Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
canesfan

LED Awning Lights Dim

I noticed the other night my awning lights are only about 1/3 as bright as they were/should be. Two of the LEDs on one strip are very bright, all the others are dim. Everything else 12V works fine, LEDs inside are bright, slides went in with no problem. What might cause this? I have two awnings and both strips are dim.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There has been a significant history of water damage with LED awning lights. On this forum there are a number of reports of failure during the first year, some even during the first month of ownership. I installed an "after market" LED strip on my awning roller which failed the first week it was installed. Currently I have a different type which is encased in a silicone sheath. The "jury is out" on whether or not it will last any longer.

One point I've noticed recently is that manufacturers are moving away from installing awnings with LED lighting. More and more, I see the LED strip being mounted under the awning, on the trailer sidewall where it's better protected from water intrusion.

If you unroll your awning after a rainstorm, you'll see that the entire awning fabric is wet, dripping during deployment. That water is "death" on sensitive electronics, often even on "waterproof" components.

If you're still in warranty, talk to your dealer. If your Keystone warranty has expired, you may still be covered by the awning manufacturer's warranty which may be as long as 3 years. Read your owner's manual for exactly what's covered.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #3
canesfan

Thanks. I don't know if mine are part of the awning or not. They are not on the sidewall, they are up under the gutter pointing down. Can't tell if they are part of the awning or added by Keystone. It's 2-1/2 years old now so out of warranty. I'll look at the awning manual and see if I can determine anything. Was hoping for an easier fix than replacing the strips already.

ETA: I've seen others who used the ones in a sheath, I have several styles bookmarked on Amazon but I can't find that type, not sure what I should be searching for. Do you have a link?
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

This is the one I'm going to buy next: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UK55QA4...I3PC0YNU6XKOU7

I have absolutely no experience with the above "next one" LOL

This is the one I currently have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The current one is encased in a silicone sheath. I had to cut it to fit, so I filled the cut end with clear silicone after the cut. So far (about 2 months) it has been "waterproof" and is still working. It's been exposed to a significant amount of rainwater both with the awning rolled up and extended. So far, so good, but as I said, it's only been a couple of months. Who knows if it will still be working after next winter's storage ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
canesfan

Thanks for the info and links. At least it stopped raining so I can look everything over and plan how to proceed. Hoping my LEDs magically fix themselves before I start buying more stuff.

ETA: I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the channel on the one you intend to buy next. You mount the channel and then you mount the lights to the channel. Not sure what that is accomplishing. If the channel was enclosed I could understand. Maybe I'm overlooking something?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Thanks for the info and links. At least it stopped raining so I can look everything over and plan how to proceed. Hoping my LEDs magically fix themselves before I start buying more stuff.

ETA: I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the channel on the one you intend to buy next. You mount the channel and then you mount the lights to the channel. Not sure what that is accomplishing. If the channel was enclosed I could understand. Maybe I'm overlooking something?
I have the ones he was going to buy. The main point of the channel I believe is it actually utilizes real 3M tape, instead of the Chinese imitation stuff that is installed on most led strips that often doesn't stick. The other nice thing is if the strip fails it should just be a quick pull her out slap a new one in badabing badaboom. I have had the strip on for a year now and no failures, but the 5th has been inside storage the last 5 months other than while in use. The LED's are bright i bought a cheap dimmer and stuck it in the porch light as that's where I tapped the power from. I know some of the cheap dimmers are not good for the LED's, but they've stood up so far to the abuse.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
I have the ones he was going to buy. The main point of the channel I believe is it actually utilizes real 3M tape, instead of the Chinese imitation stuff that is installed on most led strips that often doesn't stick. The other nice thing is if the strip fails it should just be a quick pull her out slap a new one in badabing badaboom. I have had the strip on for a year now and no failures, but the 5th has been inside storage the last 5 months other than while in use. The LED's are bright i bought a cheap dimmer and stuck it in the porch light as that's where I tapped the power from. I know some of the cheap dimmers are not good for the LED's, but they've stood up so far to the abuse.
Ok, that's what I was thinking after reading some reviews. Several reviews said the tape on the lights wasn't holding and they were having to super glue them onto the channel. If that's the case it sounds like they don't slide into the channel or don't fit well? I read the installation directions they have posted but I have to do some more reading I guess. They don't say anything about "sliding" the strip into the channel from what I saw. They talk about sticking it on.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
kfxgreenie

You stick the channel with the real 3M tape to the side of the RV after cleaning with rubbing alcohol, and then the LED strip just gets pushed in and "compression" holds the strip in the channel, its a fairly "tight" fit. I did not tape my lights into the channel and they have not moved one bit.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #9
canesfan

Ok thanks. Makes sense now. That's not what their instructions say but I also know a lot gets lost in the Chinese translations. Now I need to borrow a step ladder tall enough to reach and see everything to figure out if this is going to be plug and play or if I have to do some more wiring. Hoping they left a plug up there and it isn't hard wired but I doubt that's going to be the case.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
canesfan

So I was looking at my awning lights yesterday to figure how they were installed and how to proceed. They are actually in a channel under the awning, pointing downward, between the wall of the coach and the awning fabric. The channel surprised me. I thought they were just stuck up under there. They are "pretty much" protected from the weather and not in contact with a wet awning. What's odd is that both of them went bad at the same time. I'm wondering, before I replace them, if it might be something else besides moisture that could be causing them to be dim all of a sudden?

There is also a "cap" over the connection between the light strip and the wiring into the coach. I tried to slide it but it didn't seem to want to move. I wanted to see if it's a plug or if it's hard wired. Anyone know, before I break it, if it slides or pries off?

Pictures attached. First is the "cap", second is a bad picture of light strip - from top down, the top of the picture is the awning rolled up, the middle is the light strip, the bottom is the side of the coach. My phone just wouldn't focus on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4373[1].jpg
Views:	438
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	10759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4384[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	10760  
Old 06-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
hdrolling

No help with the repairs but I'm in the same boat as you. Last year my rear awning LED's were dim and the front were fine. This year the rear has half the lights out and still dim and the front is still bright but coming away from the awning in a couple places.

I haven't decided if I want to replace the rear with an OEM strip or just go aftermarket? I'd like to keep the awning lights connected to the wall switch and not have to wire to the porch lights. With the porch lights being LED as well they light up the outside more than I like sometimes.

Here's the link to were the OEM lights are.http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...y=Light&page=2

The issue with OEM is their over a $100 a kit were you can get aftermarket kits that change color for half that.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
canesfan

I wouldn't go with the overpriced OEM lights, unless, for some reason, they are a different width than aftermarket lights to fit in that channel, but I highly doubt it. I guess I'll find out. Either way why would you have to wire to the porch light? The wires to the switch are there. I still haven't gotten that cap off because I need to borrow a taller stepladder, but even if you have to cut the wires and splice them together if there's not a plug there that should be no big deal. Just make sure you waterproof the connection after.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
hdrolling

Looking forward to hearing how yours goes, I need to do mine but my electric water heater is out so I need to get that done first before we leave next week to New England for two weeks.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote