Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
joswalt86

New 5th Wheelers

My wife, son and I are in the next 2 months going to be getting a Cougar 368MBI and a Chevy 3500 to pull it with. Currently live in the Memphis, TN area but hoping to live a full time RV life in the near future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are a little nervous about the drastic change but we are embracing the changes with great anticipation. Hope all are doing well.
joswalt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:44 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good folks and info here so welcome aboard.

If going from regular home ownership and moving to a full time RV life, yes, I would be very nervous as well. We have discussed it and it just isn't for us but we use the RV a lot. If you've made that mental transition and are OK with the change don't be nervous about the move to an RV because of the RV. We have lots of folks that can walk you through just about anything you might encounter. RV ownership opens many new doors and opportunities unavailable with a regular home.

The 3500 is a good choice. If you think you might want a different trailer in the future you might consider a DRW truck to give you more trailer options. They come with some considerations but keep them in mind. I mention that because with the mid room, if wanted for kids, things can "grow", if for an office that is different.

As you prepare for the purchases of both the truck and RV as well as the transition don't hesitate to ask questions about any facet of the change. We have folks that do most anything RV related so make yourself comfortable.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
Canonman

From Utah.
Sounds like full timing is planned for the future so you'll have some time to use the new Cougar and get accustomed to the differences between your "home on the roam" and your current stick and bricks home.
One big change is you will need to become your own utility and city services company. You'll deal with hooking up the water and power as well as dealing with waste water so I'd recommend learning all you can about these systems and becoming as familiar as possible with how they operate and what to do when they don't
I'm sure you'll find plenty of help on the forum with any questions and issues as they come up.
Enjoy your new Cougar, camp safe and often!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3890.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	41377  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:31 PM   #4
dutchmensport

If asking for "advise", here's my 2 cents worth....

Use your camper as much as you can before you actually go full timing. You will need to figure out a lot of things and it's much easier to do that while you still have a permanent dwelling.

Everyone who purchases a new-to-them camper, regardless of the unit's age will do all sorts of personal customizations. It takes a little time to figure out what those customizations need to be, how to do them, and then ... have the time, space, and money to do so.

Regardless of how new or nice your camper is, it will have a natural flow to it. When you walk in the door, you'll have an instinct to hang your jacket ... "right there! in that spot!" But there is no hook there. A Command Hook will work just fine. Run to the store, pick up a package of Command Hooks, and stick one on the wall .... Right There! This is something minor, but you also have big items also. These things are identified only after you actually use the camper. Maybe add an extra shelf in the cabinet, add a paper towel hanger, or maybe something not quite so small... maybe solar panels. You won't know these things until after you use it. That's why I suggest you take every opportunity to go camping while you still have your permanent home.

Also, you need to experience using your camper in all 4 seasons of the year. When it actually turns below freezing, THEN is not the time to figure out what to do. You need to know ahead of time what the game plan is to keep everything from freezing up. Same with air conditioning in 100 degree temperatures with no shade. How well does your AC actually work under such harsh conditions. These things can only be prepared ahead of time.

Also, booking reservations, camping in private campgrounds, resorts, boom docking, Wall Mart camping, State Park, State Forest, National Parks, National Parks, US Army Corp of Engineer (CoE) campgrounds, ocean, mountain, and prairie locations will help you understand and prepare for full timing. Once on the road, you won't be completely blindsided.

In addition, camping before you full time will also help you stream line how much equipment, clothing, and camping gear you REALLY need to drag along. Plus it help you adjust to downsizing... while you still have the comfort of your current permanent home.

And, it's possible, once you actually hit the road, you may find the adjustments are just simply too hard, space is too cramped, to many uncertainties, you or your family members need more "alone" time, or you may find it's simply way more expensive than you ever anticipated. If you experience any of these set-backs, you may want to scrap full timing completely. But now, you have no permanent home to return to. Camping on weekends, 2 week trips, and every opportunity you have between now and then will help you and your family adjust to this lifestyle. Instead of hating it because it's such a blind sided different lifestyle, you've adjusted to it slowly, made changes slowly, and had the time to think things through.

Full time RVing is more than just hitching up and hitting the road. You still need to maintain a permanent address, your drivers license, the license plates on your vehicles, insurances (both health and auto). You'll need to work out mail delivery, your banking needs, loans, cell phone usage, internet access on the road (campground internet is NOT reliable, some work well, some don't have internet at all). You also need to consider your permanent address for voting, and medical reasons.

From now until the time comes to hit the road, you have time to do all of this, to prepare for it, and to experience RVing, one week-end at a time giving you and everyone an opportunity to truly adjust and make life-long changes in your lifestyle.

I'm addressing all these items to help you be successful, not to set you up for failure. But if you want success and be able to truly enjoy your RVing experience as full timers, then you need to be prepared. Now is the time to do it, while you still have your permanent home to retreat to, regroup, and make another attempt if things don't go as well as you anticipated.

Good luck, enjoy! And by the way ... your choice of tow vehicles is very good!
Old 08-24-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your future Cougar and tow vehicle.

After looking at the floor plan for your Cougar, I love it. Especially the option for the king bed and the full size wardrobe in the front of the 5er. I would suggest that if you are currently use to a king size bed to opt for that option.

The reason I say that is my first RV was a travel trailer that had a king size bed on a slide just like the floor plan option of your 5er and the full size wardrobe up front. I actually do miss the king size bed, even though it was a PITA to change and make the bed. It's still not easy in my current 5er with the queen bed because you can't really actually get to the head of the bed. But I do miss a king size because that is what I am used to at home.

As stated by others, camp often and learn. There is a lot to learn and a lot of enjoyment ahead for you and your family.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:03 PM   #6
travelin texans

We spent just over 10 years fulltime, just the 2 of us.
I'll say I'd do it again in a second if I'd have someone to do the setup/take down, at my age that was the only things that got to be a strain, didn't mind the driving/towing.
Might want to check Escapees in Texas for a permanent address & mail service along other benefits they other. Florida & South Dakota offer those as well.
I'd recommend a TPMS system for the rv as well as a good quality EMS (Electrical Management System) either portable or hardwired to protect the electronics onboard & a good quality adjustable water pressure regulator (not that POS restrictor the rv dealer may give you).
As for other needs wait til you've spent some time in the rv before spending a lot of $$ on stuff you may never use.
Our deal was if you buy a new shirt we got rid of an old shirt. Once a year we went our "stuff", if it wasn't used in the past year it was gone.
Sounds like a good fulltime rv & truck so go out & make some memories.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:35 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

I think if you are full time you will want to check how your medical insurance works. When my sister moved here to Texas from Tennessee she had problems as she was in an HMO.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:31 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I think if you are full time you will want to check how your medical insurance works. When my sister moved here to Texas from Tennessee she had problems as she was in an HMO.
Fortunately my insurance was a PPO as the DW spent quite a bit of time in hospitals all across the country with everything from broken bones to heart issues the 1st few years of fulltime life, never had a problem with insurance.
In fact one of the doctors or nurses ask her "do you know the difference between a HMO & a hospital gown? With either you're barely covered!".
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-25-2022, 09:10 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Fortunately my insurance was a PPO as the DW spent quite a bit of time in hospitals all across the country with everything from broken bones to heart issues the 1st few years of fulltime life, never had a problem with insurance.
In fact one of the doctors or nurses ask her "do you know the difference between a HMO & a hospital gown? With either you're barely covered!".
Med insurance can get complicated fast and if a person is on Medi-scare it gets doubly so. I just suggested exploring that as you want to make sure that when you walk into an emergency room to get that thing treated the receptionist won't look at your med cards and start giggling.

I think camper insurance is also an issue when you full time as some policies ask if you live in the camper full time. They ask for some reason. Property insurance? Dunno if this stuff is a concern but last thought is to always use RV toilet paper (I know the World Toilet Paper Expert will jump on this one...
Old 08-25-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

One more stupid thought... I know you can live in any camper but are not some designated as residential (not sure the correct term) and some not? Not sure of the implications of such a designation.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #12
travelin texans

I ask my insurance agent about fulltiming in the rv & he stated that as far as he knew we were on vacation in it who knows where at the time of the accident or whatever the claim was for, in other words don't ask, don't tell!
I filed 2 claims while fulltiming, neither time did my agent nor the claims adjuster ask whether we were fulltiming or not & I did not volunteer that information, just where it occurred.
There's lots of folks, especially nowadays, living in their rvs, some mobil some stationary, I'd guess as long as your premiums are paid up you're most likely covered.
And feel free to wipe with whatever you chose!
Replacement undetermined

Tags
5th wheel