Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Wingrider

smoking electric panel

I have a 2011 Montana 3400 RL. I plugged my camper into elect service a couple days prior to trip. Noticed smoke coming from elect panel. Bat seems weak. It seems as long as i dont use dc lights I can still use the camper..got everything unplugged, im thinking power converter? Any thoughts.
Wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

If you plug the shore power in, you'll have power gong to the converter, and if it is indeed no good, and smoking, you need to correct that issue BEFORE you try to use your trailer.

If it's a free standing unit that plugs into behind the fuse/breaker panel, it's an easy swap. Unplug, take the two battery leads off and replace. When/if you disconnect the battery leads, protect them from shorting out. Make sure you replace it with a unit of equal or greater amperage.

If its built into the panel, then it's a bit more involved, but in any case it needs to be addressed before you use the unit. The way RV's are built, it only takes seconds for them to catch fire, and you won't be able to save it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Along with the safety concerns that Chuck mentioned. Your fridge, furnace and a/c all require 12v for control boards. So you will not be able to use them unless ....... Find the circuit breaker marked CONverter and confirm that it marked correctly and turn it off. You can use an automobile battery charger to charge your battery to supply 12v for lights and appliances. Be sure to isolate the converter from the system to avoid any hazard of fire. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
christopherglenn

"I plugged my camper into elect service a couple days prior to trip."
What exactly did you plug into? a standard 120 volt outlet (like a light plugs into) or something else? Was it a new outlet for the rv?
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
CUFFS054

I could be wussing out here, but damn, smoking electrical stuff in a confined space... I pass on this weeks trip till it's fixed.
CUFFS054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Smoke is what makes electrical stuff work. If you let the smoke out, it won't work properly until you take it in for maintenance and they put more smoke back into the busted parts.

No really, if it smoked, I wouldn't be towing it anywhere except the dealership for repair. The very LAST thing you need is to get it in some "close quarters campground" with your awning out and have that smoke turn into flames...... Certainly not worth that kind of risk. Get it checked out before the next camping trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote