Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
CO_Mom

Tire blowout damage, repair question

Hi, ya'll!

We've been RV owners for all of (nearly) 6 weeks. We've already spent 2 weeks in our 5th wheel, and put a few thousand (more) miles on it.

We had a flat tire on our 2nd day ... but since buying the RV used, we didn't REALLY know how old the tires were. We proceeded to replace all 4 the next day (a story in and of itself....)

The tire blowout did quite a bit of damage to the RV. We have a new fender on the way from Trekwood (thanks, forum posters!) and are not going to deal with the metal trim at the bottom right now. (It was shredded, and I made the not-so-great decision under stress on the side of I-80 in Montana to get nippers and cut the dangling part off...)

If you've gotten this far, THANKS for sticking with me. My question really has to do with the black mesh "fabric" type stuff above the tires. The blowout took out a section of this stuff. FWIW, it was on the passenger side, so not near the slide....

This seems like an easy way in for all kinds of woodland critters that I don't want. How do I repair it??

Thanks so much!!
CO_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

You can get black mesh fabric through ebay and Amazon (Google it) and also black coroplast tape through the same two sources. You can also use Gorilla tape to attach the fabric patch to the "good part" of the section.

Try Googling "black mesh tape" to find other sources ......www.trekwood.com might also stock it.

Sorry, but I've only steered you on to sources where you can get the supplies to do the job but without seeing what you are facing, giving suggestions on how to repair it isn't easy.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a number of different types of "underbelly enclosure material" the two most common in Keystone products are coroplast (plastic corrugated material) and Darco Fabric (polyethylene coated fabric). You can find Darco Fabric at any mobile home parts supplier. It would be much cheaper to buy it locally than to pay shipping from Trekwood or another online RV supplier.

Here is one site that will explain what Darco Fabric is and how it's used. http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/underbelly.htm

As stated above, cut away/remove the damaged fabric, then use a stapler to hold the new fabric in place and seal the edges of the new to the good parts of the old with gorilla tape. It will be there for the duration.

Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Bushman512000

Black mesh

Go to a feed store and get a few grain bags yes they are white but when they are in place a can of Black primer paint at a cost of a buck or two will fix that I know I did it and even the wife was in dis may at My job ..lol...good luck
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:12 AM   #5
CO_Mom

Thank you!

Wow, exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for all the input.
CO_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote