Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
TheSmithWheel

Winter Storage | Leveling & Jack Stands

Hello All - First post, as newbie as they come, I appreciate any help or guidance here.

We purchased our first 'new to us' fifth wheel only a couple weeks ago. The dealership winterized it before we pulled it from the lot. Since getting it home, we've spent time cleaning it, making minor repairs or modifications, and generally getting a feel for what needs to be addressed inside before taking it on our first local exploratory trip in the spring.

1.) As it relates to backyard leveling for winter storage. Is it necessary or even critical to level the unit for storage knowing that it will not move for what's likely another four months? If so, do you level with slides out or in before ultimately closing the slides at the final storage point of time?
The unit will be covered with a quality purpose intended cloth-like RV cover.

2.) On the first ride home after purchase, we blew a tire without a spare onboard. For this reason, we decided to purchase new tires all the way around, and they have less than 20 road miles on them since install. The tire shop tech suggested that we store the fifth wheel on axle jack stands so that the tires do not make contact with the ground. He overemphasized that doing so each winter along with appropriate wheel covers when not towing will ensure the maximum lifespan of said tires versus their sitting for four months bearing weight.
I genuinely don't know how to validate this claim, nor am I certain how safe it would be to take on the task. I'm not afraid to do so, but feel it's best to ask the community before trying to place both axles on jacks. The trailer dry weight is 10,081 lbs, and I have four 2 ton jack stands that in conjunction with the front landing jacks would suffice, I believe. Though I welcome insight and commentary.

Thank you in advance for your time here!
TheSmithWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!!

Congrats on your new purchase, sorry about the mishap on the way home. I would check with Keystone to verify that your trailer came without a spare as it’s rare not to have one.

If your not operating the fridge, level isn’t critical and some measure of tilt front or back may help in rain runoff. Leveling with slides in is easier.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

First welcome to the forum.

As I don't know how "unlevel" or what material your backyard parking is I'll give you my advice, for a spot that's not "doesn't take a billy goat" to walk it , and that your trailer doesn't have the 6 point leveling system..

Level is only necessary to operate the fridge and slides. If this parking area is not "on the side of a hill" but just an inch or two from side to side or front to back I wouldn't worry about it. With that said, I wouldn't park in a spot where the front was off level to one side and the wheels to the other side as you could twist the frame.

The tires will be ok with a pressure treated board under them to prevent contact with the ground, Keep the pressure at the max sidewall rating and covered from the sun.

I would not trust a 2 ton jack stand under a 5 ton trailer. I know the math may work but the 2 ton jack stands I've seen are pretty light and flimsily constructed but that's just me.

One other thought, did you purchase this camper "as is where is" from the dealer? Seems to me they owe you a set of tires. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
TheSmithWheel

@chuckster57 - Thank you for your reply and recommendation on rain/snow runoff. I'll clarify that the spare was mounted when I purchased it with the factory wheel stowed away, having already blown previously on the prior owner.

@flybouy - Thank you! The backyard parking is grass, and there is a visible trailer lean to one side. I will dig in further on just how level the front is versus the wheels. I appreciate the pressure-treated board tip for under the wheels. I've not come across this recommendation before. The dealership did sell 'as is,' and I pulled away knowing two tires looked visibly questionable. As shared above, I drove home on the spare as the factory wheel was in the cargo bay with rubber torn to shreds. I honestly should have bought new tires locally before the haul home but made a bad call and learned my first lesson quickly.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmithWheel View Post
@chuckster57 - Thank you for your reply and recommendation on rain/snow runoff. I'll clarify that the spare was mounted when I purchased it with the factory wheel stowed away, having already blown previously on the prior owner.

@flybouy - Thank you! The backyard parking is grass, and there is a visible trailer lean to one side. I will dig in further on just how level the front is versus the wheels. I appreciate the pressure-treated board tip for under the wheels. I've not come across this recommendation before. The dealership did sell 'as is,' and I pulled away knowing two tires looked visibly questionable. As shared above, I drove home on the spare as the factory wheel was in the cargo bay with rubber torn to shreds. I honestly should have bought new tires locally before the haul home but made a bad call and learned my first lesson quickly.
With a tire "torn to shreds" I'd be under the wheel wells with a flashlight giving it a good look. Often times when that happens the wheel wells get damaged. You can also have brake wires torn off or other damages to look for.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
TheSmithWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
With a tire "torn to shreds" I'd be under the wheel wells with a flashlight giving it a good look. Often times when that happens the wheel wells get damaged. You can also have brake wires torn off or other damages to look for.
I can see the risk potential there, for sure. The plan is to have the wheel bearings packed and new brakes installed after storage and before our first camping use. Being entirely new to the game here, I'm choosing to err on the side of overly cautious given my inexperience.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like you are headed down the correct path. There's lots of information to found here. If you don't find what you are looking for with the search function then feel free to ask questions. There are many knowledgeable folks here.

Tags
leveling, storage, winter