Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
LeoM

Spring shackles

My 2007 Raptor 3912 lost the shackle on the center axle rear spring after a 1200 mile trip. Lucky it decided to leave after the unload and on the way to storage yard. Having a hard time finding replacement shackles,bushings and, bolts. Shackle measures 3.5 inches long with 2.25 inches bolt hole center and 1.25 wide. The bushing is shot but it looks to be 3/4 OD and 9/16 ID.
Has anyone else had this issue and what did you replace them with? Upgrade the rest of the shackles and bushing right now is out of the question. Any help?
LeoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
bsmith0404

If you don't want to replace/upgrade them all right now, any decent machine shop should be able to make you a new one fairly cheap. just take one of the others that they can use as a pattern.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
cjm

try Find it parts, that's where I got mine, and the dimensions sound similar.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #4
Irving Ray

Would like to upgrade mine 2013 28sgs , is there a way to know what was used , to order a better setup ? Had a problem like this on an Aljo and don't want to go through it again.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #5
jsmith948

Go to Dexter's website and you can order a Wet Bolt conversion kit. It comes with heavier shackles, wet bolts, and bronze bushings. Lippert has a kit as well.
If you do a forum search on suspension or wet bolt upgrades, you will find several threads.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irving Ray View Post
Would like to upgrade mine 2013 28sgs , is there a way to know what was used , to order a better setup ? Had a problem like this on an Aljo and don't want to go through it again.
You might want to double check your trailer before replacing the shackles. If I remember correctly, the 2013 Cougars came standard with the Mor-Ryde CRE-3000 system. I don't think it would be beneficial to replace that with a "standard steel shackle". As stated, wet bolt kits are available for your suspension. That's pretty much the extent of "upgrades" unless you're interested in torsion bar suspension, disc brakes, air suspension, etc. And those would probably cost way too much to justify.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:06 AM   #7
Irving Ray

Wet bolts is what I had in mind , after many long tows found I had my tires running sideways down the road ,bad idea, Thanks for the response. Bart
Old 05-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
Bob Landry

The Dexter kits contain all of the parts needed to replace equalizers, shackles and bushings and sells for around $160. It also includes wet bolts. Dexter makes several versions of the kit for different factory setups and their website has very good directions on how to measure yours to insure you get the correct kit.

If you do it yourself, pay attention to removing the existing bolts. The hangers that are welded to the trailer frame have splines, as do the existing bolts. You can use an impact wrench to remove the nuts on the back sides of the hangers, but you have to tap the bolts out to prevent stripping the splines in the hanger. if you strip them, you'll have to have new hangers welded on as these are what keeps the wet bolt from rotating from it's installed position. The directions are pretty clear on all of this.
When you see this kit you'll wonder why the OEM builders don't install them. They are heavy duty plus.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Desert185

+1 on posts 6 and 8.

My Mor/ryde wet bolt kit (because of the stock CRE/3000 equalizer) comprised of Dexter parts and was only $88 last year via www.smile.amazon.com.

Search this forum for "Wet bolts" for detailed installation if you decide to install them yourself.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #10
Irving Ray

Thanks

The order is in and hope the project isn't to tough , what the heck , bending over is to tough !