Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2023, 04:48 AM   #1
Mic

Cougar Venture slide not going out with ratchet noise

HI all

so our Cougar 359MBI main slide start to give a a frit
it started to no come out and ratchet noise.....but I could bring in (even though already in) then immediately go out and it went.

not that does not work.

I believe it is a Venture slide

I went under and hand crank to start to go out...then under power it continues....albeit slower than normal.

pictures attached
it is the motor, a gear or a bind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230428_074043.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	43645   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230428_074050.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	43646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230428_074057.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	43647  
Old 04-28-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
HI all

so our Cougar 359MBI main slide start to give a a frit
it started to no come out and ratchet noise.....but I could bring in (even though already in) then immediately go out and it went.

not that does not work.

I believe it is a Venture slide

I went under and hand crank to start to go out...then under power it continues....albeit slower than normal.

pictures attached
it is the motor, a gear or a bind
I have no idea what a Venture slide is but the electric motor likely has plastic gears that mesh with the gears that drive your slide. Removing the back plate will let you get a look. On my Lippert slide mechanism (mechanical like yours seems to be) there are plastic gears that mesh with the plastic gears on the motor that turn the shaft that extends/retracts the slide. These were shot on my camper which is a lot older than yours. I replaced the motor and the gear pack which comes assembled to the motor.

I cranked my slide in MANUALLY with a wrench on that big nut at the back of the drive part and wish I had lubed the rail with the teeth first because it was pretty dry and this would have made cranking much easier. There was no way to get a drill/socket up in my camper even with a wobble extension (I think that is what they are called) There is a thread somewhere in the tech forum on this site with pictures.

Unlike your issue, my slide would just not move with the electric motor because of the gear breakage. I also had to jack up the slide to level a bit to manually retract it as the weight of the slide caused some binding. I now crawl up there once in awhile and use some dry silicon spray to keep things moving smoothly. I found a replacement motor assembly for a lot less than a Lippert and it has been working fine.

This might help:
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=51545
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, slide, vent