Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2022, 07:50 PM   #1
DaxWasHere

Shower Not Draining after only a few uses

We recently purchased a 330KBS Sprinter and after using the shower only a few times, the shower will not drain. All of the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen drain and I made sure the grey tank drains and was empty (just to be sure a full tank was not the issue).

I also checked the 3 air admittance valves and popped them off to make sure they were not the problem - the two sinks in the bathroom and the sink in the kitchen.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the shower to drain?
DaxWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #2
travelin texans

I guessing you've got another grey tank valve underneath the rv somewhere that drains that tank. May to crawl around the tires on the driverside with a flashlight looking from the frame outward for another pull handle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 PM   #3
bsmith0404

As mentioned, you have two gray tanks. From reading your question, it sounds like you only opened/drained one. If you have opened/drained both and still have the problem, please let us know.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:43 AM   #4
14george

Had a Laredo my shower drained in black tank
Old 08-25-2022, 04:57 AM   #5
Canonman

If it's not the grey tank being full, then it may be a problem with the P trap. Some RVs have been installing a flat P trap to save space. I'd remove the strainer in the shower and have a look for a blockage there. The flat P trap can be prone to clogging.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 05:19 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Specs say 102 gallons gray tank capacity. He hasn't found the drain for the second tank. I would crawl under the camper on the driver's side and look up and just behind the rear wheel for a second handle. Also, it IS possible the shower drains into the black tank; that is how my camper is plumbed. Makes no sense except it was probably easier to do it that way.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 06:12 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

"Flat P traps" are actually HEPVO valves. It's a "rubber bladder that allows one way water flow and prevents sewer gasses from backflowing into the drain".

DO NOT USE AN AUGER IN A HEPVO VALVE !!!!! You'll destroy the valve and have odors in the shower !!!!!

Here's a photo of the HEPVO setup. They are being used more often than not in travel trailers because of their compact size and smaller space requirements.

As a caution, if you remove the HEPVO for any reason, make sure you know which is the top and which is the bottom. If you install it wrong, it will "hold water and stagnate"... Typically, the grooves or knuckles go down, but essentially, the large part is on top, so the bottom part is flat and drains completely. Otherwise, your next post will be: "Why does my shower stink all the time"......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEPVO FLOW cutaway.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	41382   Click image for larger version

Name:	HEPVO VALVE 1.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	41383   Click image for larger version

Name:	HepvO.png
Views:	178
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	41384  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:15 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

OP I suspect you have a drain valve that you haven't pulled/emptied. Specs for that trailer says it has 34 gal. black tank and 102 gal. gray. 34 x 3 = 102 gal. Did you pull 3 gray handles and 1 black? It is a pretty weird drain setup. Attached is a link for the trailer. Look starting about 2:40 as they discuss this setup.

sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
DaxWasHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Specs say 102 gallons gray tank capacity. He hasn't found the drain for the second tank. I would crawl under the camper on the driver's side and look up and just behind the rear wheel for a second handle. Also, it IS possible the shower drains into the black tank; that is how my camper is plumbed. Makes no sense except it was probably easier to do it that way.
What I realized this morning when I could see all the connections under the RV is that the grey tank for the shower (and not sure what else right now) is connected to the same drain connection as the black tank. I had not noticed the small drain line coming into the bigger drain line from slightly forward of the black tank. When I opened the "black tank" valve, the shower emptied as well.

Based on what I learned this morning, I believe I actually have three grey tanks and a black tank.

There are three labels above the drains and 2 are labeled grey and 1 labeled black. The second grey tank I knew was empty because I opened it a few days ago to make sure there was nothing in it. This one is exclusively for the washer option and we do not have a washer.

Thanks for the support and guidance. Much appreciated!
Old 08-25-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
DaxWasHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"Flat P traps" are actually HEPVO valves. It's a "rubber bladder that allows one way water flow and prevents sewer gasses from backflowing into the drain".

DO NOT USE AN AUGER IN A HEPVO VALVE !!!!! You'll destroy the valve and have odors in the shower !!!!!

Here's a photo of the HEPVO setup. They are being used more often than not in travel trailers because of their compact size and smaller space requirements.

As a caution, if you remove the HEPVO for any reason, make sure you know which is the top and which is the bottom. If you install it wrong, it will "hold water and stagnate"... Typically, the grooves or knuckles go down, but essentially, the large part is on top, so the bottom part is flat and drains completely. Otherwise, your next post will be: "Why does my shower stink all the time"......
I saw the HEPVO information on another thread as I was searching the web for information. Not sure if you had also posted that. I appreciate this level of because it will help me make sure I never use a snake in the system.

Much appreciate the response!
Old 08-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #11
travelin texans

Most likely you have 1 black tank, unless you have more than 1 toilet, & 2 grey tanks -1 for the shower/bath lavatory & 1 for the kitchen. The washer connection is most likely connected to 1 of those grey tanks, whichever it's closest to.
There shouldn't be an air admittance valve for the toilet or the shower, they should only vent through the roof. There may be air admittance valves at the bath sink & the kitchen sink. Any or all the sinks & shower could possibly have the Hepvo type trap, so DO NOT snake or use any harsh chemicals down any of the drains or risk damaging the rubber sleeve in them.
Also if connected to a campground sewer connection NEVER leave the black tank drain valve open, fill & drain as needed. You can leave the grey valve for the shower open if you'd like, some say not to, but you'll be draining that tank very often if shower is used a lot, just be sure to close it a couple days before needing to drain the black so you have plenty to rinse the hose after draining the black.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Danny's video posted showed the poor lady who did the video crawling around like a racoon to where an owner would have to crawl to dump all those drains and noting that they would be a challenge to put into a TRI pipe of some sort. I think this is a wonderful innovation for a person 19 years old but once you get to my age crawling under a trailer to pull dump valves doesn't seem like an innovation but perhaps a punishment.

The lady in the video was real positive about the slides. Cable. 'nuf said.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #13
DaxWasHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
OP I suspect you have a drain valve that you haven't pulled/emptied. Specs for that trailer says it has 34 gal. black tank and 102 gal. gray. 34 x 3 = 102 gal. Did you pull 3 gray handles and 1 black? It is a pretty weird drain setup. Attached is a link for the trailer. Look starting about 2:40 as they discuss this setup.

Danny

Thanks for sharing the video. As she described the various tanks and drains, the middle drain is the one that has two tanks connected to it. I did not initially open this valve because it was labeled Black on the side of the RV. As the video shows, there are two lines feeding the value and once I opened this valve, the shower drained.

I noticed later today that under the slide, there is a handle that I suspect is for the black tank. I closed this value so that I can determine how long it takes to fill the black tank separately from the grey tank on the same valve.

Thanks for the info! Very enlightening!
Old 08-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxWasHere View Post
We recently purchased a 330KBS Sprinter and after using the shower only a few times, the shower will not drain. All of the sinks in the bathroom and kitchen drain and I made sure the grey tank drains and was empty (just to be sure a full tank was not the issue).

I also checked the 3 air admittance valves and popped them off to make sure they were not the problem - the two sinks in the bathroom and the sink in the kitchen.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get the shower to drain?
Watch starting at about 1:52
Old 08-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #15
DaxWasHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Most likely you have 1 black tank, unless you have more than 1 toilet, & 2 grey tanks -1 for the shower/bath lavatory & 1 for the kitchen. The washer connection is most likely connected to 1 of those grey tanks, whichever it's closest to.
There shouldn't be an air admittance valve for the toilet or the shower, they should only vent through the roof. There may be air admittance valves at the bath sink & the kitchen sink. Any or all the sinks & shower could possibly have the Hepvo type trap, so DO NOT snake or use any harsh chemicals down any of the drains or risk damaging the rubber sleeve in them.
Also if connected to a campground sewer connection NEVER leave the black tank drain valve open, fill & drain as needed. You can leave the grey valve for the shower open if you'd like, some say not to, but you'll be draining that tank very often if shower is used a lot, just be sure to close it a couple days before needing to drain the black so you have plenty to rinse the hose after draining the black.
George

That makes sense. From what I can see under the trailer, there is a tank at the very back of the trailer under the storage area that contains the washer/dryer hookups. I have opened that valve a few times and nothing comes out so I suspect it is dedicated to the washer/dryer setup.

Considering that Keystone does not publish diagrams, I would need to take the bottom off the trailer to expose the tanks. I am not prepared to do that right now but i am sure I will be given a good reason to do so in the coming years. At that point, I can take pictures and share with the forum!

Thanks for the support!
Old 08-26-2022, 09:45 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

Most trailers use all waste tanks the same size in each model. Specs for yours show 1 black tank at 34 gals. and 2 gray tanks for 102 gals.. (34 x 3 = 102 ) Seems like someone is missing a tank somewhere. Although they are not accurate, what do your gauges say and how many are shown? If this is a new trailer, what does your dealer say. Please fill out a signature with year and model of your trailer and tow vehicle to give us info to help you.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:20 AM   #17
DaxWasHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Most trailers use all waste tanks the same size in each model. Specs for yours show 1 black tank at 34 gals. and 2 gray tanks for 102 gals.. (34 x 3 = 102 ) Seems like someone is missing a tank somewhere. Although they are not accurate, what do your gauges say and how many are shown? If this is a new trailer, what does your dealer say. Please fill out a signature with year and model of your trailer and tow vehicle to give us info to help you.
Hank

When I picked up the RV, the dealer technician told me the tank count on the panel was not correct, although I am quickly learning that the panel may be more correct than not. I show lights for bath 1 - grey and black; bath -2 grey and black; and grey -3.

I have drains for at least 3 tanks and the 2nd drain appears to have a grey and blank tank attached. I am currently testing my theory that the black tank and grey tank are on the same drain. It appears I really have 3 grey tanks and 1 blank tank.

Thanks for the information.

I also updated my signature! Thanks!
Old 08-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Hank

When I picked up the RV, the dealer technician told me the tank count on the panel was not correct, although I am quickly learning that the panel may be more correct than not. I show lights for bath 1 - grey and black; bath -2 grey and black; and grey -3.

I have drains for at least 3 tanks and the 2nd drain appears to have a grey and blank tank attached. I am currently testing my theory that the black tank and grey tank are on the same drain. It appears I really have 3 grey tanks and 1 blank tank.

Thanks for the information.

I also updated my signature! Thanks!
That video shows 3 separate lines.. one way in the back, one in the middle and one forward... how many lines have you emptied????
Old 08-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #19
DaxWasHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
That video shows 3 separate lines.. one way in the back, one in the middle and one forward... how many lines have you emptied????

There are three drains and I have opened all three. The third (in the back) is empty and services the washer only so nothing these.

The front appears to be for the kitchen while the middle appears to be the shower/sinks in the bath for the grey tank and the toilet to the black tank. I closed the blank tank valve (i discovered it was open so when you open the main drain valve, the grey and black tanks both empty.

I am leaving my grey tanks open at the moment. I suspect this will not be a problem because all the sinks and shower have P traps under them.

Thanks!
Dave

2018 Silverado High Country 6.2L
2022 Sprinter Limited 330KBS
Temporarily Full-Time
Old 08-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
There are three drains and I have opened all three. The third (in the back) is empty and services the washer only so nothing these.

The front appears to be for the kitchen while the middle appears to be the shower/sinks in the bath for the grey tank and the toilet to the black tank. I closed the blank tank valve (i discovered it was open so when you open the main drain valve, the grey and black tanks both empty.

I am leaving my grey tanks open at the moment. I suspect this will not be a problem because all the sinks and shower have P traps under them.

Thanks!
Dave
I have two gray tanks; one for the bath sink and one for the kitchen sink. The kitchen sink emplies into a galley tank which is at the very rear of my camper. The handle for the dump valve is behind the rear wheel and I must crawl under my slide and then under the trailer to get to it. I used to leave it open but the trailer filled with GNATS. The gnats came out of the sewer. Now I installed a dump valve at the end of my single outlet (dumps all three tanks) and now again leave the dump valve open so I don't have to crawl under the camper and keep the black and other gray tank closed till I want to dump and then open those valves and then the dump/gate valve on the end out my sewer pipe when I want to dump. Hope this made sense.

Tags
drain