Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2023, 08:35 AM   #1
Andrew262BH

newbie- what parts/kits to i need to replace wheel bearings

upon reading bad things happening on not being super attentive to the tires/wheel bearings on travel trailers

i would like some information from the masses on what parts I need to have on hand when I service the axels on my hideout 262bh

we have had the hideout since purchased on on 6-28-21 and have close to 2500-3000 miles of road travel so far

i am relatively mechanically inclined and can follow a youtube video and step to step directions - the biggest concern is making sure I have the right parts on hand and not missing those
Andrew262BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:03 AM   #2
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew262BH View Post
upon reading bad things happening on not being super attentive to the tires/wheel bearings on travel trailers

i would like some information from the masses on what parts I need to have on hand when I service the axels on my hideout 262bh

we have had the hideout since purchased on on 6-28-21 and have close to 2500-3000 miles of road travel so far

i am relatively mechanically inclined and can follow a youtube video and step to step directions - the biggest concern is making sure I have the right parts on hand and not missing those
You can acquire the bearing part number off the existing bearing, or visit: www.etrailer.com. They should have your trailer and year listed there. Your axle manual should have the approved greases, but not a good idea to mixed brands. I found Lucas Red & Tacky to be the common grease amongst RV'ers, which may not be on that list. It's recommended to replace the seals each time, but I've re-used them as long as they're not damaged. You either have Lippert or Dexter Axles, so follow their guidance on bearings.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven’t ever been able to remove a seal to clean and re grease the back bearing with deforming it. They are cheap enough to replace every time. JMHO YMMV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:40 AM   #4
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I haven’t ever been able to remove a seal to clean and re grease the back bearing with deforming it. They are cheap enough to replace every time. JMHO YMMV
Agreed.
I used to be ginger and careful when removing them. Now I just have them on hand and don't worry so much any more. I'm accustomed to disassembling aircraft wheels using lighter tools, because those seals and bearings are a bit pricey.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Look for the tag on your axles and then look up the bearing kits specific to YOUR axles.

Our trailer is a 2019 built in 2018 and we annually log 10-15,000 miles. We still run the original bearings, but do remove, clean and repack once a year with typically one mid-season check/adjustment. I keep a complete spare set of pre-greased bearings and seals in my toolbox in the event of an issue on the road. I have NEVER used the EZ-Lube grease zerk on the hub, that is asking for trouble. I buy Lucas Red & Tacky grease in a 1 lb. tub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0992.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	919.4 KB
ID:	43743  
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:52 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Look for the tag on your axles and then look up the bearing kits specific to YOUR axles.

Our trailer is a 2019 built in 2018 and we annually log 10-15,000 miles. We still run the original bearings, but do remove, clean and repack once a year with typically one mid-season check/adjustment. I keep a complete spare set of pre-greased bearings and seals in my toolbox in the event of an issue on the road. I have NEVER used the EZ-Lube grease zerk on the hub, that is asking for trouble. I buy Lucas Red & Tacky grease in a 1 lb. tub.
You typed nearly word for word what I was about to, as I do exactly the same.

Thanks! Saved me a lot of typing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:08 AM   #7
Weldon

Use the search function for thread started by me in 2021. I included a lot of the tools that I needed when I replaced my hubs and repacked my bearings. Might be useful
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags