loom24

Just spoke to dealer. Sounds like its the converter. Just as y'all mentioned the microwave is the only thing power directly from the power chord everything else passes through converter. I put my hand on it earlier and like to burn my finger off It was so hot. I'm bringing it in this week and will advise. Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 AM   #14
Loom24

Yep. The converter is bad. Dealer will replace under warrenty. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
Rusty

We had a similar issue with our Cougar, replaced the batteries as they were not holding a charge.

This past weekend we had the brand new batteries go dead on us and mostly everything in the camper had issues. We were hooked up to 30 amp and we lost our lights, fridge, water heater, and the entertainment system. I had wired in a switch to shut off the radio as I found it was a huge power drain.

However we had a full RV with 4 adults and 3 dogs. We did play CD's in the player for quite a while, however I figured that if it were hooked up to 30 amp shore power it would not drain the batteries!

This year we have camped only in mostly power sites, we have gone dry camping on quite a few occasions without issues.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post

This past weekend we had the brand new batteries go dead on us and mostly everything in the camper had issues. We were hooked up to 30 amp and we lost our lights, fridge, water heater, and the entertainment system. I had wired in a switch to shut off the radio as I found it was a huge power drain.

However we had a full RV with 4 adults and 3 dogs. We did play CD's in the player for quite a while, however I figured that if it were hooked up to 30 amp shore power it would not drain the batteries!

Playing CD's "for quite a while" when plugged in should not contribute to your batteries being drained. The lights, fridge, furnace, water pump, etc., do require a fully charged battery to function.

There must be some reason why the converter is not charging your batteries while you are connected to 30A shore power.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #17
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Playing CD's "for quite a while" when plugged in should not contribute to your batteries being drained. The lights, fridge, furnace, water pump, etc., do require a fully charged battery to function.

There must be some reason why the converter is not charging your batteries while you are connected to 30A shore power.
That was my thoughts as well Festus. Phoned the Stealer and they told me to check......

1) Inline Fuse between Batteries and Coach, and....

2) Fuse on back of Converter, however we do not know where the heck the converter is.....

3) I made an appointment for the mid of Sept in case I cannot find the problem, that is the earliest I can get in for them to have a look if I can't figure out the problem.

Electrical is my nemesis, I can rewire a house, but when it comes to chasing sparks I am stupid, tried to figure out things on Hornet fighter jets, but I left that crap to the experts.......LOL

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
kellydog98

I just had this same problem and I hope this helps. It seems that my 5er has one- (thats 1) reset button for the GFI outlet. Mine is in the kitchen. I did everything else until I found the GFI reset button and....Power restored. Good Luck and let me know!

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #19
kellydog98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loom24 View Post
I've searched around but haven't found anyone with this same problem. I have a 2014 hideout and I'm not getting power when plugged in at my house. I have power to the camper for sure but no lights, ac, or fridge. When I connect to my house, the microwave display does illuminate and this is the only indication of power. Could the inverter be bad already?
Thanks.
Find the GFI reset Button and push. This just happened to me also. Good Luck and Let me know.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #20
Yosemitebob

You should be getting 110 power regardless rather the converter is working or not. The converter has it's own breaker switch, it only runs the 12v items. Are you sure you turned on the shutoff that in my trailer is in the driver side basement. Are you comfortable enough with electric power to take the panel off and use a test meter to see if you are getting power to the panel? If you are not DON'T DO IT.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote