Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
captsib

Montana Fifth Wheel 2850RK

How do I find out if my camper is a four season's type, I was told at the time of purchase, which is when it was new that it was a four season type, but was told recently that it should say that on the camper and have not been able to locate it, please help!
captsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

captsib -
There has been much discussion here about the"four season" descriptor that Keystone uses to describe and advertise their RV's. Often, there is a sticker by the entrance door that reads "Polar Package", "Arctic Package" , or some other similar label.

Keystone likes to tout the "heated underbelly and tanks" as two of the features that makes it 4 season or able to survive sub freezing temperatures for prolonged periods. On its own, I do not believe for one second that any of their RV's are capable of doing this without some kind of skirting or additional heat source. The heated underbelly for example, will only receive "heat" when the furnace is running. And any heat that it does receive is quickly lost in the underbelly and all its openings and poor insulation.

It also depends upon where you live if you think of it being "4 season". If you do not see many days of cold weather or rarely have freezing temperatures, then this description might hold up. Otherwise, I would not make a claim that it is 4 season. Ask anyone who spends their winters in the NE, or north central states of the US or the Canadian Prairie provinces. I doubt if you would find any folks out camping in December in those places!

Three Season -- sure. Four Season - Maybe .....depends where you live.

Welcome to the forum BTW
Old 07-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
captsib

Montana Fifth Wheel 2850RK

Thank's for the response on the camper, and I do remember the part about the heated underbelly, so I guess that answer's that about the four season's part, but I do say that the salesman should not have told me about the four season,s if it is not true!
captsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Outbackmel

Four Seasons

That's a great HOTEL 2.6 rv season north of Mason-Dixon line. 3 seasons south to 150 miles of Georgia-Florida line. 4 seasons south of that. Anything other is a lot of work for little pleasure and lots of sleeping (or trying to) in the coooollllldd!!

Tons will dispute this, BUT, we know it's true.

As far as RV Sales: liar, liar; pants on fire
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
mikell

I have the Artic pakage and haven't had any issues in 4 years fulltiming in Michigan. Get the heat pump it will keep the place warm to below 32 but you'll need the furnace to heat the underbelly
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
pressure_welder

it would be funny to see how long my new laredo with "polar package" would last in some of our -50 days here in canada. We of course never use it in the winter, but i do agree with everyone here that theirs quite a bit of "false" hope as it were in regards to the keystone polar package. It is in my opinion one of the worst sealed underbelly's i have ever encountered, but again not like i care because we only use it in the summer
pressure_welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
I have the Artic pakage and haven't had any issues in 4 years fulltiming in Michigan. Get the heat pump it will keep the place warm to below 32 but you'll need the furnace to heat the underbelly
mikell -
I realize that many people do live full time and spend all 4 seasons in their RV's. However, without adding supplementary heat to the underbelly and carrying out other modifications and upgrades to the RV, I suspect you would not be able to live full time in it in Michigan's winters. (And by what JRTJH, another Michigan resident, had to say about Spring in Michigan this year, you might add that as well....LOL)
Not sure about what other steps you have taken to "upgrade" the underbelly, but I assume the skirting the whole unit would be necessary.

What I am saying is that on its own and depending upon where you live, Keystone RV's cannot be labeled as being "Four Season".
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
mikell

Nothing in the underbelly other than taking a wall section out between it and the basement and putting a radiator type heater in. No skirting nothing but a solid sewer line with the tanks always open. Water line is wraped and heat taped

Issue now is it's 95 out and the single heat pump is only keeping it to 75
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote