Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
kguess

Buddy bearings

Has anyone had a problem with buddy bearings accepting grease. Two of mine will not , when I try to pump it , it will not go in. I tapped on the bearing, raised the wheel to take pressure off but it still didn't work. I guess I must have to change them . Any other suggestions, please send my way. I am using and old-school grease gun.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're talking about the EZ Lube system on Dexter axles, I'd urge you to read the instructions before proceeding. The wheel needs to be off the ground and you spin the wheel while "SLOWLY" pumping grease into the zerk fitting. If you have the wheel on the ground and pump grease into the axle, you stand a very good chance of pushing grease past your grease seal and the next time you tow, you'll probably contaminate your brake shoes/hub surface.

I've used the EZ Lube system for years without problems, but when I took my axles apart to inspect bearings this fall, all 4 of my grease seals had leaked and I had to buy new brake shoes magnets. Rather than that, I bought 4 new brake assemblies at the cost of about $200.

When you think about it, there's not much savings by using the EZ Lube system if you contaminate your brakes. I've definitely changed my mind about "pumping grease into the hubs" after my experience this summer.

If you're intent on using the zerk fittings, they may be plugged. You can buy new zerk fittings for less than a buck each (probably 50 cents) at any auto parts store.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
kguess

Yes I read that after posting. They are not buddy bearings but EZ lube. I'll lift the trailer and do it the correct way. Thanks for your info.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Titan Guy

I don't use the ez-lube zerk fittings. I pack my bearings yearly and after installing the new rear bearing and seal, I fill the hub cavity about 1/2 full of grease, slide it on the spindle, push as much grease as possible back in the cavity, install the new outer bearing and clean off the excess grease.
Don't touch them again for another year.
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
kguess

After pulling the first hub, I am good, no leak into the system so I'll clean, repack and adjust brakes and move to next wheel.....taking it slow , reading up on the process as I go. Will see how it goes......thanks, kenny