Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
JohnMpcny

winter cover or not

I just ordered a cover for my 29 Springdale, that I can cancel

Yesterday with about 5 inches of snow on the top and ground of most I went past 3 dealers as I was out meeting customers, all had no covers on their new models, nor did they on most of the outdoor storage ones.

I have been told for years not to use the blue tarps as they trap mold. My old airstream I always used a breathable one on it.

Yet I got thinking if the dealers don't bother, should I?
JohnMpcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Cancel and save your money.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:01 AM   #3
Canonman

My opinion, dealers don't cover their inventory because it costs money and would require effort and labor expense. Plus, they would have a hard time showing the units with the covers on.
I think using a cover is a good idea. I know that I might be in the minority with this but that's the way I was raised. "If you want to keep it...Protect it"
Our Cougar is covered for roughly 6 months during the winter/ski season. 6 months of protecting the roof and sides from UV, snow and other weather deterioration. BTW I do the same for the backyard BBQ
Don't know if you already have snow or not, but if it's practical I'd cover it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-8117.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	24520  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

There have been many, many posts on this. Personally, I did it once and never again. Had to buff out the marks where the wind beat the sides up. The covers in my opinion just give the rodents a pathway and hiding place to nest. JMHO
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
ADQ K9

For me a good wax job in the fall and shovel the roof off a few times in the winter. Don't have to worry about the sun much up here in the winter. Today the sun rises @9:53 and sets @3:46
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Bisjoe

I have a cover only for the AC that I put on over winter mostly to prevent leaves and fir needles from getting into it. Even the whole trailer breathable covers are hard on the finish when we have rain for 8-9 months with at least 2-3 heavy windstorms. Sun is not a problem, and snow is usually just a few inches and melts in a day or two (though last year we got 12" once).

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There have been many, many posts on this. Personally, I did it once and never again. Had to buff out the marks where the wind beat the sides up. The covers in my opinion just give the rodents a pathway and hiding place to nest. JMHO

^^^^^x2. The covers cause abrasions to the finish if you have wind. They trap moisture and cause condensation no matter the material used. They are impossible to mess with if you receive lots of snow. They hang on sharp edges then can cause breakage if they are pulled or blown. The list goes on. All to keep the finish in good shape. A good UV protectant used regularly will do the same and does not have the costly down sides of a cover IMO.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
bobbecky

We full time, and of course never cover our rig, rain, snow, sunshine or anything else, so it's in the weather all year wherever we are. From other discussions in the past, covering a rig can be very dangerous, for the person doing the covering, because slip and falling trying to get the cover on will cause much more damage than a little snow on the rig.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Jim2366

I do not cover my 5th wheel. I still have an unopened box with a cover for my 2016 Heritage Glen travel trailer. I am not buying one for the 5th wheel but may look into indoor storage.

I am glad to hear that it may damage the RV, but the reason I have not because I am afraid I may fall off trying to manage it on the roof.
Jim2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
I do not cover my 5th wheel. I still have an unopened box with a cover for my 2016 Heritage Glen travel trailer. I am not buying one for the 5th wheel but may look into indoor storage.

I am glad to hear that it may damage the RV, but the reason I have not because I am afraid I may fall off trying to manage it on the roof.

Jim, you are so right. DW and I were just discussing along this line this evening. Told her I used to be so fleet of foot and people thought I was quick and nimble, now as life has progressed, I weeble and wobble trying to walk puppy and do normal day to day business - I can't imagine trying to get on an RV roof and do "business" anymore. Sad but true.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

One thing is for sure. When you get the cover it fits nicely in the box or bag. Once you let that sucker out there is no way it's going back in there. When I bought mine it had a cover and when I lifted it I thought how am I going to that this up the ladder and on the roof. Then you have to figure out how are you going to spread that sucker out. Where is the front?Then what if the wind is blowing? I never even tried to put the cover on my rig. Best way to protect your 5er is clean and wax it before you store it. if it snows just clean off the roof. 1 or 2 inches of snow wont hurt anything but if it melts and freezes again than you may have a problem because ice is heavy. That would be my only concern.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #12
ChuckS

Covers serve their purpose but an RV must really doesn’t need one.. I’ve owned RVs for over 40 years.. I’ve never covered one and won’t ...

My current RV is a 2014 Alpine... the exterior looks as good as day one except for stupid decal on front of the nose..

Covering up an RV prevents air circulation, creates areas of potential moisture and mold build up, and in high winds could damage the finish..

I routinely open my fifth wheel in the winter months here at the house even when we have snow on the ground as long as sun is shining to allow fresh air to circulate inside..

My roof is as good as it was in 2014. I do keep all slides in during non use times here at the house...but I extend slides at least once a month even during winter months to exercise the hydraulics

With a cover installed doing any of these things would be a challenge

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post

Agree with this, especially if there's any wind or breeze involved. The one time I used one it was breezy (gets' that way in the fall in these parts) and it was like trying to put a "snowsuit on a snake".

I look at it this way, most rv's use roofing materials that are used on commercial buildings and the last time I checked they don't cover them over to protect them.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
Northofu1

I have and like my cover. It is parked somewhat near a tree line that westerly winds are blocked. It doesn't blow around that much. I would like to park it inside but good luck finding that in the Greater Toronto Area.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #15
slman

Some thought on letting snow sit up there.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...928#post330928
slman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
Rdynbama

I had a pole barn built to park our 2007 Wolf Pack Toy Hauler under when it was not in use
We bought that RV new in 07 and just upgraded to a 2019 Raptor
The wolf pack still looks as good as it did when we purchased it
You might look at something like that if you have room
Just my humble opinion

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #17
Whitewolf

At first I stored our 5r in a locked building at the county fairgrounds. I always wanted to be the last one in so I could be the first one out. Every year I had to argue with them to let me get the unit out because when I was ready for it, there'd still be 6+ inches of snow on the ground.

Then I bought an Adco cover so I could store it at our house. They're breathable so they're not waterproof. I got a heavy duty one because of the high winter winds we can experience. It paid for itself vs indoor storage the first year.

A couple of problems I experienced.

1 - It has to be a pretty calm day to cover or uncover the rv.
2 - The cover has to be totally dry before I could uncover and store it.
3 - Because the cover is made of the same material as those soft grocery bags that you can buy, there have been 0 marks on the rv, but the wind and rubbing on corners have wore a couple of holes down low. Not bad enough that I need to purchase another.
4 - A very enterprising mouse did indeed use the cover to climb to the main A/C and proceed to build a huge nest in there. The nest filled a plastic grocery bag. The mouse also chewed up some of the styrofoam that directs the airflow.
5 - If you're not very careful putting it on and taking it off, it's very easy to trip or step on things you shouldn't be stepping on.

I decided not to cover this year. That decision was mainly based on the fact that we are taking off for a couple of weeks in January. I really don't think I'll ever cover it again.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #18
rczapla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMpcny View Post
I just ordered a cover for my 29 Springdale, that I can cancel

Yesterday with about 5 inches of snow on the top and ground of most I went past 3 dealers as I was out meeting customers, all had no covers on their new models, nor did they on most of the outdoor storage ones.

I have been told for years not to use the blue tarps as they trap mold. My old airstream I always used a breathable one on it.

Yet I got thinking if the dealers don't bother, should I?
I had a new 2014 Springdale 226R. The first year I did not cover it. Had to do some significant clean up in the spring from collecting grime all winter. The 2nd year I covered it. The trailer was in much better condition in the spring grime-wise. Getting up on the roof to put the cover on/take the cover off allows me to "inspect" the roof and caulking. As long as I continue to feel safe up there on the roof, my trailer is going to get a cover over the winter months. I now have a 2020 Outback 335CG. The service tech manager where I bought it said to cover the trailer over the winter and put wheel covers on too. UV will rot the tires that just sit in place if you don't. I guess it depends on where you live and conditions your trailer sits in for months when not in use. I live in MI and see trailers uncovered/covered all the time. The uncovered ones look worn and the people who cover theirs have a tendency to not look so worn (paint fade/decal fade and just dirty). I guess you need to decide for yourself. To cover or not to cover...that is the question.
rczapla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #19
pmck

I had my cougar 22 rbs shrink wrapped on the top of the rv and install vents on the roof. It comes over the sides but can still access rv entrance door. Any snow on roof slides off due to angles from Ac and top of ladder on rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1048.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	24647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	24648   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	24649  
pmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #20
Park1911

I would cancel and return it. Had one once and it caught and held airborne dirt in the fabric. The wind battered the cover against the sides and caused a lot of scratches. Also, I nearly got blown off the roof since the cover acted as a big sail. Whoa! That was fun, NOT! Crawling around on the roof is just not worth the risk. I would try to find a covered storage area though.
SuperGlide 3300 Hitch
Park1911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter