Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
foldbak

Lithium Battery

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/Aims-Power-LF...40872930&psc=1
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Never tried it but here are 2 things to think about. First, your converter will not charge it so you must replace your converter or purchase a stand alone charger.
Second is cost. Unless you really need the power for the cost of the battery and a charger you could most likely replace the flooded battery 6 to 8 times. If the standard battery lasts only 2 years that's 12 - 16 years worth of batteries.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #3
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

I just had to replace my converter and it was a standard one $300
I can only imaging that one for a lithium would be in the $500 range.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
foldbak

This should work to charge it
I'm more looking for the amp hours. I have to run the generator so my inverter charges the batteries to peak about every 2 hours when watching TV. I don't use the converter. It's been removed. I was thinking with a 100 amp hour battery I wouldn't have to charge as often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_070806.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	24873  
Old 01-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I'm more looking for the amp hours. I have to run the generator so my inverter charges the batteries to peak about every 2 hours when watching TV. I don't use the converter. It's been removed. I was thinking with a 100 amp hour battery I wouldn't have to charge as often.
First, you'd need to know the total amp draw on the battery. It's not just the TV to consider, but the few lights you're using, the parasitic drain that the trailer has, the refrigerator operation and then there's also the inverter/charger "intrinsic power consumption" to run its cooling fans, monitoring circuits, power loss through the transformers, etc.

To me, maybe not to you, but I'm not about to get up every 2 hours to crank a generator to "charge a battery to peak" only to keep draining it to run back outside again before bed to run it for another hour..... I'd want a battery system that is capable of powering my evening consumption without any work on my part and I'll run the generator for as long as it takes "tomorrow"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
foldbak

I don't want to over think it. Not necessary. I've been using the same setup for years so I know how long it takes to drain the batteries to 25% and recharge to 100%. As far as stating the generator it's built in and I can start it with my toe while reclined lol.

The question is simply has anyone used Lithium batteries. I presume that with a 100 amp hour battery bank I'd at least double my inverter time. Just wondering if I'd double my charge time as well. And what's the true life span of the battery? With proper care I can make a acid battery last 8 years. And the fridge is always on gas. I don't run it on AC unless I'm plugged in which is rare.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I don't want to over think it. Not necessary. I've been using the same setup for years so I know how long it takes to drain the batteries to 25% and recharge to 100%. As far as stating the generator it's built in and I can start it with my toe while reclined lol.

The question is simply has anyone used Lithium batteries. I presume that with a 100 amp hour battery bank I'd at least double my inverter time. Just wondering if I'd double my charge time as well. And what's the true life span of the battery? With proper care I can make a acid battery last 8 years. And the fridge is always on gas. I don't run it on AC unless I'm plugged in which is rare.
Just a couple of observations on this post. If you are draining your battery to 25% you're killing it and shortening it's life every time you do it. A lead acid battery should not be drained below 50%. An 8 yr lifespan on a flooded battery? I'd like to know what brand that is.

ALL of the appliances (other than the stove/oven) require 12 vdc to operate the controller while operating on LP gas ar on 110 vac.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
Logan X

Two golf cart batteries will give you at least 100 usable amp hours at a much cheaper price.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:04 AM   #9
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Never tried it but here are 2 things to think about. First, your converter will not charge it so you must replace your converter or purchase a stand alone charger.
Second is cost. Unless you really need the power for the cost of the battery and a charger you could most likely replace the flooded battery 6 to 8 times. If the standard battery lasts only 2 years that's 12 - 16 years worth of batteries.
The existing converter will charge the Lithium's, just not optimally. If you have one like mine and can override the converter to stay in a higher rate of charge then that is better. One of the advantageous of Lithium is the ability to charge them full on.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 05:07 AM   #10
sonofcy

Quote:
Unknown seller, stick with established brands like Battle Born, lot's of sketchy Chinese suppliers.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 AM   #11
sonofcy

Quote:
Something messed up there, a modern TV does not use much power. Sounds like you have dealer installed FLA batteries that are NOT true deep discharge and/or they have been discharged at least once below 50%, which kills them and now you are just 'top charging'
Old 01-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Something messed up there, a modern TV does not use much power. Sounds like you have dealer installed FLA batteries that are NOT true deep discharge and/or they have been discharged at least once below 50%, which kills them and now you are just 'top charging'

I think you misinterpreted. The system works just fine. I'm just looking to make it a bit more efficient. The first thing I did was upgrade the batteries to Deep cycle. I purchase all of my batteries from a local co in Sacramento. Battery Bill has been around for decades and makes a great battery and stands behind his product.

And their certainly not surface charged. My Aims inverter/charger is a 100 amp Multi stage smart charger. I can bring them back from 11 volts inverted to around 90% full charge in about 30 mins. The chargers a beast. I would have put 6 volt deep cycle batteries in series but I would have to make a larger larger battery box and and dont want to have to deal with the 2/0 welding cable again.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
I think you misinterpreted. The system works just fine. I'm just looking to make it a bit more efficient. The first thing I did was upgrade the batteries to Deep cycle. I purchase all of my batteries from a local co in Sacramento. Battery Bill has been around for decades and makes a great battery and stands behind his product.

And their certainly not surface charged. My Aims inverter/charger is a 100 amp Multi stage smart charger. I can bring them back from 11 volts inverted to around 90% full charge in about 30 mins. The chargers a beast. I would have put 6 volt deep cycle batteries in series but I would have to make a larger larger battery box and and dont want to have to deal with the 2/0 welding cable again.
Works fine!!!!! Not if you have to charge every 2 hours. If you have discharged them to 25% they are all but dead. I use Trojan T105's and they are rated at 225 but of course only use 112. I get 6 hours of use for my 5th wheel on a 25% discharge or 75% state of charge.Since FLA's are usually rated for 300 cycles and are fully discharged at 12V and 50% at 12.4 V your 11V is beyond dead. Go to school on the topic. Yes a LiFePO4 will make things better because you CAN discharge them to 0, just make sure it has a good BMS, Battle Born would be a good candidate.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
Old 01-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
foldbak

Quote:
Works fine!!!!! Not if you have to charge every 2 hours. If you have discharged them to 25% they are all but dead. I use Trojan T105's and they are rated at 225 but of course only use 112. I get 6 hours of use for my 5th wheel on a 25% discharge or 75% state of charge.Since FLA's are usually rated for 300 cycles and are fully discharged at 12V and 50% at 12.4 V your 11V is beyond dead. Go to school on the topic. Yes a LiFePO4 will make things better because you CAN discharge them to 0, just make sure it has a good BMS, Battle Born would be a good candidate.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

Well that's it for me. I'm done being insulted by this group of rude grumpy old men. I'm not an idiot! Have fun I'm out to perhaps a forum that has a bit more common courtesy.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Well that's it for me. I'm done being insulted by this group of rude grumpy old men. I'm not an idiot! Have fun I'm out to perhaps a forum that has a bit more common courtesy.

I’m sorry if you feel insulted and we all aren’t grumpy old men. If you have a gripe with any particular member, you should try to iron it out in private (PM) and if needed you can ignore the member you feel is insulting you. I for one have found this thread interesting and As a moderator welcome other opinions and information as long as we can all remain civil. Let’s ALL take a step back, take a deep breath and start over.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #16
foldbak

I just hate people that don't possess communication or people skills. There's a way to make your point without making a person feel stupid or put them on defense. I was a heavy duty mechanic for 19 years. That included electric forklifts so I know a little bit. Enough to design and install my system. I was generalizing when I said 11 volts. Guess I need to be more exact! 11.SOMETHING. I've also been told a battery wont last 8 years. News flash! My 2012 Ford has the original battery in it and it ONLY gets used to tow.

Look I could run a test and show the exact battery voltages, conditions and time lines to prove my statement but really? I simply asked if anyone has used lithium batteries and what their thoughts were.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

As you know, some subjects seem to get people riled up and once your wound tight, it seems like your people skills take a back seat. I appreciate you coming back and I look forward to your continued participation in this forum.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
I just hate people that don't possess communication or people skills. There's a way to make your point without making a person feel stupid or put them on defense. I was a heavy duty mechanic for 19 years. That included electric forklifts so I know a little bit. Enough to design and install my system. I was generalizing when I said 11 volts. Guess I need to be more exact! 11.SOMETHING. I've also been told a battery wont last 8 years. News flash! My 2012 Ford has the original battery in it and it ONLY gets used to tow.

Look I could run a test and show the exact battery voltages, conditions and time lines to prove my statement but really? I simply asked if anyone has used lithium batteries and what their thoughts were.
Here is the voltage to %SOC chart (24hr resting)
100% 12.65V
75% 12.45V
50% 12.24V Min you should go to not severely reduce the life of the battery
25% 12.06V
0% 11.89V
From the site https://batteryuniversity.com
Also from that site is the following info re cycle life of different battery types.
Starter batteries 100-120 cycles to 50% SOC but remember a single start is a tiny fraction of a cycle
Typical Deep cycle 400-500 cycles to 50% SOC
Trojan T105 1,000 cycles to 50% SOC
LiFePO4 3,000 to 5,000 cycles to 20%- SOC
Hope this helps, not intending to be anything but helpful, but as a former industrial electrician I was totally blown away by what I didn't know about batteries and that is why I have spent several years studying them since I retired.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #19
foldbak

Quote:
Here is the voltage to %SOC chart (24hr resting)
100% 12.65V
75% 12.45V
50% 12.24V Min you should go to not severely reduce the life of the battery
25% 12.06V
0% 11.89V
From the site https://batteryuniversity.com
Also from that site is the following info re cycle life of different battery types.
Starter batteries 100-120 cycles to 50% SOC but remember a single start is a tiny fraction of a cycle
Typical Deep cycle 400-500 cycles to 50% SOC
Trojan T105 1,000 cycles to 50% SOC
LiFePO4 3,000 to 5,000 cycles to 20%- SOC
Hope this helps, not intending to be anything but helpful, but as a former industrial electrician I was totally blown away by what I didn't know about batteries and that is why I have spent several years studying them since I retired.

Well thanks for the lesson......but that's not the information I was looking for nor does it answer my question. I'll be sure to refer to this the next time I need a refresher.

I asked if anyone has used lithium batteries and what their thoughts were.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:39 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

I know that pleasureway uses lithium batteries in Their units, and most have a solar panel on the roof. I wonder if you might find better information if they have a discussion forum.

Tags
battery