Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
donnie_o8

awning problems

I got a Passport GT 3100 rk....the awning is in but quit working. The wife says the switch had been sticking .(she runs the awning). I'm suspecting a bad switch and a possible burned up motor. the switch is no big deal but the motor might be a different story. How do I open the awning up to get the info off the tube to be sure what I have to be able to get a motor if needed? If I get it open will I be able to roll it back up till I can get the parts I need? Is it spring loaded at all? The trailer is on a seasonal lot so I would like to know what I'm up against when I go out there this weekend. Is this something that I can do alone..(with the wife)...or will I need extra muscle???
We need a bigger truck!!

donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Larry1013

You will need someone besides wifey. She can help[ but you will need more muscle for sure.

Here is a video on how to replace the fabric on an awning. This is a similar process as to what you may need to do to get the awning off and then to re-install it. The motor is another issue you might can find on youtube

https://youtu.be/ZfpM-op0dkU

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie_o8 View Post
I got a Passport GT 3100 rk....the awning is in but quit working. The wife says the switch had been sticking .(she runs the awning). I'm suspecting a bad switch and a possible burned up motor. the switch is no big deal but the motor might be a different story. How do I open the awning up to get the info off the tube to be sure what I have to be able to get a motor if needed? If I get it open will I be able to roll it back up till I can get the parts I need? Is it spring loaded at all? The trailer is on a seasonal lot so I would like to know what I'm up against when I go out there this weekend. Is this something that I can do alone..(with the wife)...or will I need extra muscle???
First of all, I'd leave the awning alone and replace the switch. Chances are, if it has been sticking, it's the "guilty party"... The motor is fuse protected, so if the switch did stick, the fuse "should have" protected the motor from damage. Before trying to tackle the motor, get a replacement switch, try that. If it works, you've saved yourself a lot of hassle. If it doesn't, then you'll know that the work ahead is really necessary....... Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
therink

I would remove the switch from the wall, jump the wires to confirm if the switch is working or not. My electric awning also has a solid state relay located tucked into the wall behind the switch. I know this because my awning stopped working once and I had a bad relay. Replaced the Relay under warranty and has worked fine ever since. You don't want to R&R the motor unless you know it is bad.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
donnie_o8

I did plan on starting with the switch. I did check all of fuse's they are all ok. The relay I wasn't aware of so I will also look there. going up there in the morning to start chasing down the problem. the switch was gonna be replaced regardless because of the sticking...To find the hot wire at the switch can I use a regular test light to find the hot wire? I'm not sure what I'm gonna find behind the switch as I haven't taken it out yet. I'm guessing I'm going to see two wires and the switch itself is what reverses the motor???? Tried to get a switch up the road at a rv dealer and they told me they need to see the switch because there are many different ones. So I'm kinda stuck till I get up there and start looking around.
We need a bigger truck!!

donnie_o8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
therink

It should be a two way switch so there should be 3 wires. I used a multi volt meter. This is how I determined that my relay was bad. It wasn't letting Voltage past it when the switch was activated. While I waited for the regulator to be replaced I jury rigged jumper wires to bypass all to get the awning to open and close.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote