Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2022, 07:00 AM   #1
derowe82

Newbie... Hey y'all

Hey everyone! Hope you all are having a great day in your neck of the woods. As the title states, I am a newbie here, and also a newbie to full size campers. Wife and I used a pop-up for years and all was comfy until a few kids later, it became a tad crowded. Just picked us up a 2001 Keystone Sprinter 30 ft BH. Over all the camper is in great shape for its year, and can't wait to start using it. But first... remodeling it is our project this fall.

I am hoping to use this forum for tips, tricks, and any other info or questions I may have.

Have a good one!

D.

Quote Reply
derowe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Congrats on the new camper. I think you’ll be very happy with the upgrade. Pop ups can be a fun way to go, until you have to set up in the rain or heat. Wife’s uncle brought his out once with us, it was raining and hailing and just would not stop. He was soaked by the time he got done setting up (notice I said he). He has another 25’ travel trailer and thought the pop up would be “easier”. He asked me about it, I told him not to buy it, I figured he bought it anyway, he gets to enjoy the “ease” of owning it. When I was selling RVs, we took one in on trade, I had to set it up on the lot, 103 degrees that day…..

Anyway, enjoy the restoration project, ask as many questions as needed, you’ll most likely get many options on how to proceed
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Congrats on the new camper. I think you’ll be very happy with the upgrade. Pop ups can be a fun way to go, until you have to set up in the rain or heat. Wife’s uncle brought his out once with us, it was raining and hailing and just would not stop. He was soaked by the time he got done setting up (notice I said he). He has another 25’ travel trailer and thought the pop up would be “easier”. He asked me about it, I told him not to buy it, I figured he bought it anyway, he gets to enjoy the “ease” of owning it. When I was selling RVs, we took one in on trade, I had to set it up on the lot, 103 degrees that day…..

Anyway, enjoy the restoration project, ask as many questions as needed, you’ll most likely get many options on how to proceed

Hey, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the site is informative. Yea I actually experienced that popup situation the other weekend. Put up in 98º and torn down in a light rain... needless to say had to set back up once home to dry/air out.

Yea I am excited about the camper... will be nice with easy setup and being able to leave majority of our stuff (clothes, camping gear, etc) in it.

I will definitely be asking questions.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2022, 07:50 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by derowe82 View Post

Yea I am excited about the camper... will be nice with easy setup and being able to leave majority of our stuff (clothes, camping gear, etc) in it.

Thanks
That’s a huge plus. I never unload gear out of our 5er. It’s alway ready to go. Wife just loads up the closet and pantry/fridge while I check over everything outside. We can decide to go camping and be hooked up and ready to go in about an hour if we want.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #5
travelin texans

Now you need to go to the "cp", drop down to "edit signature", add the make, model & year of your rv & tow vehicle, then drop to the bottom to "save changes", then we will always know what your talking about when asking questions.
As for your remodel, BTDT wouldn't do it again!
Curious? What will you towing that rv with that will.hold all the family & enough to carry the rv as well?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Now you need to go to the "cp", drop down to "edit signature", add the make, model & year of your rv & tow vehicle, then drop to the bottom to "save changes", then we will always know what your talking about when asking questions.
As for your remodel, BTDT wouldn't do it again!
Curious? What will you towing that rv with that will.hold all the family & enough to carry the rv as well?

I will go add to my sig, but I will be towing my RV with my RAM 1500 Quad Cab. I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro system and plan to get coil spring air bags if needed.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
I will go add to my sig, but I will be towing my RV with my RAM 1500 Quad Cab. I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro system and plan to get coil spring air bags if needed.
You may want to crunch the numbers as far as the payload posted on the drivers door jamb of your 1500 compared to 13% GVWR posted on the driverside front corner of the rv for tongue weight.
With that payload subtract that calculated tongue weight along with about 100bs for that hitch & the weight of everyone/everything in/on your 1500, if a + your good, if - you're overweight.
FYI, the airbags add absolutely nothing to the available payload of your truck.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-17-2022, 04:15 PM   #8
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You may want to crunch the numbers as far as the payload posted on the drivers door jamb of your 1500 compared to 13% GVWR posted on the driverside front corner of the rv for tongue weight.

With that payload subtract that calculated tongue weight along with about 100bs for that hitch & the weight of everyone/everything in/on your 1500, if a + your good, if - you're overweight.

FYI, the airbags add absolutely nothing to the available payload of your truck.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll definitely take a look when I get home as I am up north but if I recall, my Max towing capacity is like 10,100 lb. The trailer dry is 7800 lbs and gvwr of the trailer is 9, 000lbs I believe.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:33 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll definitely take a look when I get home as I am up north but if I recall, my Max towing capacity is like 10,100 lb. The trailer dry is 7800 lbs and gvwr of the trailer is 9, 000lbs I believe.
I think you might be confused about the "towing capacity" which is a number that means little. Most trucks of any size can pull most any weight. The point is to look in your driver door frame. You will have a yellow/white placard that gives you your trucks payload which is usually the short pole in the tent. Check your payload and then compare it to 13 percent of the trailer's gross weight and add to that the weight of passengers, cargo in the truck and weight of the hitch.

Next get up on your roof and check seals around roof penetrations. Youtube is your friend and use Dicor self leveling for horizontal surfaces (just go right over the old stuff) and non self leveling Dicor for anything on a vertical surface such as roof edges. MOST problems in an RV are water intrusion.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
You've just mentioned 2 of the most worthless numbers concerning rv towing, the max tow capacity of any truck & the dry weight of any rv. Rv dealers are notorious for spouting these 2 numbers in order to sell rvs, which only get uninformed trusting new rv owners in overweight situations 99% of the time.
The max tow weight was arrived at by the truck manufacturers towing utility type trailers with all the weight directly over the axles considerably lowering the tongue & pin weights, something you'll be unable to do with an rv. You WILL exceed the payload by 100s of pounds long before you'd ever tow a rv weighing 10100lbs.
The dry weight of ALL rvs is the weight it rolled out the factory door, no batteries, no LP & no dealer installed options. You as the buyer will never tow anywhere near that dry weight.
With the calculations I posted earlier, that rv you stated has a GVWR of 9000lbs = 1100+ lb tongue weight + 100 +/- lb hitch weight + all people & stuff in the truck - the payload, the yellow/white tag on the drivers door jamb that states "occupants and cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs". Even if the GVWR was/is 7800lbs that's still 1000+lbs pin weight on a 1/2 truck most likely 1500-1600lb payload.
I have no doubt your truck can "tow/pull" that rv all day long & never break a sweat, the concern is can it safely "carry" the weight within the posted limits of your truck.
As I also mentioned, the air bags will only be good to level the truck if it sags, it adds nothing to the payload.
Not trying to rain on your parade, just wanting you to be informed for the safety of you, yours & the rest of us on the highway next to you!
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-19-2022, 05:12 PM   #11
derowe82

Hey thanks everyone. Yes I can honestly say I was not aware of the payload. I guess the trailer manufacturers and truck manufacturers can be misleading. I am finally back home from up north, so I will look into it tomorrow.

Thanks l for the info.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:51 AM   #12
derowe82

I just looked. It states my truck is 1430 max weight and cargo.

Trailer GVWR is 9620.

Did do the math yet but I might be dang close. [emoji51][emoji15]
Old 08-20-2022, 05:19 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Trailer GVWR is 9620.

The only way to know what your true remaining cargo capacity is to load up the truck and trailer as if you're going camper and stop at a scale. Most major truck stops have scales and Catscales is a nationwide chain. They have a very informative site www.catscales.com that explains how to weigh your rig. They also have an app for your phone that makes visiting easy.

This subject regularly arises and there are many, many, posts discussing weights, how it effects towing. If you search the forum with the terms "towing", "weight", or "overloaded" you will get plenty of reading material.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:49 AM   #14
derowe82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The only way to know what your true remaining cargo capacity is to load up the truck and trailer as if you're going camper and stop at a scale. Most major truck stops have scales and Catscales is a nationwide chain. They have a very informative site www.catscales.com that explains how to weigh your rig. They also have an app for your phone that makes visiting easy.

This subject regularly arises and there are many, many, posts discussing weights, how it effects towing. If you search the forum with the terms "towing", "weight", or "overloaded" you will get plenty of reading material.
Yes I will definitely go through that process as I don't want to take the chance of any major issues or putting people, my family or others in harm's way. I appreciate your guys's information as it is an eye-opener for me.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:57 AM   #15
markcee

Quote:

Trailer GVWR is 9620.

Weighing the truck is definitely the only way to know for sure where you stand, but unfortunately, I think you are going to be overloaded.

Available payload is simply the truck's GVWR - Curb Weight.

The sticker's payload figure was calculated when the truck rolled off the assembly line. It assumes a full tank of gas and that's it. Any 'add-ons' you, or someone else made to the truck since then impacts this figure.

I would load up the truck fully as you would for a camping trip, include all people and gear, fill up the gas tank and go weigh the truck at a CAT scale. Subtract the truck's weight from the truck's GVWR - found on the other sticker on your door jamb. This remainder is the 'payload' you have left to support trailer tongue weight, plus the weight (100 lbs) of the hitch.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:16 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes I will definitely go through that process as I don't want to take the chance of any major issues or putting people, my family or others in harm's way. I appreciate your guys's information as it is an eye-opener for me.
You're not alone in this experience. Most of the folks here, especially those brining up the subject, have been in this situation. It's the "dirty little secret" of the truck/RV industry. I think a number of RV sales staff are ignorant to the facts and a number are flat out lying a-holes taking advantage of uninformed customers.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:03 AM   #17
bsmith0404

Make sure you have everything set up correctly when you go weigh your setup. A WDH is designed to move some of the tongue weight back to the trailer, that will help your payload situation. However, even if you’re under the GVWR of your truck, you may find it to be an uncomfortable towing situation. 1/2 tons are designed to ride soft and smooth like a car. They have soft suspension and soft tires. No offense, but they’re basically an oversized grocery getter. Many people have spent a lot of money trying to correct these issues. Adding LT tires, suspension components such as air bags etc. Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:39 AM   #18
derowe82

Man, hopefully I didn't just screw the pooch.

That's not good.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

With your 1430 "max payload" number be cognizant that the rating is a best case number only applicable to that truck when it rolled off the assembly line. ANYTHING installed on or placed in or on the truck reduces that number. I.e. if you added bed liner, bed cover, running boards, floor mats, tools flashlight, and even the change in the cup holder REDUCES the available payload.

Passangers, pets, drinks, ice chest, hitch, ANYTHING comes off the payload. A 30' 7k trailer and a wdh will likely place about 1,000 lbs to the truck. That's EMPTY, I'm not aware of anyone that camps with an empty trailer. This is why I recommend getting your rig weighed. Why guess at something that could be a safety issue. No amount of air bags, helper springs, tire changes or hitch adjustments will change those facts.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

For reference the trailer gvw is 10,200lbs. 6830 dry plus 2790 cargo and 32' 3" long.

As stated a scale is the only way you will know actual weight. Truck and trailer should be FULLY loaded with all the gear and people just as it would be as you depart down the highway. With a bunk house I assume you have children which raises the number of items/toys that will be carried on a trip which increases weight. How much of that 2790 will you use? Only time will tell but I have carried up to 2k for 2 old people so I think it's entirely possible. With kids I assume it's only going to get heavier because every trip stuff remains behind in the trailer plus new activities are found that require more "stuff". Also add to that "stuff" that goes into the bed of the truck for family activities. I've seen trucks with racks for 4 kayaks, bicycles in the bed and/or on racks, ebikes etc. - you name it. The object of going camping is for the family to have fun and it's not any fun if all you can take are some paper plates and a box of plastic dinnerware.

If you hit the gvwr of the trailer and loaded to an estimated, middle of the road 13% tongue weight, you would have a 1326 lb. tongue weight. Add 100lbs. for a weight distribution hitch and you've hit 1426lbs which maxes out your available payload for that truck....and there's no one in the truck yet - or tools, or toys or ??

Just some things to think about. I pulled a 10k TT with a Ram 1/2 ton with a payload about 70lbs. more than yours and I was overloaded with only 2 older people. I also went with the little upgrades to make it feel better towing; Bilstein shocks, air bags, LT tires. HD sway bar...all because the truck was overloaded plus my conscience drove me crazy. New HD truck and it made everything light years better.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags