Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #41
CampNBrew2

Since its 12vdc, the motor is reversed by the switch reversing 12v + and 12v - to the leads of the motor. So the wire that is grounded (shorted to ground via a pinch, cut, etc) will work on retract since the motor is seeing/using that polarity to work in that direction- ie that wire is used as the ground in that direction. Once the voltage is reversed by the switch, now the grounded wire is fed 12v + and it blows the fuse. Try removing the wires from the switch and metering the wires to ground. The motor should only ground through the switch. If one lead is grounded this is your shorted wire.
Sorry if this is unclear. It didn't come out of my fingers like I see it in my head LOL

Edit: I see Bostongone said this same thing above. I left the window open too long and didnt see it.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:40 AM   #42
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Run a jumper wire from the switch to the motor and see if it works. If it does, then it is that wire.

Fixed the title.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #43
lzongker

thanks

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions and I did learn alot about my awning. I know there is a short in a wire somewhere but it is beyond my pay grade to find it. I have checked the wires in the awning arm and can't find any bare wire which may be the cause of the short. I have decided to take it to an expert who has fixed these problems before and let him find the short. Hopefully, at $95/hour, it won't take him too long.
lzongker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #44
FlyingAroundRV

Just one more test before you go to the techs.
With the wires disconnected from the motor, does it still pop the breaker/fuse when you press Retract on the switch?
Not sure what that will tell you, other than there's a short, but it might give wiser heads here another clue for where to look.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #45
Bostongone

Did you get an opportunity to check the two motor leads (isolated from the motor and switch) to at least verify the short to ground? May save some repair time @$95 per hour if you can point the service tech to the probable cause and let him figure how to route a new wire if it is the cause.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:25 AM   #46
lzongker

I did not confirm which wire was shorted but it has to be the ground wire that is used for the extend side of the switch. To me the big question is "where is the short" I talked to the tech and he seemed to have a pretty good idea as to where to look. At this point, I am just frustrated and tired of dealing with the problem, so, am turning it over to a technician who has dealt with this kind of problem before. I received lots of good advice and really appreciate the responses on this forum.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #47
Bostongone

Well, good luck then in working with the tech! Hope the problem gets resolved to your satisfaction quickly and relatively cheaply. Post us on the final resolution.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #48
chuckster57
Site Team

Late to respond, check the motor wires at the awning arm. May be pinched, seen it a few times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

The two wires from the battery/converter "TO" the switch have to be good and operational. They provide +12VDC/-12VDC to the switch. It's the switch (not the wiring) that reverses polarity to the awning motor. So, if ONE side of the switch is operational, the wiring from the battery/converter TO the switch has to be operational.

The problem is in the EXTEND side wiring that causes the fuse to "blow" when that side of the switch makes contact with the +/- 12VDC coming into the switch. Pressing the switch to RETRACT doesn't cause the fuse to blow, then pressing the switch to EXTEND can't cause the switch to blow (from a wiring fault between the source (battery) and the switch. THAT WIRING IS INTACT and good.

The problem is in the EXTEND wiring from the switch to the motor.

It can't be the motor since it works in the retract mode and the ONLY difference in retract and extend is which polarity is applied to the motor contacts.
+12VDC --MOTOR-- -12VDC (ground) = retract
-12VDC (ground)--MOTOR-- +12VDC = extend

The problem is in the wiring or wiring connections from the switch, through the trailer sidewall, up the awning folding arms, through the roller tube to the motor contacts. SOMEWHERE in those components/locations the wire is pinched, crimped, insulation cracked/scraped and the wire is making contact with the trailer/awning frame, grounding the + side of the wiring to ground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #50
lzongker

last chapter

The tech found the short on the inside wall of the trailer where the wires enter the awning arm. He said it looked like a manufacturing defect where the insulation was missing from the wire and somehow had gotten shorted out with the movement of the awning or maybe a bump in the road caused the wire to jiggle. Who knows. Anyway, it cost me $95 to get it fixed. Again thanks for all your helpful suggestions.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #51
KeithInUpstateNY

Glad to hear it is resolved, and thank you for the update.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, bullet, bullet premier