Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Gpokorn

Battery bypass

Hello, I'm a first timer. If my RV does not have a bypass switch, should I disconnect the battery cables to prevent the battery from draining? And, since my battery is already drained if I plug it into a 50 amp to 15 amp converter to a shore line (110 outlet), will that recharge my battery? Thx!
Gpokorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
foldbak

If you're plugged into shore power the battery should stay fully charged. If you're not then to be safe yes disconnect it. I suggest your dont let your battery go totally dead and let it set for long periods of time. You could remove it and connect it to a battery tender or trickle charger. This would keep it charged year round.
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You stated that your battery is currently dead. Depending on the level of discharge (stone cold dead vs won't operate the slide) and how long the battery was left in the "stone cold dead" condition, you may find that the battery won't accept a charge or won't hold a charge and is "essentially no longer serviceable"....

A battery that is left connected to an RV in storage will, usually within a week or so, completely discharge, all the way down to 0 volts. If left in that condition for an extended time, it probably won't hold a charge, if you can even get it to start charging.

So, if you're storing your trailer, OEM battery cutoff switch or not, disconnect and/or remove the battery and keep it charged, either at home or by keeping the trailer connected to shore power. If connected to shore power, check the electrolyte level regularly (I check mine every couple of weeks).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Gpokorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
If you're plugged into shore power the battery should stay fully charged. If you're not then to be safe yes disconnect it. I suggest your dont let your battery go totally dead and let it set for long periods of time. You could remove it and connect it to a battery tender or trickle charger. This would keep it charged year round.
Thank you very much! Can I simply use a 12 volt trickle charger? Thx, GAP
Old 08-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
Gpokorn

Also, what do you use to test the battery's voltage? Thanks again everyone! Thx, GAP
Old 08-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know the age of your battery but if it is totally dead and very old I would just replace it; especially if you boondock and depend on it. I have sent out a chart in the past from Interstate that showed the effect of a total discharge on the recharge ability of the battery. On a new battery (marine/rv deep cycle hybrid) the number of cycles the battery can be discharged to 50% is reduced from 2200 to 250. Almost kills it by 90% - just one total discharge.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
GHen

If you are going to buy a charger to maintain the batteries, a battery tender is better than a trickle charger which may over time overcharge your battery. Harbor Freight has some battery tenders designed to stay hooked up all winter.
I chose to add a couple solar panels to maintain the batteries, works great. If we get some snow, I get power to rig right away or disconnect the battery’s completely. That needs to be done immediately. As said above, a rv in storage can have dead batteries in a week and ruined in a couple weeks. They are expensive, take care of them.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
Roscommon48

In future disconnect your negative to stop drain.

As for your battery, it just depends on your battery....have them checked out, may be dead
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpokorn View Post
Thank you very much! Can I simply use a 12 volt trickle charger? Thx, GAP

The difference between a float (or battery tender) and trickle charger is that a float charger will only turn on and charge your battery when it has self-discharged below a certain level, whereas a trickle charger continuously emits a small current of electricity regardless of the charge level or even if it's full
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	23193  
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery