Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
cologrl

Bottom to Top Keystone Lines

Hi all

Just joined and have many questions but I'll stick to the main one. After much research, Hubby and I have finally narrowed down our next RV purchase to Keystone. Currently have a 29ft 2004 R Vision.

Love the quality and floor plans of Keystone. We are still working on which floor plan and lines which is like going through the cereal isle. Too many choices and my head spins lol.

Can someone tell me the lines entry level to high top in select and luxury? We're trying to stay under 35 length because we prefer the state/national parks to RV parks. Towing isn't an issue yet as we want get the right floor plan and then the truck. Hubby's wants to keep it lighter 7000 or less so we don't have to go diesel.

We are empty nesters so don't need the bunks or toy haulers. We've been looking at Cougar, Laredo, Premier and Outback. I'm a cook so kitchen space and storage is very important but don't care about a full outdoor kitchen, just sink and grill is fine.

Thank you so much for your input!

Cologrl
1 hubby, 2 demanding malteses
cologrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Cologrl -
If you go to the Keystone website (www.keystonerv.com) you will find 3 categories of travel trailers: Standard, Select and Premier.
Two of the four that you mentioned above, the Outback and Premier, fall into the Standard group while the Cougar and Laredo are in the Select group.
If you went to the site, you can compare the features of each of the 3 groups. The Fuzion and Raptor are very large trailers and would be well beyond the limits that you set for towing.
The names of the categories change over time. "Mid level" has now become "Select".

The forum did conduct a survey in which members were asked if they would buy another Keystone and just over 90% said that they would. This is a pretty good indication that the majority of members are generally happy with their Keystone. I think it would be fair to say that most feel that they are getting good value for the money.

Note - I have moved this post and yours to the Prospective Owners section since you are not yet an owner and looking for input.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
MISailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Two of the four that you mentioned above, the Outback and Premier, fall into the Standard group while the Cougar and Laredo are in the Select group.
Festus, Maybe they changed the classifications again, but as of today all 4 of those product lines are in the "Select" group.
2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISailor View Post
Festus, Maybe they changed the classifications again, but as of today all 4 of those product lines are in the "Select" group.
If searched under travel trailer, you are correct. If searched under light weight, Festus is correct. Confusing at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
MISailor

[QUOTE=davidjsimons;62986]If searched under travel trailer, you are correct. If searched under light weight, Festus is correct. Confusing at best.

2023 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.0L V8, 3.73 Rear Axle (Photo to be updated)
MISailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
RockyMtnHi2

Welcome from a fellow empty nester Colorado gal. Went through the same search as you are and chose a Keystone. Also enjoy cooking and we chose a model that doesn't have the best kitchen, but has everything else we were looking for. To compensate, we try and do most of the prep work at home and just "heat and eat" while we are out. Hubby likes to grill, so that moves most of the cooking outside.
The rear kitchen models have the best kitchens for cooks. Lots of storage and significantly more horizontal kitchen counter space.
Like you, we prefer state/national parks and chose a smaller unit for easier fit into more campsites and easier towing. We've been to a few of the campgrounds along Highway 119 and it's a bit tight getting into some of those.
The search was a lot of fun for us - hope you are enjoying the process. Need any dealer recommendations? Send a PM if you're in the Denver area.
RockyMtnHi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I feel all tingly inside... I'm in the "Premium" category!!!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Who's on First?

I thought I looked at the Travel Trailer category when I copied down those classifications and who knows -- we all may be right !!

Perhaps the OP could pay a visit to Keystone's website, choose whatever type of RV they are looking at (5vers, TT, Bud Lites or whatever) and she can decide whether it is Standard, Select or Premium letting us all off the hook.

SAD - Glad to hear that your feeling all warm and fuzzy now that you are in a very Select --- whoops - Premium group.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Outbackmel

Wink Hey SAD

I have had many "tingly" sensations in my 70 years. Not all were good!! (Some were buyer's remorse) Premium CAN mean either superior craftsmanship OR you paid a premium price for the unit! But, if you are happy, i am happy for you.

Sent by a member of the lower, "select" class.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
davidjsimons

Most of the time I travel in steerage.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
cologrl

Thanks for the quick response

Hi all

Thanks so much for the quick response. After doing more research on the website and You tube videos, we'll now considering the Premier Line so instead of narrowing the lines, I added to it LOL. It's like buying a house! We're trying to fit two needs, short dry camping trips and long 3-4 month RV living.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback

Cologrl
1 hubby, 2 demanding malteses
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
x96mnn

Cologrl

Take a look at the Sprinter line which is also part of the select group.

The Sprinter tends to be a little heavier then the other models but have some nice couples trailers.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #13
chris199

My wife and I started last year with a 19' Passport. Little too small and low end but its a super light....have to expect that...still nice though. We upgraded to a Cougar..29REV. Perfect for us and an occasio al guest. Bedroom is super nice...v front has no sloping roof. Plenty of storage. Bigger bathroom. Im a tall/big guy so the full queen bed and the larger bath are super nice. Love the large LR in the back. Tows with 1/2 ton...Tundra 5.7L works really well.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
cologrl

Smile Final decision on lines

Hi all

Hubby and I spent another Sat at dealers narrowing down our newTT.

Three models in three different lines ...ugh. After this I could be a product manager for Keystone lol.

Premier verses Cougar verse Larado. Floor plan comes down to me loving a bigger kitchen/storage while hubby likes living space and light weight under 7k. Length is under 35 so we're good there. He's alittle worried since we're moving up from a 27TT and he admits backing up isnt his strong point.

Thoughts on quality on the lines? I love the openness/windows on the premier but feel the other lines mentioned are better quality.

Quick recap, we do mostly dry camping with 1 long trip a year. This year Yosemite.KingsCanyon.Sequioa in late Sept Within two/three years, more 3-4 month rving but in state/national parks over rv parks

thanks in advance for your advice!

Cologrl, hubby and 2 demanding malteses
Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
davidjsimons

I do not have the experience of many of the members on this forum, so I can only speak with respect to my own travel trailer, which happens to be my first one as well. I own a Cougar 28RBS and must say that I am very pleased with the construction and quality. One of the factors that pointed me toward the Cougar was the nose cap. I liked the way it fit over the roof and sides. Another factor was that it had steel roof trusses instead of wood. The Cougar is also fairly well insulated and has a vaulted ceiling. I also found the cabinets in the Cougar had nice detail, with the raised panels, no just at eye level but throughout the unit. Of course, this is all just a matter of preference. I am sure that many others here within the forum can share far more insight and knowledge. Whatever your decision, I am sure that you will enjoy.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

IMO, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the quality of the Cougar vs the Laredo. Perhaps a very slight edge to the Laredo. We have Cougar and we are quite satisfied with its quality for the price we paid.
Floorplan and layout are very important and very personal considerations. There isn't much to be gained by trying to convince you to choose one over another. That's pretty much your choice and if you both can agree on a floorplan and layout that suits you, then go for it. Getting advice from others about floor plans isn't very productive since what one member suggests another will suggest something different.

You haven't mentioned much at all about your TV other than you don't want a diesel so we don't have any idea about what your TV is capable of handling other than you want to keep your TT to around 7000 lbs and 30 ft in length. If you're set on your TV, then having a discussion about that is irrelevant.

The backing up issue will, over time, solve itself. Don't worry about it.

For me, there are two factors to consider given the 3 models that you have selected -
1) Choose a floorplan and layout that you both can agree upon. Each set out your priorities and things you are willing and not willing to comprimise on. Advice from me is really of little benefit.
2) Be sure your TT and TV are a good match. Can your TV(whatver it is) safely pull your TT?

Happy decision making!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
therink

If you ask me, with exception to the Raptor Montana and Alpine lines, I think construction on most other Keystone lines are pretty much the same with everything else added (appointments) being pretty much fluff. It all depends how much fluff one wants, color schemes, looks, options, floor plan, etc. My Sydney Outback has the right level of fluff for my needs and has held together well since new 3 yrs ago. I would consider it mid level.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
davidjsimons

The best advice I can offer is, as has been said, buy a floor plan than really fills your needs. When I sat down and made out a list of what I needed and wanted, it actually pointed me toward only two choices, the Sprinter 272BHS and the Cougar 28RBS. I was shopping within a length limit and a desired floor plan. There were a few structural differences that ultimately made up my mind but it was always about the floor plan.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #19
mecfd67

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
Most of the time I travel in steerage.

Most of the time I am the steerage
mecfd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
cologrl

Festus2 you make great points. It really comes down to the floor plan. I'm probably over thinking it but we jumped into our current TT without alot of thought and while we don't regret our choice, we certainly learned what to look for now.

I haven't brought up the TV because we have to purchase a new one so once we determine the TT, we'll know what requirements we'll need to tow and that's hubby's job lol. Ford or Toyota pickup will be the next adventure.

Thanks again for everyone's advice