Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
dietzldub

Crack in Fiberglass

We have a 2018 Cougar 366RDS.

We have a 4” crack in the fiberglass wall, in the top corner of the right rear slide opening.

I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it, and placed a piece of Dicor sealing tape over it pending what Keystone says.

Anybody else have this problem? If so please let me know what you did.

Edit: sorry the pics didn’t come out upright.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBF6C7C6-F384-4DF0-8E76-F64E3A7B96F0.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	24946   Click image for larger version

Name:	B55ECF70-CCEE-4AA3-AA1D-3D7B4D561C2F.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	24947   Click image for larger version

Name:	595CED33-8911-4AAE-A48C-C108ABBC4A8C.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	24948  
dietzldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
ChuckS

Sadly the crack is only going to continue to extend until you find the source of the structure crack behind the filon.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Shortly after we purchased our 5er, the overhang made contact with the bed rail of the truck. It wasn't a hard enough hit to dent the truck, but it was a hard enough hit it cracked the fiberglass on the trailer near the bottom (passenger side corner). We were devastated. It also knocked the trim whack-o too.

Fast forward a few more months and got past winter and then decided to see about getting it fixed. The dealership was asking an astronomical amount for the repair and I figured, once again, anything anyone else can do, I can do also.

I purchased a Bondo Fiberglass Repair Kit (about $20.00), read the instructions carefully, watched some YouTube videos and then decided to fix it.

When I sanded down the cracked area, I discovered the crack was only surface deep and did not go all the way through, but also found out it extended farther than originally thought.

I followed the directions for the Bondo and after about 3 applications sanded down all the bumps and residue. I got it as smooth as possible.

Now, the only problem was color matching the original paint. Unfortunately, my dealership was no help getting a matching can of spray paint. And they suggested going to an automotive parts store and they could color match. Wrong!

But I found a color in a spray can the seemed to blend in OK. I got 2 cans, and also 2 cans of spray gelcoat. The only problem I had was trimming a straight edge. Even using painter's tape, the line was still raggedy looking.

To solve the problem, I went back to the automotive store and got tape pin striping and ran it along the edges. The end result was ... well ... you decide? Can you tell where the cracks were:

Old 01-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Hblick48

Noticed a crack on the filon at the lower front bedroom slide corner when we purchased unit 4 years ago. I drilled hole at the end and covered with silicone. Crack came back and for longer. Drilled another hole and covered with silicone. After this last trip, I noticed that the silicone had cracked open, further inspection required!

Today I ripped off the filon and laun and found a crack in the aluminum framing at the bottom corner of the slide opening.

I have found "Frame Flex" issues dating all the way back to 2002, when our rig was built. Seems like the Keystone fix was to install a piece of molding to allow the frame to flex without cracking the filon.

I have access to a tig welder. Would appreciate any input on how to structurally repair the crack and replace filon and laun. Really don't want to remove slide to do the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	24959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	24960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	24961  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
dietzldub

Wow nice repair job Dutchmen. I can’t tell where the repair was made.

HBlick that’s a though repair there. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks
dietzldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Noticed a crack on the filon at the lower front bedroom slide corner when we purchased unit 4 years ago. I drilled hole at the end and covered with silicone. Crack came back and for longer. Drilled another hole and covered with silicone. After this last trip, I noticed that the silicone had cracked open, further inspection required!

Today I ripped off the filon and laun and found a crack in the aluminum framing at the bottom corner of the slide opening.

I have found "Frame Flex" issues dating all the way back to 2002, when our rig was built. Seems like the Keystone fix was to install a piece of molding to allow the frame to flex without cracking the filon.

I have access to a tig welder. Would appreciate any input on how to structurally repair the crack and replace filon and laun. Really don't want to remove slide to do the repair.
There was/is a structual defect in some of the LCI frames that could cause the cracking in that area. There is actually a service bulletin that Keystone dealerships have in how to repair it:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...0&d=1576700143

The thing that really bothers me is that both Keystone and LCI knows that this is a design defect in the frame construction. Why aren’t they repairing these issues at THEIR expense instead of yours?

John
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
There was/is a structual defect in some of the LCI frames that could cause the cracking in that area. There is actually a service bulletin that Keystone dealerships have in how to repair it:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...0&d=1576700143

The thing that really bothers me is that both Keystone and LCI knows that this is a design defect in the frame construction. Why aren’t they repairing these issues at THEIR expense instead of yours?

John
As "uncaring" as it might seem, it pretty much depends on the numbers (percentages) of trailers affected vs the number built with that frame. If the "failure rate" is high enough, then a "recall or factory assistance" is warranted. If the failure rate doesn't reach the level of "a significant problem" then the factory doesn't address it "across the entire line"...

It's the same with the car manufacturers. If there's a "safety problem" they issue a recall. If it's a design issue not affecting safety, they issue "TSB's" with certain criteria. The criteria may be "all affected vehicles" or it may be limited to a "time from sale" or "mileage limit". If yours fails within the criteria, the manufacturer will fix the problem or pay a part of the repairs. If it falls "outside the limits" then it's up to the owner to foot the bill.

I know Keystone has repaired a number of trailers, but I've heard of about as many that they've refused to repair at company expense, so I'd suppose it's a matter of "falling within the limitations" and I don't know what those limitations are.

I do know that it's a "Lippert deficiency" (as you indicated) and a part of the Keystone repair is to install wood 2x4's" to strengthen the area. While that might work, seems to me it's more a "patch" than a "deficiency repair"...

Not that it's any consolation, but the same Lippert frame is used by other manufacturers and they all are having the same problem on some units that were produced.

As to "why they haven't fixed the problem". They may have fixed it (or thought they did) and another issue is causing similar cracks. On the other hand, if it's only a minimal number of trailers with the issue, they may just be ignoring the problem.... Sort of like DARCO in wheelwells, if they make it past the warranty period, that's "good enough"... I don't agree with that way of thinking about reliability, but, that doesn't mean it is or is not the "company understanding.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As "uncaring" as it might seem, it pretty much depends on the numbers (percentages) of trailers affected vs the number built with that frame. If the "failure rate" is high enough, then a "recall or factory assistance" is warranted. If the failure rate doesn't reach the level of "a significant problem" then the factory doesn't address it "across the entire line"...

It's the same with the car manufacturers. If there's a "safety problem" they issue a recall. If it's a design issue not affecting safety, they issue "TSB's" with certain criteria. The criteria may be "all affected vehicles" or it may be limited to a "time from sale" or "mileage limit". If yours fails within the criteria, the manufacturer will fix the problem or pay a part of the repairs. If it falls "outside the limits" then it's up to the owner to foot the bill.

I know Keystone has repaired a number of trailers, but I've heard of about as many that they've refused to repair at company expense, so I'd suppose it's a matter of "falling within the limitations" and I don't know what those limitations are.

I do know that it's a "Lippert deficiency" (as you indicated) and a part of the Keystone repair is to install wood 2x4's" to strengthen the area. While that might work, seems to me it's more a "patch" than a "deficiency repair"...

Not that it's any consolation, but the same Lippert frame is used by other manufacturers and they all are having the same problem on some units that were produced.

As to "why they haven't fixed the problem". They may have fixed it (or thought they did) and another issue is causing similar cracks. On the other hand, if it's only a minimal number of trailers with the issue, they may just be ignoring the problem.... Sort of like DARCO in wheelwells, if they make it past the warranty period, that's "good enough"... I don't agree with that way of thinking about reliability, but, that doesn't mean it is or is not the "company understanding.....
John, I know it's not just a Keystone problem. We both know many RV manufacturers use the same LCI frames across many different models. I've seen postings about similar wall cracks around the bedroom slides on many other forums as well.

And you are right, they may well be ignoring the problem, hoping it will just go away when it's past the warranty. Which is probably most of the time because I would imagine it awhile before the flexing of the frame will actually break the welds causing the cracks to occur.

I would hope by now that LCI has wised up and actually FIXED the problem but I'm not sure if they have. I guess we will know for sure in a couple more years or so One thing is for sure, I inspect the Filon siding on my RV almost monthly.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:15 AM   #9
chunker

Not to seem to "uncaring" but this thread has people responding to 2 issues, the OP who bonked his and the added comment who has a 2002, 18 year old+ Montana. RVs are disposable items and use and misuse accelerate that declining condition. I'm not a fan of Lippert or any RV piece/part manufacturer but I don't think it reasonable to expect anything almost 20 years old to affected by a recall.

It's known that cars are strongly regulated and RVs NOT.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Not to seem to "uncaring" but this thread has people responding to 2 issues, the OP who bonked his and the added comment who has a 2002, 18 year old+ Montana. RVs are disposable items and use and misuse accelerate that declining condition. I'm not a fan of Lippert or any RV piece/part manufacturer but I don't think it reasonable to expect anything almost 20 years old to affected by a recall.

It's known that cars are strongly regulated and RVs NOT.
Yeap, and to each member making comments in the thread, whether it's a 2018 Cougar 366RDS (the OP) or a 2002 Montana (later response) their trailer problem is real, an issue with a need for repair and a major concern not only for investment purposes but also for public and personal safety/reliability. All items are "disposable" at some point, and for both the members who shared their photos, their trailer hasn't yet reached the "just throw it away" stage in the useful life.

Theoretically, at some point the response will be, "Just throw the damn thing away". Reality is, in neither situation has the owner and his trailer reached that point. For newer trailers, warranty/factory support may be a consideration. For older trailers, not so much, but still worth addressing, even from a "don't expect any help from Keystone" perspective.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yeap, and to each member making comments in the thread, whether it's a 2018 Cougar 366RDS (the OP) or a 2002 Montana (later response) their trailer problem is real, an issue with a need for repair and a major concern not only for investment purposes but also for public and personal safety/reliability. All items are "disposable" at some point, and for both the members who shared their photos, their trailer hasn't yet reached the "just throw it away" stage in the useful life.

Theoretically, at some point the response will be, "Just throw the damn thing away". Reality is, in neither situation has the owner and his trailer reached that point. For newer trailers, warranty/factory support may be a consideration. For older trailers, not so much, but still worth addressing, even from a "don't expect any help from Keystone" perspective.
I'm not saying the problem isn't real, cause it is. I'm saying an almost 20 YO trailer isn't going to involved in a recall, especially the way RVs are currently not regulated like cars. I'm also not advocating more federal involvement because there's too much already. For both RV owners with frame or potential frame issues, the cracks need to be fixed in order to preserve what life they have in the vehicle and for the safety of them and those around them on the road. Keystone might be of some help if nothing more than information that would help in the repair. Never hurts to ask.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, rack