Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
tomek

Wiring Fan instead of manual vent on Cougar BHS32

Hello All,

I am trying to wire Maxx fan deluxe. I see some wire and in the opening but they only hot when light is on.

I am looking for an advise for to find always on 12V side in the dinnet area.
I see there is a breaker box close to floor and I can possibly run the wires there.

Any advise?
tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Do not wire the fan to a breaker, will smoke the motor.

If the light switch is on the wall, you might be able to fish the wires from the fan to the switch. And then just tap into the “hot” side of the switch.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:17 AM   #3
LHaven

Looking at the walkthrough for that model, the vent is located right over the fridge cavity, with one ceiling cabinet intervening. Under the fridge is the furnace, and the fusebox right next door. Running a new wire from the Accessories fuse (or a new fuse position if there are spares) into the furnace cavity may take a small new hole; there's probably already a hole for the shared wiring between the furnace and fridge, then snake it up the rear of the fridge (I can't find a view of the street side to see what external panels may make this easier.) The trickiest part would be navigating past (or through) the upper cabinet and into the ceiling. But it's eminently doable.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:10 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I pulled the old vent and trim ring down so I could peer into the attic cavity. I was able to see and grab a few 12v wire sets in the area and used a piercing probe with my meter to find one that was always hot (it was the line to the range hood). I separated the twin wire set I selected and tapped into it for my power. I installed a Vortex fan, but the process to get power is the same.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, vent, wiring