Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
Jon119

Who owns a MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 376FL? Question...

Hi,

We are buying a fifth wheel soon. We love the floorplan for the MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 376FL, though we wish the floorplan was in the regular Montana line.

Here is the question. In the bedroom we only see one AC duct in the ceiling. We are concerned that the room may not cool down as well as the rest of the unit.

What has been your experience in warmer weather? We like our bedroom quite cool.

Thanks!
Jon119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon119 View Post
Hi,

We are buying a fifth wheel soon. We love the floorplan for the MONTANA HIGH COUNTRY 376FL, though we wish the floorplan was in the regular Montana line.

Here is the question. In the bedroom we only see one AC duct in the ceiling. We are concerned that the room may not cool down as well as the rest of the unit.

What has been your experience in warmer weather? We like our bedroom quite cool.

Thanks!
A 41' camper should have at least two A/C units with one in the bedroom. Could the bedroom A/C be non ducted? Does the lower plenum unit have some knobs on it? Oh yeah, the model may be 375FL?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
Carl n Susan

You might try asking your question on the Montana Owners Club forum (montanaowners.com). There are several thousand HC owners there who can assist.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
skippydo

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Owners of 2019 Montana HC. NOT happy campers hate to report. Bedroom has 4 round vents but the saving grace is a drop down ac unit factory installed, I guess. 15btu. THAT blows tons of volume.

Living room is awful and I do mean awful. We are not first time owners and tried every trick in the book to fix the volume flow problem. Apparently we are not the only folks.

IF you only have those circle vents your in trouble.
IF you have a 2nd ac unit in your bedroom PLUS those tiny vents you will ok when you sleep. But IF you don't have that big white blowing air thing in your living room----you may also be in trouble.
Have the sales guy plug your rigs in 50amps and turn on the air. DOES It blow super fast and loud OR do you have to search for the air.

Good Luck. We cant deal with another spring and summer/fall season with our very VERY expensive Montana HC. Trading very soon for Cougar with the right ac. Glad we found a few.

Very very disappointed. Shame they changed it because customers didn't like the ac noise. Bet they didn't live in the south..lol
skippydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydo View Post
Owners of 2019 Montana HC. NOT happy campers hate to report. Bedroom has 4 round vents but the saving grace is a drop down ac unit factory installed, I guess. 15btu. THAT blows tons of volume.

Living room is awful and I do mean awful. We are not first time owners and tried every trick in the book to fix the volume flow problem. Apparently we are not the only folks.

IF you only have those circle vents your in trouble.
IF you have a 2nd ac unit in your bedroom PLUS those tiny vents you will ok when you sleep. But IF you don't have that big white blowing air thing in your living room----you may also be in trouble.
Have the sales guy plug your rigs in 50amps and turn on the air. DOES It blow super fast and loud OR do you have to search for the air.

Good Luck. We cant deal with another spring and summer/fall season with our very VERY expensive Montana HC. Trading very soon for Cougar with the right ac. Glad we found a few.

Very very disappointed. Shame they changed it because customers didn't like the ac noise. Bet they didn't live in the south..lol

I"ve not heard this. We have put a payment to hold a 2020 HC 331rl. It has the 15k "quiet" front ac and a 2nd factory installed 15k AC in the bedroom. It has 2 runs of vents and they are ducted from both ACs. Had the service manager check out the front AC along with the ducts and he said all is good. The front also has the "dump" feature where you open the little sliding grate. I've not read the issues with air flow from the "whisper quiet" units before??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #6
skippydo

Danny and Susan,

Our large 2nd ac in the master is/was a saving grace while we slept. It blows out a blast of air for sure. Yes you can open and close it.

Ask your sales guy to plug the rig in. Run the ac's. Don't take his word for it. Once your in the rig during this 'check and see yourself'...sit on the sofa and sit in the recliners. Do you feel the air? IS The volume good for you.

Maybe you live and travel where temps are not hot the majority of the year. So, maybe you will be ok.
Last summer we thought it was just us and just our rig. Nope. We also checked with our dealer to see cost to change out to the old fashion ac in living room. Its a very big job and husband was quoted around 4k.

Just make sure your ok with ac flow. Gotta feel it for yourself and spouse as well. Everyone is different.

FYI, we used folding foil things to block windows. Same thing used for skylight above kitchen sink. Any openings we found we blocked and covered.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

What year is the trailer? I thought all the new Montanas had the whisper quiet racetrack design with 2 rows of AC vents and 2 intakes in both the living room and bedroom. I reviewed a quick couple of videos and see the quiet AC systems and racetrack vents but could not get a clear pic of the bedroom.

If there truly is just one vent I would be concerned for warm weather climates.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydo View Post
Danny and Susan,

Our large 2nd ac in the master is/was a saving grace while we slept. It blows out a blast of air for sure. Yes you can open and close it.

Ask your sales guy to plug the rig in. Run the ac's. Don't take his word for it. Once your in the rig during this 'check and see yourself'...sit on the sofa and sit in the recliners. Do you feel the air? IS The volume good for you.

Maybe you live and travel where temps are not hot the majority of the year. So, maybe you will be ok.
Last summer we thought it was just us and just our rig. Nope. We also checked with our dealer to see cost to change out to the old fashion ac in living room. Its a very big job and husband was quoted around 4k.

Just make sure your ok with ac flow. Gotta feel it for yourself and spouse as well. Everyone is different.

FYI, we used folding foil things to block windows. Same thing used for skylight above kitchen sink. Any openings we found we blocked and covered.

We travel in all kinds of weather so I'll be sure and check that out. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
skippydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We travel in all kinds of weather so I'll be sure and check that out. Thank you.
Your welcome.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:08 PM   #10
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

The bedroom AC in my 331 is anything but quiet.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post

Yes, I think that would be correct from what we've researched. The LR area is the "quiet" system, which we want, and the bedroom is a regular ducted AC with a thermostat in the BR. We like that and did not want "quiet" from the AC in the event we need it. Heck, we are the folks that run THREE fans in our S&B around our bed; we like the airflow but the slightest noise wakes me up....so, since we got married we run "noise makers" in the bedroom at night. We carry a fan to motels and if it's too noisy I buy a 20" box fan and leave it for the motel when we leave.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
skippydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Totally agree. LOL
Our bedroom ac was our saving grace. Very powerful and cools great. Wish they had the same in living room.
My opinion they missed the mark. Nice Rig otherwise.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
Sokcap48

We have a 2018 305RL. The way ours works is like this. Turn on the bed room AC and you have two options-there is a slide, if you open the slide it dips all the air into the bedroom-not quite but will Really cool it down-bedroom will stay cooler than the rest of the unit. If you close the slide the air from the bedroom is put into the whole system and distributed throughout the entire unit. If it is hot open the bedroom slide and it will cool down the bedroom very well but as others have said it is NOT quite. Hope this helps
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #14
Ranger61

We have a 2017 375FL. Air in the living room and Air/Heat pump in bedroom. Never any issues with cooling etc...
Originally camped central Illinois and now spend all of our time in the Northwoods of Wisconsin.
Must say that there was a water leak issue at the bedroom air conditioner. Solved with a internet search and some silicone into some factory holes that should have been caulked shut.
Ranger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:20 AM   #15
jimborokz

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
We have a 2018 3731FL, a very similar floorplan but with the kitchen and b/r reversed side to side and both doors on the pass side. New ones are 3761FL with the bath moved to the rear Kind of like the looks of that one. We looked at a 376FL when we bought ours but felt the regular Montana was a bit higher end and of course more expensive.

We have A/C in l/r and heat pump in the b/r both 15k and duct into the main line. We have had no issues cooling the rig down. We'be been in FL for a week now and the next two weeks look much warmer so that will really test it out. We also find the heat pump heats the whole unit fine on cool nights in the high 40's and 50's. When we're at our home base in NW GA though we need the real furnace for heat and of course the fireplace.

You might check out that 3761 if a regular Montana is what you prefer.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #16
berg

I have owned a 2021 High Country 376FL for a couple months now and been out a handful of times.

Shoot me any other questions you have.

Tags
montana