Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
LouiseD

Alpine slide won’t retract! Help!

Well, I am at a loss with how to retract my slide or what might be wrong.

We have an 2022 Alpine 3220RL and have had nothing but issues. Up til now, no slide issues. We have 3 slides, 2 of which are Equalizer Systems hydraulic slides.

The living room slide works fine and is hydraulic. The kitchen slide is out and will not come in…In Command just clicks when I try to close the slide. Touching the open slide button and the motor comes on and tries to open the slide that is stuck open.

I’ve read all the documents and watched videos and tried to do a manual retract by opening the valve and using a drill to run the motor……nothing!

By the way, the leveling system works as well.

What have I missed and what else can I check or do I just need to call a Mobile RV tech tomorrow, since today is Mother’s Day, I don’t expect service today.

I’ve been struggling with this for 4 hours with no result and of course it would be the longest and heaviest slide.

I need some advice. Stuck in Russell Kansas for at least another day.

Louise
LouiseD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:44 AM   #2
ChuckS

Since your system is the Equalizer Hydraulic system the Hydac cartridges that control fluid flow to the leveling system as well as the two main hydraulic slides are all located directly on the manifold on that pump..

You stated you opened a valve and used cordless drill to run the motor and nothing happened.. when you ran the pump using the cordless drill the slide should move.

This of course assumes you have:
.. opened the correct Hydac valve for the affected hydraulic slide
.. operated the pump in the correct direction to close the slide using the drill

The click noise you heard when you tried to operate the slide using the In Command system to operate was most likely the solenoid on the pump motor but I am not certain

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:48 AM   #3
ChuckS

This should be your manifold on that Equalizer system. S1 and S2 are the respective Hydac cartridges that control fluid flow to each slide out cylinder as shown in pic.

Double check that you manually opened the correct valve and ran the pump in the correct direct to manually operate hyd pump and close the slide when you used that drill and 1/4 inch allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8841.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	43875  

Old 05-14-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
ChuckS

Here are two more images .. one is the pump and solenoid and there are two fuses located as shown in the images to check.. but if the other slide operated fine the fuses are not your issue

I would be checking the fuses located on the separate panel inside the hyd door compartment as shown in last pic..

I would also verify with a helper that when you select the kitchen hydraulic slide that the coil that is mounted on the Hydac cartridge is getting a 12 volt DV signal when the system is operated via in command display
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8842.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	43876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8843.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	43877   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8844.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	43878  

Old 05-14-2023, 12:42 PM   #5
LouiseD

Chuck,

Attached are

All hydac are open, is that correct? Should I close all except the slide I want to close before I test again? Do you know or is there a standard SL1, such as drivers side slide is always SL1?

When I tried this before with all hydac as in the pic, neither side moved. I’m a bit confused as to correct steps to test.

Also, the fuses are not all 15amp as in your pic, but, it’s always worked before.
I checked them and all are good.

Thanks,
Louise
Old 05-14-2023, 12:52 PM   #6
ChuckS

Only open the Hydac cartridge valve on the slide you wish to manually operate.. using the drill... Also make sure you run the pump in the correct direction to perform the operation you seek (Closing the slide )..

If you manually open the correct Hydac valve for the slide you wish to operate and run the pump in the correct direction with the drill and the slide is not moving then most likely you have some crap in the orifice holes on that Hydac cartridge..

If you suspect this you can remove the coil that is slid over the cartridge and then remove the Hydac cartridge to inspect the ends of the cartridge and clean the holes out if need be.

** NOTE -- the system will be under pressure still so if you choose to remove that cartridge for that slide then have a bucket and some rags and slowly crack that Hydac valve loose till the pressure is relieved and the fluid stops draining and then remove cartridge.

** I have no idea of your mechanical abilities so if you don't feel comfortable then don't remove the cartridge valve

Old 05-14-2023, 01:19 PM   #7
LouiseD

Thanks Chuck…..I tried but failed.

Guess I’ll have a mobile tech show me for the next time this happens, if there is a next time.

Louise
Old 05-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #8
ChuckS

Also to retract the slide make sure you have turned to correct Hydac cartridge valve (S1 or S2) clockwise to seat the valve OPEN and then run the drill CCW to retract the slide..

Once complete then be SURE to turn that Hydac cartridge valve CCW till seated to its normal position to allow the internal valve in the cartridge to seat and hold retract pressure on that slide cylinder

Old 05-14-2023, 05:56 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

This is a very simplistic question and I'm not attempting to be critical of anyone, but have you, by chance, made sure that the hydraulic fluid level is correct ??? If the other slides are out and the landing gear is down, there may not be enough hydraulic fluid to keep the pump "full of fluid" and it may be cavitating....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, slide