Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
bipolarcoder

Bad Luck

During the last 2 to 3 weeks I have been in a terrible slump. I lost my job (sole provider), we moved to a new campsite and:
1) Water pump is bad
2) Furnace Went out
3) Water line leaking

I don't know if this goes here but I needed to vent, you can remove it if you want to.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:08 AM   #2
bipolarcoder

forgot about black tank clogging lol
Old 12-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This is the right place to post....

That said, my Dad, when I was "centering on self pity from perceived insurmountable problems", used to remind of how temporary most "problems" are...

He's simply ask me, "Son, what was the problem you were facing this time last year that caused you to not be able to move forward and solve it?".....

You know, every time he asked me that, I couldn't remember "what was the crisis I couldn't solve 365 days ago"... They all got solved "somehow" and I managed to keep moving forward.....

Some people skip my Dad's question, skip the answer and just go straight to the point:

This too shall pass.....

Keep that in mind as you work to make things better for yourself and your family. It will get better if you keep working on solutions. If you get stuck on a repair, ask for help either from your neighbors/friends or ask here. While we can't "come fix it for you" we can offer the expertise you'll need to fix it for yourself. That's the "key to getting through my Dad's question, so that next year you won't see it as the insurmountable problem you view today.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 01:22 PM   #4
bipolarcoder

Water line fixed.
Black tank fixed.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:23 PM   #5
bipolarcoder

Also thank you for the amazing words, I greatly appreciate it. Your father was a wise man and it sounds like you grew into someone just as wise.
Old 12-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

<BLUSH> Thanks for that, but I was just repeating what I was told years ago... He was "wise beyond his book learning" or so Grandpa used to say.

I hope your trailer woes get fixed soon... Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:42 AM   #7
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarcoder View Post
Also thank you for the amazing words, I greatly appreciate it. Your father was a wise man and it sounds like you grew into someone just as wise.
This is precisely the kind of thread I like to see posted this time of year. Thanks to you both!
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:53 AM   #8
bipolarcoder

I appreciate all of you.
bipolarcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
dutchmensport

I certainly identify with your problems. Some years ago, I was terminated from my job. We recently purchased a new house, I finally had the job I really wanted, and life was on the upswing. September 11 changed the dynamics of the American life style and as a result of all the changes, I was one of those that found themselves abruptly unemployed. (Needless to say, within 2 years that same company folded up and went out of business).

Meanwhile, about 4 days after my termination, I had a car accident. Nothing serious, but enough to make me cry, and it was my fault. Fortunate, my car was not damaged, but the other guy's was.

I felt life just grabbed me in the groin and wasn't letting go.

But, in time, everything worked out. I ended up applying for unemployment. It was a far cry from my original salary (I was in Information Technology), but it did help, at least, keep food on the table.

I also enlisted resources at a temporary employment agency. I had extremely strong office skills, typing, computer, technology, so landing an office job was almost instantaneous.

However, I did learn that anything made from any type of employment was deducted from the unemployment check. I ended up receiving zero from unemployment, but still had to continue submitting statuses every week.

This went on for about 6 weeks when I landed another job. It was not in Information Technology, it turned out to be a call center collection position. But that company did have a pretty phenomenal IT department.

I put my time in the call center for about 18 months, then landed into a much-much-sweeter Information Technology position that surpassed everything I was doing in the company that fired me.

I stayed with that company, working in position until I retired 23 months ago.

What sometimes seems as a really bad set-back, will reverse itself and in the end will be much better than the beginning.

Hang in there. What seems as a shocking set-back now WILL turn around in a glorious victory. If you never experienced the set-back, you will never reach outward for a new change. The set-back forces you to reach beyond your comfort level, which can lead to unbelievable success in a new direction.

Don't get discouraged! You will have a turn-around. All the small hardships will dissolve, and in the end, you'll be much better off. Hang in there.... many of us were in your same shoes. We understand.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:16 AM   #10
bipolarcoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I certainly identify with your problems. Some years ago, I was terminated from my job. We recently purchased a new house, I finally had the job I really wanted, and life was on the upswing. September 11 changed the dynamics of the American life style and as a result of all the changes, I was one of those that found themselves abruptly unemployed. (Needless to say, within 2 years that same company folded up and went out of business).

Meanwhile, about 4 days after my termination, I had a car accident. Nothing serious, but enough to make me cry, and it was my fault. Fortunate, my car was not damaged, but the other guy's was.

I felt life just grabbed me in the groin and wasn't letting go.

But, in time, everything worked out. I ended up applying for unemployment. It was a far cry from my original salary (I was in Information Technology), but it did help, at least, keep food on the table.

I also enlisted resources at a temporary employment agency. I had extremely strong office skills, typing, computer, technology, so landing an office job was almost instantaneous.

However, I did learn that anything made from any type of employment was deducted from the unemployment check. I ended up receiving zero from unemployment, but still had to continue submitting statuses every week.

This went on for about 6 weeks when I landed another job. It was not in Information Technology, it turned out to be a call center collection position. But that company did have a pretty phenomenal IT department.

I put my time in the call center for about 18 months, then landed into a much-much-sweeter Information Technology position that surpassed everything I was doing in the company that fired me.

I stayed with that company, working in position until I retired 23 months ago.

What sometimes seems as a really bad set-back, will reverse itself and in the end will be much better than the beginning.

Hang in there. What seems as a shocking set-back now WILL turn around in a glorious victory. If you never experienced the set-back, you will never reach outward for a new change. The set-back forces you to reach beyond your comfort level, which can lead to unbelievable success in a new direction.

Don't get discouraged! You will have a turn-around. All the small hardships will dissolve, and in the end, you'll be much better off. Hang in there.... many of us were in your same shoes. We understand.
This meant a lot, thank you so much. I am hanging in there and trying my best. I am a data analyst so I know I won't get anything close to this with this job market.

It's stressful but I try to remain positive.
bipolarcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 09:48 AM   #11
Tom-67X

Well...I sure don't post much, just a lurker, but this one hit me in the "human bone". I pray the way is paved for you in this time of testing of your mettle. It's a reminder to me personally of all the crises I've faced and yet, on I go...what else can one do. Every day, every breath is a gift- just hoping you find encouragement and "feels" herein. Go forth my man.
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:31 AM   #12
bipolarcoder

Apologies for waiting for long to respond. I have been trying to figure out a plan and time caught the best of me. Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:33 AM   #13
bipolarcoder

I just found myself coming back to this post. It feels good to have something that helps heal. Thank you again.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #14
Camping family

Quote:
I just found myself coming back to this post. It feels good to have something that helps heal. Thank you again.
What are the furnace problems?
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 08:01 AM   #15
bipolarcoder

I believe it is the sail switch. Problem is to get the furnace out I would have to disconnect water lines or cut them just to squeeze the thing out since the sail is on the opposite side.

A tech told us it could be the furnace or the gas valve.

We decided to hold off on fixing it because we leave for Florida 1/4 and won't need heat anymore. For now space heaters are doing the job.

Future coder problem
Old 12-24-2023, 03:27 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I believe it is the sail switch. Problem is to get the furnace out I would have to disconnect water lines or cut them just to squeeze the thing out since the sail is on the opposite side.

We decided to hold off on fixing it because we leave for Florida 1/4 and won't need heat anymore. For now space heaters are doing the job.

Future coder problem

Where are you headed in FL? Lots of RV folks and repair folks there, might be someone that could help you get it solved.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:48 AM   #17
JShort880

Quote:

Future coder problem
Sorry to hear about the bumpy patch. Road always get smoother unless you let them beat you.

What line of work are you in? I always keep my ear to the ground for people I know that are hiring.

As for the furnace, we have two golden retrievers ours went out Dec 2021. The Engineer who designed that placement of the furnace with NO access panel deserves to (well nothing to terrible, but atleast be given a hard time). It's the only thing that I just leave on the "to-do list". We bought two stand-up space heaters for like $100 and they keep us warm (GA)

I'm scarred if I take on that task, I'll be redoing all of the wiring/plumbing in that compartment. If anyone asks what to look for if buying from a dealer, my number #1 suggestion is well don't and #2 remove any false walls/easy access points to look at the quality of wiring/plumbing work.
2021 Ford F450
JShort880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:53 AM   #18
bipolarcoder

I am a data analyst who primarily works with SQL. As for warmth we were living off two space heaters as well. But good news, in 3 days were are leaving for Florida. I am nervous about the 14 hour drive but alas here we go.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:11 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

I truly hope that 2024 is a much better year for you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:00 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I am a data analyst who primarily works with SQL. As for warmth we were living off two space heaters as well. But good news, in 3 days were are leaving for Florida. I am nervous about the 14 hour drive but alas here we go.

Don't be nervous. Take care and pay attention. Our trip is 22 hours and we did it for 10 years prior to this one when puppy got sick. Depending on where you go you may still need the heaters - panhandle and points above mid state. For us there is never an "alas" when we leave...it's just nice. Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote