Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
Wrongway Smitty

HW heater trippping

The water heater keeps tripping and I have to go out and hit the reset button. Will cleaning the Anode rod fix this? I don't know if I can get a new one right off the bat. Don't trust local dealer. If I take this rod out can I put it back OK. 2012 Montana 37.5 FL
Wrongway Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

anode rod has nothing to do with the heater "tripping", it's role is to prevent scaling on the inside of the tank.

When you say tripping, could you explain in a more detail?

Is it on LP or electric? Are you plugged in to shore power?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Wrongway Smitty

Hi Chuckster57
Thank you for answering me. I turned off the power and water, pulled the rod flushed and cleaned the tank with a shotgun cleaning rod. Plumbers tapped the rod and put it back in. Filled the tank and turned everything back on. Still don't work on electric but is working on gas. I need to change the rod and probably need to get a new electric element or 2? Is there a good place on-line to get parts? to answer you question I'm hooked up to 50amp device. There is 2 reset buttons on the end of the tank.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
bobbecky

Behind the rubber cover over the reset button, there is a hard fiber rod that is the button that you push on to reset the over temp device. If that rod is red in color, you have a defective thermostat/high temp control. I believe there was a recall on these from Suburban. We replaced ours last year for the same problem. The new ones will have a gray button. They are fairly easy to replace, you don't have to drain the water heater. Once you have the black cover off, (after making sure you have the breaker turned off), make sure there is no voltage at the terminals, remove the two spade connectors from the device, remove the single nut from the stud and remove the thermostat and install the new one, reinstall everything as you had removed them. The Suburban part number for the 120 volt thermostat/Hi-limit switch is 232306.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

You can check your WH element without removing it if you have a multi-meter. Loosen the two screws on the element (WITH SHORE POWER DISCONNECTED) remove the wires - Check continuity ( Ω ) across the two screws. If the element is good it should read between 11 and 13 ohms. Less = the element is broken .. more = the element is shorted to ground. You can get an element at any hardware, plumbing or "Home" store. Just match the wattage and volts. Remember it is 120v ac. You might pay twice as much at a RV dealer.
Let us know what you find and if you need to replace the element we can walk you through it. If you decide to do it yourself ... while buying the element purchase the wrench to remove and install it. They are under $10 and so are the elements. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
Wrongway Smitty

Thank you all so much. I won't have time to do anything till Friday. Once I find out what I need is there a place I can order parts from on line. Nearest town of a parts store that might have the parts is 30miles. The outfit in this town I think messed up my fridge when they come to do some warranty work. Now my fridge leaks water all over the floor. Plus the door to the water heater was open when they left. They weren't supposed to be working on the water heater. Anyway, I don't want to have them work on it again if I don't have to. So I will need your help. Thanks again. Smitty
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Lots of members swear by

http://www.trekwood.com/

I've never used them so I don't know. Make sure you have the brand and model of your water heater so you order the right parts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The refrigerator leaking onto the floor may be as simple as the drain hose on the back no routed through the lower vent or pulled loose from the evaporator drain tray which sits under the fins at the top of the refrigerator.

As for the thermostat, let us know what you find and hopefully you can get it working without much hassle.

If you're an Amazon Prime member (free 2 day shipping) the majority of the parts you'd need are available on Amazon at a very reasonable price as long as you don't have to pay shipping charges.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Elements come in different wattage but you most likely can use This one found on Home Depots website. They also sell THE WRENCH to install it. If there are other things you need that brings your order over $45 shipping is free.

From what you describe on your fridge, I would suspect the drain hose on the back as John mentioned.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote