Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
pmedic433

How can I keep animals out of my dometic brisk air ii?

On a recent trip, I was setting up and turned the main A/C on and noticed that only the compressor was running. Upon further inspection I found a 2in. hole where (I think) a squirrel chewed thru and made a nest by the fan and condenser coil. Sorry I don't have pics. What do you use to keep these animals out? And he chewed the styrofoam fan shroud. Also are there any online parts diagrams available? Guess I will be buying a 2 new fan blades and 2 new shrouds. Ugh!!!! This critter got both units!
pmedic433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:16 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Persistent squirrel, that's for sure !!! There are a couple of online parts catalogs available that you can use to get part numbers for what you need. Armed with those part numbers, often times a Google search will provide you with some alternatives for cheaper prices. Just do a search for each part number individually and you should find who has them cheapest. Here is one catalog link: http://www.rvdealership.com/rvdstore...rNumber=885555

If you can't find your actual A/C listed in the left column, you can type in your unit part number to locate the parts breakdown you need.

Since it's apparent the OEM top cover isn't going to keep the critters out, you might want to consider the MAXX AIR after market shroud. They are usually more durable and offer better ventilation than the factory "top-side cover".

Good Luck !!!

ADDED: I found this on the Dometic site: "You can order parts for your Dometic RV product(s) directly by calling the retail sales department at 1-800-544-4881. Please be sure to have your model number available so the correct parts list can be obtained. If you are in need of any Dometic RV refrigerator, air conditioner or A&E awning parts you can also call us at 1-800-544-4881 or purchase from any RV Dealer or Camping World location."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
pmedic433

Thanks!!! The link did not provide the part #s I needed. I have calls into 3 places trying to get parts now. Its not looking good.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM   #4
Pull Toy

Once you're back to rights, and if you think it may recur, Cabella's, Boats U.S., and several other sources sell a plastic OWL replica that pretty much scares away rodents, and pests. The high end ones even swivel in the wind.

Here around New England's famous salt water cruising grounds, almost every boat has a rubber snake, and a plastic owl topside when at anchor. Guess what... mostly no mice, and no Seagull POOP!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
pmedic433

Here is an update. Dometic the manufacture of the A/C units does not make a replacement shroud. The only way I can get a new one is to get a new unit. UGH!!!! Insurance will only cover one unit and I would have to buy the second. So My third option and the one I will pursue, is to build my own fan shroud and replace the blade! Dometic was absolutely no help!!!!!! I will post pics of the repair.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmedic433 View Post
Here is an update. Dometic the manufacture of the A/C units does not make a replacement shroud. The only way I can get a new one is to get a new unit. UGH!!!! Insurance will only cover one unit and I would have to buy the second. So My third option and the one I will pursue, is to build my own fan shroud and replace the blade! Dometic was absolutely no help!!!!!! I will post pics of the repair.
Since the A/C's are "replace not repair" is there a chance an RV service facility near you might have one or more laying in the scrap pile waiting salvage? You might be able to get one from them that is just going to be junked for a lot less "hassle" than trying to build something. Just a thought......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote