Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
Edlees

License Plate Holder

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. We bought a new Cougar 277RLSWE 5th wheel in Decemeber. I just got my plate to mount and found that the mount tabs on the drivers side tail light is obstructed by the ladder. See attached pictures.

Seems to me that the only option to correct this is to either swap the tail lights so that I can get the plate mounted with no obstruction. This really ticks me off that I would have to do this, due to an total blunder by Keystone.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ed
Attached Images

Edlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Is it possible for you to bend or cut the corners at the bottom of the license plate so that it will drop down between the ladder posts? If you do this, it doesn't appear as though any essential part of the plate would be affected - although you may be close to the number "1" at each end of the plate.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
f6bits

A Google search brings up several results saying it's technically illegal to modify a plate, including California Vehicle Code 4463.

As with tinted windows, it depends on the mood of the officer who's got their eyes on you.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Javi

Baling wire it to the bumper
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
f6bits

I don't see anything in the vehicle code that says it can't be on the right. I'm trying to remember what the internals of the tail light is like. Maybe swap the lenses left with right, then double-sticky tape (or 3M removable tape) the plate on the right.

If it were me, I'd bend the corners. The spirit of the vehicle code looks to prohibit malicious tampering. If ticketed, I'd fight it. I'd be sorely disappointed if a judge found it to be a crime.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Another "fix"
Attach it to the bottom round posts of the ladder. If you can use plastic zip ties, that would eliminate having to drill holes in the ladder posts. Drill small holes in the plate so the zip ties can pass through and fasten it to the two posts - at the very bottom. ???
Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
concours

The person who installed the light was not thinking i.e. stupid the simple fix is to swap the lamps from left to right there is DOT rule on this, often the lens that illuminates the plate is also on the wrong side. The reason that I say this is that when I did vehicle inspection it was often the case
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Trent McCain

The light housings interchange. I don't know if its law to have the plate on the drivers side or not. If not, I'd switch the assemblies or take a dremel and carefully notch the plate to fit around the ladder and go on. Better yet, if your dealer is close by, take it up with them, might not be the first time they've seen this. Our Copper Canyon has the plate on the drivers side, with the ladder on passenger side. Trent

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

The one option that hasn't yet been discussed is to simply take it back to the dealer and have him take care of it when you haul it back for any other problems. In the mean time, just leave it alone and use it like it is. That way, you're not "modifying" something that has "already ticked you off" and you're also not buying extra lights, spending time on something that Keystone and the dealer ought to be spending time on. So, start your list of "adjustments and repairs" and make sure this is on the top of the list.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
ctpd814

I agree with JRTJH. I would return it to the dealer and have the mount switched from left to right. Most state laws require the plate to be securely fastened to the rear and be illuminated. It must also have no obstructions that block the view of any of the pertinent information which include the plate number, the state, or the expiration month or year. If left behind the ladder, some of the information may be blocked. If hung with zip ties, it may be too far from the light to be illuminated and may not be considered securely fastened.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

Oregon does not care where it is on the rear as long as it is not covered, blocked, and lit at night. Take it back to the dealer and have them move it to the right rear light or do it yourself.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
byrdr1

Mine came ready to mount on the right side(curb side).
Tabs were on that side.
I never ever thought about the ladder and that it might be in the way of license plate hanging down?
Randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Dave45039

The plate on our Cougar is factory installed on the right side. No noticeable reason other the light bracket is installed there Plenty of room on either side.

Dave & Janet

2013 Cougar 333MKS
2013 GMC 2500HD 6.0L / 4.10
[/LIST]
Dave45039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edlees View Post
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. We bought a new Cougar 277RLSWE 5th wheel in Decemeber. I just got my plate to mount and found that the mount tabs on the drivers side tail light is obstructed by the ladder. See attached pictures.

Seems to me that the only option to correct this is to either swap the tail lights so that I can get the plate mounted with no obstruction. This really ticks me off that I would have to do this, due to an total blunder by Keystone.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ed
I would just move the light up about 1 inch or so. No one will notice and the plate will hide anything that is left. Make sure you seal the lamp housing and any holes.

I never let the dealer fix anything that I can do myself. They usually screw it up. But only things that are not serious warranty issues.

My 2 cents worth.
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
Edlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Deb View Post
I would just move the light up about 1 inch or so. No one will notice and the plate will hide anything that is left. Make sure you seal the lamp housing and any holes.

I never let the dealer fix anything that I can do myself. They usually screw it up. But only things that are not serious warranty issues.

My 2 cents worth.
thanks for the reply. I am with you about leaving it up to the dealer to fix. besides, they are about a two hour drive away from where I live and that isn't going to happen.

I am going to try to move up the light housing to allow for clearance of the plate. An inch or two might now be that noticeable being off from the right side anyway. I guess I will use clear silicone to seal it when I move it? Not sure what they use at the factory.

I also sent a 'nice' note to the Keystone sales rep who sold to the dealer I bought it from.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Ed
Old 02-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
Edlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
The person who installed the light was not thinking i.e. stupid the simple fix is to swap the lamps from left to right there is DOT rule on this, often the lens that illuminates the plate is also on the wrong side. The reason that I say this is that when I did vehicle inspection it was often the case
good point. In this case the lense cover for the plate illumination is on the correct housing. they just happen to put the ladder over it. Not sure if the ladder can go on either side.

The dealer is too far away to get them to fix it. I will do myself. I am going to try to move up the light housing up so that there is enough clearance for the plate.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
jsmith948

Smile

Your solution should work, but you will end up with one light higher than the other. Our license plate is on the R/H side - why not just switch the tail lights from side to side?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
dandjh1958

I would just use two mending plates(homedepot hardware department) which will drop the license plate down and to the right of the ladder and cost under $5.

I just did the same thing to my popup trailer because I broke the plastic holders that are part of the taillight.
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:23 AM   #19
TomHaycraft

So it isn't just my Springdale, where someone wasn't thinking when locating items near the license plate. For me, the coax connection for cable tv is located behind the plate! For the rare time I want to use it, I have to remove the license plate.

I had considered moving brake light housing / license plate tabs to the curb side ... never enough of a priority. While the license plate doesn't hang flat, it is close enough.
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Before trying to remove and reinstall the light fixture a bit higher, (On my Springdale, the routed out hole behind he light was about 3" in diameter), if I were going to do it myself, I'd buy another tail light assembly with the license plate tag base (about $12) and remove the curbside fixture, install the new one and leave the old one where it is. That way, you move the license plate and don't have extra holes to try to patch and the lights stay level.

Even if the hole behind the light is only 2", you're not going to have a lot of space from the edge of the sealant to the hole. I'd leave the "mislocated one" alone and just replace the opposite side. If you were here, I'd give you one, or two lights. I replaced mine with LED lights on both my recent trailers and have them hanging in the garage on a pegboard hook collecting dust.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license plate holder, license plate mount