Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2023, 06:20 AM   #1
Bamabox

TPMS valve stems

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...1&d=1682518465

Looking to get TMS 507 with flow thru sensors. They say metal valve stems. Are these OK or do I need the all metal bolt in type like I have on my drag slicks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F820D54-7D12-43BE-B831-E5D32F28C0D2.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	43624  

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:10 AM   #2
Bamabox

Ok, just called TST and spoke with a helpful customer service person. He said for the flow thru sensors they highly recommend all metal bolt in stems. But he also said it’s just not a big deal to unscrew the regular sensor caps to add air. And they are a lot lighter so my existing stems would be fine. So going that way.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 07:26 AM   #3
Hblick48

I would never use rubber valve stems with regular TPMS caps. Centrifugal force will cause the valve stem to bend towards the outside on the rim.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:20 AM   #4
Canonman

I added the 507s when I replaced the China Bombs. Upgraded the valve stems as well.
Flow thru sensors are way easier to use. I like ours a lot!
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:01 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I've used the cap sensors on stems like your pic and had no serious issues - they are very light. Even though the stems were like yours with very little rubber at the bottom centrifugal force did push the caps outward slightly and left very small marks on the wheel. My wheels were polished aluminum and it wasn't a big deal; a quick swipe with aluminum cleaner and they almost disappeared completely. I went with solid metal stems when I changed out tires but for 2 years they did fine and the stems looked no worse for wear.

I'm still using the cap sensors vs flow through after quite a few years because I'm happy with them....probably a little lazy and cheap too. They work fine and since I've got to get on the ground to put air in the tires anyway taking the 2 seconds to use the tool to pull/replace the cap is nothing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:55 PM   #6
Cbrez

I had the rubber/metal valve stems just like the one pictured. We use the TPMS caps. One valve stem failed last fall on the way home from a trip. Replaced it with a full metal valve stem. After we got home we upgraded the other three tires to full metal valve stems as well.

My recommendation is to change them out. It is not expensive and avoids the potential hassle of having to deal with a failed valve on the road.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:31 AM   #7
travelin texans

When balancing tires they use weights by the ounce, or fractions of an ounce, so by the customer service agents comment what would be considered "a lot lighter" for the sensor caps?
Personally I'd recommend spending the few $$ for metal stems or leave what you have as a test the new system when the stem leaks.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 12:19 PM   #8
bobbecky

Even if you didn't use a TPMS sensor on your tires, I would still recommend using metal stems. A couple years ago, I was sitting in the truck eating a couple of tacos and I heard a loud bang and then air leaking. Turned out, the rubber stem on one of the truck's internal TPMS sensors blew out. All the sensors were still working but had to be nearing the end of the batteries lives. I had new sensors with metal stems installed so that problem never happens again.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 05:04 PM   #9
LHaven

When I had my factory China Bombs replaced. I asked for all-metal stems for the TPMS. When I picked up the rig I saw rubber bases on the stems, so I complained. The mechanic told me the stems they used were equivalent to metal stems and would work fine. Didn't know whether I was being fed a line, but I figured if one let go, he's the guy who would have to make it right, so whatever. And so far, so good.
Old 05-04-2023, 10:48 AM   #10
Hoopy Frood

FWIW, I have the TST flow through sensors, and I'd never buy them again. They flow air so slowly that if you need to add more than a couple psi, you'll be at it for quite a while. I simply unscrew mine to add air. To me they aren't worth the hassle. And metal valve stems are a good idea.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #11
DrSmart1

I have TST 507's on the rear of our TV. Last 2 winters while returning home from the south, a rear valve stem started leaking. Both times I had to put the spare on, find a tire shop while on route and get the valve stem replaced, just so I'd have a spare for the rest of the trip. Rough roads, pot holes, bridges, expansion joints must cause those sensors to wobble like crazy. Eventually the rubber breaks down. I'll be getting steel valve stems with the next tire change. Tire sensors are great until they cause the leak.

Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart1 is offline   Reply With Quote