Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Mike L123

How Do You Adjust the Oven Door?

Hi Everyone!

Just today I FINALLY got around to doing the electronic ignition mod for the stove top burners and the oven pilot light. Momma is happy! This is on a standard Atwood installed stove/oven by the way. When I removed the door the darn springs just about broke both of my thumbs because I forgot to get them outta the way of the spring loaded hinges. Ouch!

I noticed that the Oven door does not seal very well, especially at the top of the door. We are losing copious amount of heat through the gap and I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of how to adjust this door so it closes more tightly. We rigged up a bungee cord out of an "S" hook and some heavy rubber bands to pull the door tight while momma does her Christmas baking (yummmmmmmmy).

I tried the forum search engine and there was nothing found that would answer my query.

Thanks for reading my post.

Cheers!

Mike
Carol, My wonderful wife of 41 years
Kenzie Schweenie Tod, our furry faced Shih 't n Dash
Mike L123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Once you get your thumbs functional again, take a look at the screws holding the hinges in place. If the springs slammed the hinge posts into the door, the hinge assembly may have shifted position slightly. If so, then loosening the screws, pulling the hinges forward slightly and tightening the screws may help. If not, possibly you bent the framework or the hinges ???? If so, you might want to contact Atwood to see if their Customer Support section has any ideas short of replacing the hinges or the door...

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Forget it .... leave the door cracked open a little. I can smell those cookies all the way from Jersey!!!! MMMMMMMMMMM Time for a cup of de-caff .

Seriously ... I think John is right. some of the hinges have slotted or over-sized holes. On a hinge like that, a little movement can make a big difference. Pictures of your mod (and the cookies) would be nice also. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Mike L123

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I will try your suggestions about adjusting the hinges via the screws. The thumbs are healing although the left one is still really swelled up around the big joint. At least it is moving a bit more today. I will certainly put up a few pics of the mod. Momma is really liking it, as is my tummy Not too sure about the cookie pictures though!

Cheers!

Mike
Old 12-08-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

You do know that there are two holes in the hinges? All you have to do to keep them from "attacking you" is to open the door, slip a nail through each of the holes, one in each hinge, and then slightly close the door, the nails will hold the hinges open as the door slides out of the groves in the oven wall. Installing is just the reverse.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Mike L123

Hi John and thanks for your tip, even though it was a bit too late. I will be a while getting back to this project as I got an unwanted Christmas present from my Dr. of a cancer diagnosis. Kinda took the wind outta my sails for now. Carol and I are back in Alberta for a few weeks so that we can spend the Christmas season with our kids, grand kids and other family members.

We have to be back to our winter camp ground at Osoyoos, BC by the end of December for surgery and treatment.

Cheers All and Merry Christmas!