Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
AlbertaRvMan

Leaky bathroom faucet

Hello.

We have noticed that when turning on the bathroom faucet, water drips from the knobs on the faucet and onto the counter top. I'm not sure how to identify the source of the leak or how to open the faucet knobs. I assume there is a seal that needs tightening or replacing.

Appreciate some help. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	6897  
Old 08-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
Hello.

We have noticed that when turning on the bathroom faucet, water drips from the knobs on the faucet and onto the counter top. I'm not sure how to identify the source of the leak or how to open the faucet knobs. I assume there is a seal that needs tightening or replacing.

Appreciate some help. Thank you.
The o-ring has scale build up on it. You have to remove the knob, then remove the stem (the part the knob attaches to). YOu can replace the o-ring and put a little plumbers grease on it....or you can go buy a higher quality faucet and replace the whole unit with something nicer. Also, if you don't use some type of water softener/filter, start..it will help prevent future problems.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
kellydog98

The knob should have a plastic piece on top which easily 'pop's' off. You will fine a screw, usually a phillips, that needs to come out and then the knob should easily come off. You will need to turn off the water also. Getting to the rubber washer, which sounds like the culprit, then entails removing the core assembly from the faucet and then replacing the washer. You can easily take the assembly into your local hardware store where they will help you with the part you need. Good Luck!

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Blueswede

Unfortunately, the faucets in most RVs are as cheap as you can get. I"m going to replace my bathroom ones with a decent quality metal ones after our next trip. IMO, the time you spend trying to fix that one would be better spent replacing it with a good one.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
KYFamily

I replaced ours this past spring with a Delta from Lowes. Much nicer and no more leaks.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
HappyCamperMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueswede View Post
Unfortunately, the faucets in most RVs are as cheap as you can get. I"m going to replace my bathroom ones with a decent quality metal ones after our next trip. IMO, the time you spend trying to fix that one would be better spent replacing it with a good one.
Given the issues that I've heard with the counter tops swelling if they get wet, I've thought about eventually replacing the entire counter-top / sink / faucet with something solid surface. With kids in and out of the bathroom all day long it seems like there is always standing water on around the bathroom sink.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Most RV sinks are installed with a bead of silicone around the mounting base, then lowered onto the countertop and allowed to sit until the silicone cures. Usually there's no problem with water finding its way to the OSB/particle board under the sink. The usual place leaks occur is in the rubber gasket under the faucet. Often people tend to pull or push on the faucet and cause the mounting nuts to loosen and the faucet starts to move around making things even worse. That's when water starts leaking down onto the countertop base and it starts to swell. Keeping the mounting nuts tight on the faucet will surely help with leaks around the faucet.

Last time I checked, the "almond color plastic bathroom faucet with the knobs as shown in the OP's picture" were less than $10. There is one at our local WalMart for $5.88. I'd agree with previous suggestions to upgrade to a better quality faucet rather than try to repair the leak on the present faucet.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
hankaye

AlbertaRvMan, Howdy;

Quick temp. fix ... pop the center caps (the bits with the H & C),
and use whatever tool Phillips sd or allen wrench and snug the screw down.
Should last till you figure out which replacement you want.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #9
AlbertaRvMan

Hi all, thanks for the reply.

I have not got around to swapping the faucet yet but plan to before the season starts.

My dealer suggested I look on this site
http://phoenixfaucets.com/store/cate...s/recreational

But I don't know what style will work.

I would like a new faucet with more clearance for hand washing, but I'm not sure on the height I can go with for the faucet or how it connects below the counter.

Also I will prob change the outdoor kitchen faucet as well to make dish washing easier. (Higher faucet)

Any suggestions on a faucet and help on doing the swap out? I get a bit nervous with water, as a leak can be so destructive. I want to do it right. My dealership is quite far away, so I will be doing the work.

Thank you.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
hankaye

AlbertaRvMan, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaRvMan View Post
Hi all, thanks for the reply.

I have not got around to swapping the faucet yet but plan to before the season starts.

My dealer suggested I look on this site
http://phoenixfaucets.com/store/cate...s/recreational

But I don't know what style will work.

I would like a new faucet with more clearance for hand washing, but I'm not sure on the height I can go with for the faucet or how it connects below the counter.

Also I will prob change the outdoor kitchen faucet as well to make dish washing easier. (Higher faucet)

Any suggestions on a faucet and help on doing the swap out? I get a bit nervous with water, as a leak can be so destructive. I want to do it right. My dealership is quite far away, so I will be doing the work.

Thank you.
Basically, they come in 2 sizes, 4" (bathroom) and 8" (Probably Kitchen),
from there it just a matter of picking what you like as far as price and
style.
Here's a video about using a 'Special wrench' that can save you a lot of fustration

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Blueswede

Don't feel like you have to stay with a cheap RV faucet.....any nice 4" centered faucet will work. I took out my crappy $5.00 faucet and installed a really nice satin nickel one by Moen. It has a high arc spout; looks great. I'd suggest Moen, Delta, A. Standard or Price Pfister. Stay away from Glacier Bay and all the other no name brands.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

My beach house has Moen as a upgrade . Found the sprayer not working and went to a plumber shop to buy parts. Shop said Moen is all life time warranty. I phoned them today and they are sending a new sprayer for a 2008 model, the guy said sorry for having a problem, replacement is free. My future purchases will be more Moen. To be fair I have no idea what the other companies offer regarding warranties.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
fatlube

Unhappy bath sink leak

so i have replaced washers, elbows and faucet but it is still leaking.
leak i believe is coming from hose to fitting. any suggestions ?
thanks.
fatlube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:00 AM   #14
Blueswede

Make sure you are not missing a washer that may be needed inside the hose. Not sure what type of hose it is.....also try putting some Teflon tape on the male threads.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Stuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueswede View Post
Don't feel like you have to stay with a cheap RV faucet.....any nice 4" centered faucet will work. I took out my crappy $5.00 faucet and installed a really nice satin nickel one by Moen. It has a high arc spout; looks great. I'd suggest Moen, Delta, A. Standard or Price Pfister. Stay away from Glacier Bay and all the other no name brands.
So basically, any 4" faucet at Lowes or Home Depot will fit right in?
Stuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:03 AM   #16
Blueswede

As long as it has the two 1/2" threads on the 4" centers. Some come with the supplies in the center. At least for mine, that style wouldn't work.