Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2023, 05:43 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

The SurgeGuard 34750/34730 is a TRUE EMS. It will stop/shut off power to the RV when specific conditions exist. It is not "just a surge guard"...

That said, in the manual for that EMS, it states (in the chart and in the FAQ) that if either L1 or L2 is missing, the EMS will not allow power to the RV...

So, if your EMS was "missing L1 or L2, it should not have allowed the RV to "power up". I'd suspect there is a problem with the EMS. Some of the early 34750 series had a bypass switch that would allow the owner to "ignore a dangerous condition" and apply power to the RV even when the EMS would normally shut down power. This was "intended for emergency use" rather than as a "way to ignore safety"... In later models, TRC eliminated the bypass switch, probably as much to prevent lawsuits as to protect RV's...

Anyway, I'd contact TRC and discuss why your EMS "ignored the missing line voltage input" and why it allowed the trailer to power up under those conditions.... You might have a defective EMS !!!!!

Here's the Owner's manual. On page 2, right side is a chart. Line1 or Line 2 indicator light OFF, RV power remains OFF.

Also, in the FAQ's on the 4th page, there is a statement that BOTH line lights must be on or power to the RV is interrupted (see photo below).

I'd guess your EMS is not working properly or you have an older model with the bypass switch set to bypass....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LINE LIGHTS OFF.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	43729  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRCI Portable Surge Guard Instructions.pdf (1.05 MB, 86 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:26 AM   #22
wiredgeorge

Here is a thread on another forum regarding your Surge Guard:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/surg...-a-289742.html

I personally would purchase another unit from another company. I have a Progressive EMS (30A) hung from the pedestal and it has a lifetime guarantee.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #23
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The SurgeGuard 34750/34730 is a TRUE EMS. It will stop/shut off power to the RV when specific conditions exist. It is not "just a surge guard"...
If you say so, I believe it.

When I looked up the model [LINK], I got dozens of hits -- every one said "surge protector," and not a single one said EMS. Given the difference in capability (and price) between a surge protector and a true EMS, one would think if one were selling a true EMS, one would be eager to advertise that fact.

I downloaded the instruction manual you supplied, and found that it, too exclusively uses "surge protector" with not a single mention of "EMS" anywhere in it.

In my opinion, that's some pretty awful marketing; it's just leaving money on the table.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:50 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If you say so, I believe it.

When I looked up the model [LINK], I got dozens of hits -- every one said "surge protector," and not a single one said EMS. Given the difference in capability (and price) between a surge protector and a true EMS, one would think if one were selling a true EMS, one would be eager to advertise that fact.

I downloaded the instruction manual you supplied, and found that it, too exclusively uses "surge protector" with not a single mention of "EMS" anywhere in it.

In my opinion, that's some pretty awful marketing; it's just leaving money on the table.

The link you attached is for that unit on EBAY and the $139-159 pricing is for a USED unit, not a new unit. The 34750/34730 (50 amp and 30 amp) have been discontinued. I don't know why it is no longer sold, but there have been a number of "things happen" through the years with that model. First, there was a bypass switch and TRC modified the units to no longer be manufactured with the bypass switch. Then there were several fires reported and other issues with the units not "protecting trailer wiring"... There are still some being sold, probably "dusty boxes at slow moving RV parts stores" and the new ones range from $300-400.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Porta...-p/55-2569.htm
https://www.hansonrv.com/index.php?p...ventory_id=350
https://technorv.com/products/50a-su...SABEgJaFfD_BwE

That "low price for a true EMS" that you see in your link are USED components being resold on EBay....

The current "similar unit" is the TRC Surge Guard 34951/34931 and they are being sold for roughly $400 each, which is in the "ballpark for a true EMS"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The link you attached is for that unit on EBAY and the $139-159 pricing is for a USED unit, not a new unit. The 34750/34730 (50 amp and 30 amp) have been discontinued. I don't know why it is no longer sold, but there have been a number of "things happen" through the years with that model. First, there was a bypass switch and TRC modified the units to no longer be manufactured with the bypass switch. Then there were several fires reported and other issues with the units not "protecting trailer wiring"... There are still some being sold, probably "dusty boxes at slow moving RV parts stores" and the new ones range from $300-400.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Porta...-p/55-2569.htm
https://www.hansonrv.com/index.php?p...ventory_id=350
https://technorv.com/products/50a-su...SABEgJaFfD_BwE

That "low price for a true EMS" that you see in your link are USED components being resold on EBay....

The current "similar unit" is the TRC Surge Guard 34951/34931 and they are being sold for roughly $400 each, which is in the "ballpark for a true EMS"....
The IRV2 thread I posted says the surge protector the OP owns has been superseded by another model. I will say that even some EMS units are called surge protectors which adds to the confusion. Progressive calls their units EMS with surge protection.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 05:18 AM   #26
raptor0818

Good Morning, you guys never cease to amaze me. Your knowledge and experience is amazing and you are always there with your advice. I will keep and eye on the surge protector and if it happens again, replace the unit. Appreciate your time to respond and help. Thank you
raptor0818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:04 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor0818 View Post
Good Morning, you guys never cease to amaze me. Your knowledge and experience is amazing and you are always there with your advice. I will keep and eye on the surge protector and if it happens again, replace the unit. Appreciate your time to respond and help. Thank you
I wouldn't wait til it happens again, next time it may do more than just not connect 1 leg of voltage. Have you priced a new refrigerator?
A phone call to the manufacturer is cheap insurance. If they confirm you're OK then they will be responsible, if you wait til next time it's on you. If they are concerned they should send you a properly functioning device that will protect from all it's designed for.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote