Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2024, 11:53 AM   #1
escarlson57

2018 Colt M-171 spare tire mount question

I recently bought a 2018 Colt M-171 RKCT & the spare tire was stored in the pass-thru compartment. I've noticed in pictures that the spare is attached underneath the tongue. Anyone out there have the same model? I was wondering if the tire is held in place with just bolts or if there is some sort of mounting kit. Thanks in advance for any info.

EC
escarlson57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 02:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Spare tire carriers under a travel trailer A frame is a "sticky issue that can easily become a problem"...

Depending on the hitch you select, the WD bar mounts may not fit properly if the spare tire carrier is in the wrong place. So, trying to weld a spare tire carrier under the A frame at the factory or at Lippert, can become a "works for some, needs to be cut off for some" kind of means of carrying a spare tire.

If I were you, I'd look at the option as a "possibility depending on other factors" such as where the WD bar mounts have to be installed, where the battery box is, in relation to above, between or below the A frame and how the propane tank is mounted.

In other words, I don't believe there's any "one size fits every possible situation" when it comes to the variability of hitches and other accessories that have to be mounted on the A frame.

So, on your "previously owned Colt", you might find that the previous owner had it removed so he could use a specific hitch that he already owned, or there may be other considerations that he faced that prevented him from using that option.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM   #3
cougar23

I would carry it in the tow vehicle if space in storage compartment is needed.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount