Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2020, 05:32 AM   #21
chunker

The Itasca motorhome has a rear view camera with pretty good resolution and it does give a good view behind while backing BUT I always get out and use a guide. I tow a Jeep and can see it nicely in the camera. The Raptor 356 I am ordering comes with a rear camera installed but no mention of the monitor. Is that an extra $$$ purchase or what? I have found the camera helpful driving to help me keep track of traffic that is passing me or I'm passing. I also use the mirrors and GF to help but I also don't like the dash cluttered with all kind of extra things. Reference the comment about trailer tires, a good TPMS will alert you to a blowout or other tire issues. My TPMS has positions for 22 sensors, 10 for the coach/truck and 12 for the trailer. With some systems you MIGHT have to have all the positions set to the same pressure parameters on the trailer. So for those that double/triple tow you may have to decide which pressure to use. Regardless the TPMS will be helpful.

My steers are set to 110, drives to 105, and Jeep toad 40.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #22
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I'm not sure what you're point is?
Randy,JMHO, but I think that Marshall was referring to your triple trailer picture and not backing that up. If you do, respect!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're point is? I back up trailers everyday of my life without a camera. Both in hooking them together and in putting them to a dock. I was agreeing with the others who posted that a camera really doesn't help them back up. I also don't see a need for a rear camera while driving. The only possible benefit is what John posted about pulling a small trailer that can't be seen in your mirrors. Even then, whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen whether you're looking or not. But I agree the peace of mind is worth something. Perhaps you could catch a flapping boat cover before you totally lost it. IMHO I wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to add an optional camera. But that's just me and I've been towing and backing trailers for decades. If it gives someone else peace of mind and it's worth it to them then whatever makes them safe on the road.
Wow, no need to get yourself upset. I'm just happy as all get out for you and you're backing skills. I'd certainly hope that to be a professional driver you would possess those skills. I'm guessing that's a very small representation of the folks on this forum.

The comment I made was referencing the photo in your post of towing triple. I've yet to see someone back a triple up straight. If you have some mad skills and can do it, or if I'm really out of the "loop" then I guess I'm wrong.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #24
travelin texans

I was talking with a neighbor in a 42-45' motorhome towing a Jeep when the subject of backing into a site, I said at least with my 5er I could back most anywhere, he stated "I can back up with the Jeep in tow............about a foot".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I was talking with a neighbor in a 42-45' motorhome towing a Jeep when the subject of backing into a site, I said at least with my 5er I could back most anywhere, he stated "I can back up with the Jeep in tow............about a foot".
Yeap, with a fifth wheel, you've got maybe 12' between the steering wheels and the truck rear axle with the trailer hitch directly above that axle and then 25' to the "swinging trailer axle" so it's possible to "turn inside the longer distance....

On that motorhome, he's got 30' between his steering axle and the truck rear axle and then another 15' or more to the pivot point at the trailer hitch and then 4' or 5' to the dolly axle or Jeep front axle. That's a LOT more difficult to back than most people would imagine.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #26
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Wow, no need to get yourself upset. I'm just happy as all get out for you and you're backing skills. I'd certainly hope that to be a professional driver you would possess those skills. I'm guessing that's a very small representation of the folks on this forum.

The comment I made was referencing the photo in your post of towing triple. I've yet to see someone back a triple up straight. If you have some mad skills and can do it, or if I'm really out of the "loop" then I guess I'm wrong.
It's all good. Not upset. The conversation was about cameras so I truly didn't know what you were getting at. That's what happens with social media, there's no "tone" "inflection" or facial expressions. I'm pretty sure if we were all sitting around a campfire it would be a lot more fun to discuss these things. I actually hate having to write all this down but I'd talk your ear off in person! As for backing that set of triples I haven't met anyone who can. Though some of us do experiment and test our skills lol. You're actually looking at 5 trailers as there are 2 converter dollies in between each trailer. The dolly is around 6 feet long, has a pintle hook that attaches to the back of the front trailer and a fifth wheel plate for the back trailer. So that makes 5 points of articulation. Its like backing up a chain. That said, some of us do back a set of doubles with a fair degree of accuracy. I can usually put my rear trailer in between 2 other trailers in the yard. I once watched a guy put his rear to a dock. Remember that's 3 articulating points. When you first try it you get about 10 feet and the dolly starts to fold up on you. That's when most guys give up and don't bother. Only the anal stubborn ones like me keep practicing. But just about all of us can hook the rear with the lead and the dolly attached. Those who can't have to spot the dolly with the tractor in front of the rear then go get the lead. Again, all good!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Larry337 no problems. Current trail (in the sig) is 35 1/2'' tt. Used to tow 29', and a 22 1/2' boat. But what I absolutely HATE to tow is my 5'X8' utility trailer. I'll jack knife that little b-----d (what I've come to call it) every time!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #28
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Larry337 no problems. Current trail (in the sig) is 35 1/2'' tt. Used to tow 29', and a 22 1/2' boat. But what I absolutely HATE to tow is my 5'X8' utility trailer. I'll jack knife that little b-----d (what I've come to call it) every time!
Right! You should watch experienced truckers who only pull 53 footers try to back one of our 28 foot pups! [emoji1787]

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
So speaking as a truck driver who pulls doubles and triples everyday I see little to no value in a rear camera. Personally I don't need help backing, and from what I'm reading it doesn't help anyway. I use my mirrors driving, and if a tailgater is so close to me that I can't see them in my mirror then what am I gonna do about it anyway? The only possible use I could see is if im pulling a narrow boat or golf cart trailer behind me that I can't see in my mirror. Even then all it can do is let me know it's still there I guess. A little peace of mind. I don't think I'd want the monitor cluttering up my dash either. I have a couple million miles "towing" and just don't see much benefit. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it. Maybe it's a case of I just don't know what I don't know.
The opinion of a pro truck driver might help other pro truck drivers but if you are a backing up amateur like me, the hard wired camera helps a lot. I have to back up off a very narrow country road to about a 100 degree turn in parking spot that is 12' wide. With 1 ton Ford truck mirrors, I soon loose sight of the passenger side and have to get out CONTINUALLY to ensure I am pretty much where I need to be in my spot. Once I get the trailer in pretty much where it is supposed to go, I can then pull forward and do a final rear positioning and am good. My backing up skills are lousy and have been lousy for MANY years and even after many years of practice and having my missus stand behind the trailer with her arms flailing crazy circles (turn your wheel this way or that) and yelling at me would be fatal to my 49 year marriage. Give me the camera; it is also nice to see tailgaters out on the road.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #30
Ken / Claudia

Well, I do not have a back up camera. I do see them on RVs and if stopped behind them I always wave.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Try using a forklift every day to move things, and then hitch up with a long bed crew cab.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #32
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The opinion of a pro truck driver might help other pro truck drivers but if you are a backing up amateur like me, the hard wired camera helps a lot. I have to back up off a very narrow country road to about a 100 degree turn in parking spot that is 12' wide. With 1 ton Ford truck mirrors, I soon loose sight of the passenger side and have to get out CONTINUALLY to ensure I am pretty much where I need to be in my spot. Once I get the trailer in pretty much where it is supposed to go, I can then pull forward and do a final rear positioning and am good. My backing up skills are lousy and have been lousy for MANY years and even after many years of practice and having my missus stand behind the trailer with her arms flailing crazy circles (turn your wheel this way or that) and yelling at me would be fatal to my 49 year marriage. Give me the camera; it is also nice to see tailgaters out on the road.
George you're right my opinion may not be relevant to everyone but the reason I first responded is because the original OP already stated that he is comfortable backing, changing lanes, and spying on that tailgater. He didn't seem like he was really anxious to spend the money on a camera and was looking for a reason. So I basically agreed with him and backed up his line of thinking. If not for his first post I would've probably stayed out of it.

I also agreed it would be useful to keep an eye on a smaller second trailer.

In your case I think that if it helps you then that's awesome. I also think you're not giving yourself enough credit and you're probably better than you're admitting! We too live on a narrow country road with a ditch on both sides and that's not an easy back. You can't cheat or cut corners. When we bought our 40 footer I had to lay down extra drainage pipe and widen the apron. So kudos to you for your backing skills and kudos to being married for 49 years!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
George you're right my opinion may not be relevant to everyone but the reason I first responded is because the original OP already stated that he is comfortable backing, changing lanes, and spying on that tailgater. He didn't seem like he was really anxious to spend the money on a camera and was looking for a reason. So I basically agreed with him and backed up his line of thinking. If not for his first post I would've probably stayed out of it.

I also agreed it would be useful to keep an eye on a smaller second trailer.

In your case I think that if it helps you then that's awesome. I also think you're not giving yourself enough credit and you're probably better than you're admitting! We too live on a narrow country road with a ditch on both sides and that's not an easy back. You can't cheat or cut corners. When we bought our 40 footer I had to lay down extra drainage pipe and widen the apron. So kudos to you for your backing skills and kudos to being married for 49 years!

Larry, you nailed it. I don't, and won't, be towing anything behind my trailer (unless DW at some point in the future tells me what I want that I never knew about....again). I'm comfortable passing and watching folks behind me by using various measures. I am/was determining what I would receive to benefit me for a $700-1000 system that would give me above and beyond what I can currently do. My thinking was for backing into a situation which I already have in hand with DWs help but any/all additional information/sighting could be beneficial. From what I'm hearing they are good for monitoring behind you but not backing....which is what I was mainly thinking about.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #34
capnkirk4

As much as anything else, I can check up on traffic behind me and check on traffic in the left lane if I want to pass.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #35
capnkirk4

I only paid $79 for my rear view camera on eBay. It is infrared, wireless and has a 7" monitor in the truck.
capnkirk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #36
goodellj

IMHO the backup camera is somewhat useful in a situation where I want to back up a little, like in a truck stop where I pick the wrong pump. It is NOT useful for backing into a campsite unless you just want to make sure no people are behind you. So don't spend a lot.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #37
bbells

I love my rear camera. But, I use a $20 GoPro knockoff with WiFi from Menards and use my tablet as a monitor. Is it worth $20 to have a rear camera? Definitely. Is it worth $400? Probably not.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #38
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can flip through the different views or set the screen to see all 3 views.
You mind telling me how you got yours to display all 3 at the same time? I can get 3 (actually4) up on the home screen, but then it rapidly flips back to the last viewed camera.

Thanks
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #39
flybouy
Site Team

Danny, so far from what I've read I can tell you 3 things with confidence.

1. You don't don't know if you "need it" or "want it" if you don't have it or have seen it first hand and experienced driving/backing with it.

2. Worth the money or not. This is so individualized that some would say it's worth the $1,000+ they paid for it and others will say it isn't worth a dime. Sort of like dining out, some say anything more than a Big Mac isn't worth it while other's say they only will buy a steak at Ruth Chris or Morton's.

3. Everybody is "right", at least in their opinion.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #40
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I got this one for my new 5th wheel, much cheaper than the furion.

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-mc...ra-system.html
We just traded for a new 5th wheel. It comes equipped with the furrion option. Guessing the Haloview adapter will work on all/most furrion units?
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote